HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecho111 View Post
Shouldn't be long before traffic is moved over to the new Winnipeg Street bridge. I think that needs to happen before they can finish a few of the new ramps.
Previous

New

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 8:15 PM

I used that diagram as an overlay to get most of the new geometry added to OpenStreetMap a few days ago. I may just use the lines I added as a guide and move the existing lines over when it opens. It can be easier to work with the existing object rather than having to update the relations for bus routes.

The 2 entrances south of the Coop are currently being consolidated into 1 along with the twinning of that section of 9th N. Access is only from the Winnipeg Street entrance at the moment.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 8:44 PM

Anyone know what is going in the old Home Hardware building on Rochdale beside Leos? Could have swore I saw a for sale and then sold sign on it while HH was still in there but maybe not.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I used that diagram as an overlay to get most of the new geometry added to OpenStreetMap a few days ago. I may just use the lines I added as a guide and move the existing lines over when it opens. It can be easier to work with the existing object rather than having to update the relations for bus routes.

The 2 entrances south of the Coop are currently being consolidated into 1 along with the twinning of that section of 9th N. Access is only from the Winnipeg Street entrance at the moment.
The eastbound to northbound loop is actually a real upgrade.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderfan View Post
Anyone know what is going in the old Home Hardware building on Rochdale beside Leos? Could have swore I saw a for sale and then sold sign on it while HH was still in there but maybe not.
Largest cannabis store in the province. Right across street from Riffel and Knoll highschools. Kidding of course.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 12:08 PM

Well it's the perfect time for a Spirit Halloween. But cannabis store would be more apt for Regina.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Shouldn't be long before traffic is moved over to the new Winnipeg Street bridge.
Not long indeed, demolition starts this weekend. https://twitter.com/CityofRegina/sta...31559791792128

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Well it's the perfect time for a Spirit Halloween. But cannabis store would be more apt for Regina.
I heard that a Doctor bought it...but I'm not sure if he is using it for his practice or for rental income. There have been crews there working on it for a few weeks already.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2022, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Not long indeed, demolition starts this weekend. https://twitter.com/CityofRegina/sta...31559791792128
I just went under there this morning. The old bridge needs to go in order to accommodate the additional lane on the south side for the northbound loop.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 1:40 AM

Word is the RPL board will vote to demolish the main library downtown and build new.

CENTRAL LIBRARY TO BE TORN DOWN: Today at Executive Committee The RPL said it had considered 7 options, that were NOT shared with the public, and decided that building an entirely new building was the best choice.
They will release some documents with their draft RPL Board agenda on Friday Sept 16, then vote on their decision at the RPL Board meeting on Tuesday Sept 27. People can make submissions and ask to make a presentation if they do so by 12 NOON on Tuesday Sept. 20.

Last edited by Stormer; Sep 8, 2022 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 1:51 AM
BANNED

I don't live in regina, but that's a horrible decision, one of my favourite buildings. between that and the bypass and the bad globe reno, what is happening there..

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeyed View Post
I don't live in regina, but that's a horrible decision, one of my favourite buildings. between that and the bypass and the bad globe reno, what is happening there..
Bad Globe Reno? Lol. The renovations will be gorgeous!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:38 AM

I’ve never found the central branch design anything special to be honest. I know residents will have memories to hold on to but I have always been hoping for a rebuild that is brighter, more modern and more accessible. Maybe some of the facade can be saved or the new building stylings could pay tribute in the new design?

Current Central Branch

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:47 AM
Hmm....

If we want to celebrate that design aesthetic, the U Of R's library is a far superior example. I do think it would be nice to preserve some of the stonework though, like the "Regina Public Library" pieces and the Medallion.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
If we want to celebrate that design aesthetic, the U Of R's library is a far superior example. I do think it would be nice to preserve some of the stonework though, like the "Regina Public Library" pieces and the Medallion.
I have a feeling they for sure would preserve those elements. And yes, the U of R library is beautiful.

Completed in 1967 and designed by Minoru Yamasaki.

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Sep 8, 2022 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 1:27 PM
arf

I like both the Central and the University libraries. The original campus buildings for the University of Regina are fantastic. The best place to appreciate them is on the first floor concourse that connects all the buildings.

The Central Library is a great example from the 1960s. It is a wonderfually eclectic building with some pretty nice spaces inside. Sure it's not a swoopy modern huge-ceilinged new one. As a frequent user, it is not a terrible building. I like the spaces inside, the study areas to the sides, the childrens' area, the front courtyard with the ruins. It's interesting. I'm pretty fond of the lattice on the North Side where the elephant hangs out. Functionally, they probably need a new space, but I'll miss the current one.

Elephant by (HomeInMyShoes), on Flickr

1962 by (HomeInMyShoes), on Flickr

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 1:31 PM

WOW that U of R Library. I had no idea that there was a building by Yamasaki in Regina.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
WOW that U of R Library. I had no idea that there was a building by Yamasaki in Regina.
Three of them!

“One of his major works was the planning of the University of Regina and the adjoining Wascana Centre, in Regina, SK, Canada. This is a 2000 acre park containing the provincial legislature, cultural institutions, and a new university. Yamasaki was chosen because of his imaginative concepts and his ability to relate design to the environment.

Yamasaki's 100 year master plan for the development of Wascana Centre and the overall layout of the University of Regina were approved in 1962. He was also awarded contracts to design its first three buildings, which were opened between 1965 and 1967. There are many obvious similarities between Yamasaki's three original buildings and podium at the UofR, and the plaza buildings of the World Trade Center. Unfortunately, in the years since the initial construction of the campus, major elements of Yamasaki's plan have been abandoned. Nonetheless, his contribution remains the UofR's most distinctive and publicly recognizable feature.”

http://lichen.phys.uregina.ca/arch/yamasaki.html

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Sep 8, 2022 at 2:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:40 PM

The main library isn't of any architectural value. I spend hours every week there and love the library as a place and institution. The physical building was built in the dark days of architecture, was too small when it was built, and is 20 years past its expiry date.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Three of them!
Amazing. I will be in town next month and I'll be making a pilgrimage to the U of R campus to check it out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan