HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 12:16 AM

Excavation Underway At Edgewater Apartments At 230 North 23rd Street In Logan Square

Rendering:

Rendering:

Aerial Rendering:

Current progress:

Current progress:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/exca...nter-city.html

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 12:17 AM

Permits Issued For 176-Unit Building At 3417 West Indiana Avenue In Allegheny West

Rendering:

Aerial of current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 12:19 AM

Permits Issued For 195-Unit Building At 933 North Penn Street on the Waterfront

Rendering (on the left):

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/perm...iladelphi.html

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I remember seeing renders a little bit back but a foundation is being excavated at the NE corner of 8th and Spring Garden.
This one?

https://phillyyimby.com/2020/11/seve...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 2:03 PM

Yup thats where a foundation is currently being dug.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 6:18 PM
Chris

Good Lookin’ Building Will Replace Laundromat in Spring Garden

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-spring-garden

What a great addition to that neighborhood!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
So my point is simply, I wish Levy was more cognizant of these realities and rather than hoping for a return to the past that is never happening, he'd be more concentrated with leveraging the many advantages Philly has that has allowed this city to respond to the pandemic better than most.
I'm positive that Paul Levy does not think things are going to go back to the way things were, but the city is definitely best served by retaining as many workers as possible. Sometimes, and I know this is going to come as quite the shock, NFL coaches aren't completely transparent at press conferences when it doesn't suit their purposes.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsarstruck View Post
I'm positive that Paul Levy does not think things are going to go back to the way things were, but the city is definitely best served by retaining as many workers as possible. Sometimes, and I know this is going to come as quite the shock, NFL coaches aren't completely transparent at press conferences when it doesn't suit their purposes.
As of now, I’m feeling a little more optimistic that things will start returning to normal sooner than later. Human nature has a funny way of re-centering itself after periods of upheaval. At some point, I suspect working from home will slowly be seen as less of a luxury or convenience and become more of a hindrance. I actually started working from home right after college at a start up company that was and continues to be completely remote. This was roughly ten years ago when most people I knew still worked on site. The first few years were great - rolling out of bed in your pj’s, no commute, flexible hours. However, a few years later I realized how isolated I was and that I wasn’t meeting new people or building relationships. Face to face interaction is important for collaboration, project/business development and frankly just life in general. I understand that working remotely can be great for the stay at home parent, but from what I’ve been hearing lately, people really want to get out of their homes. So while the typical 8-5 cubical life may not fully return, I don’t think the supposed “post pandemic remote work schedule” will necessarily hold either. And I’m by no means an an extrovert, but frankly it’s been driving me crazy and it can be rather depressing to say the least.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 11:27 PM

From what I'm hearing from people is that most are doing a 3 days in, 2 days out schedule - with flexibility of course. I'm in Monday-Wednesday-Friday and home Tuesday-Thursday, but if I needed to work from home a day I'm supposed to be in, it's not a big deal. I think 3/2 is the perfect balance.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Dec 28, 2021 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
I think you missed the point of Penguin was trying to say. He was trying to say you don't need to be a real estate developer to want to see more real estate and economic development in Philadelphia. There's this whole ethos growing on the left that is pitting "Progressives" vs. The Evil Real Estate Developers who want to "ruin the city". They put real estate developers up there with corrupt police and polluters. Cardeza just continues to repeat that sentiment.

...snip...

Inclusionary zoning laws have their origins in exclusive suburbs of the US (Fairfax County VA to be particular, sure seems to have made housing affordable there.. not). It was a tool to downzone and keep people certain people out. Philly city council wants to do very much the same. This isn't a new phenomenon either. While cities like Charlotte and Minneapolis have been cheered for their land-use liberalization, Philadelphia has been headed in the opposite direction.

Yes thank you, this explained my thinking a bit better I hope. Trying to justify bad housing laws because it might get back at developers or whatever will lead to very big, very real negative consequences for people that have nothing to do with developers.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 7:22 PM
Chris

I heard through the social media grapevine that there is a plan to replace the arson buildings on 1700 Block of Walnut. Combining the 3 lots into 1 and constructing a 12 story building? Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Also Dr. Martens re-opened next door, great to see an actual store open on Walnut Street.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 7:54 PM
Fishtown & Country

12/29
Frankford - York - Trenton intersection

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 7:57 PM
Fishtown & Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post

Also Dr. Martens re-opened next door, great to see an actual store open on Walnut Street.
Thanks for that info... wanted to get some boots, but thought it had closed for good. (Oddly, still listed as closed on their website though.)

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
I heard through the social media grapevine that there is a plan to replace the arson buildings on 1700 Block of Walnut. Combining the 3 lots into 1 and constructing a 12 story building? Does that ring a bell for anyone?

This is great news if true. As always around here I wish they’d go taller but any additional height along this block is very welcome. The neighborhood can handle a lot more density and there’s a lot of room for opportunity.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 9:12 PM

Quote:

That would be great. Honestly, I don't see how the order to rebuild the historic facades would pencil out as profitable otherwise.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
That would be great. Honestly, I don't see how the order to rebuild the historic facades would pencil out as profitable otherwise.
It wouldn't. They would have to get government subsidies to make it work. I think a highrise here would be ideal at this point.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:42 PM

Schuylkill River Trail Updates

Christian to Crescent

For those of you who don't know. This will connect the Schuylkill River trail where it currently ends at Christian Street, with the already completed Grays Ferry Crescent Trail.

https://www.schuylkillbanks.org/proj...stian-crescent

Schuylkill Crossing Bridge

This is also under construction. This will connected the Grays Ferry Crescent (and now the rest of the Schuylkill River Trail) to the Bartram's Mile Trail. So, soon you'll be able to walk to Bartram's Garden from Center City.... I think that's HUGE and will be good to increase visitors to this underrated gem in the city.

https://www.schuylkillbanks.org/proj...lkill-crossing

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:50 PM

Good Lookin’ Building Will Replace Laundromat in Spring Garden/Fairmount

20th and Green in the past:

20th and Green today:

Rendering of project:

Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-spring-garden

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:52 PM

Yo, Wanna Live in an Apartment Over a Funeral Home?

Current site:

Quote:
Yesterday though, we were perusing the ZBA calendar and realized that 247 N. 12th St. has a plan going to the ZBA in the spring.

The owners of the property want to build an addition atop their building, which would bring it to five stories in height. There will be a dozen apartments on floors 2-5, while the funeral home will continue to do its thing on the first floor and in the basement. Assuming that the project gets its desired variance, we’ll be interested to see how the new section of the building interacts with the existing facade, which we assume will remain more or less in its current state.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...a-funeral-home

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 11:56 PM

17th & Federal Pivoting to a By-Right Mixed-Use Plan

Construction already started at site:

Quote:
The new plans call for a four-story building with ground-floor retail and a total of 30 units on the upper floors. They’ll be doing this by utilizing both the green roof bonus and also the affordable housing bonus, and we imagine that the building will actually include some affordable units, given the height that’s planned.
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...mixed-use-plan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development