HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 4:44 PM

Zipps has really gone downhill in the last 2-3 years. I used to go all the time and loved it. Since then, I've noticed the beer is often bad, or the draft lines are dirty. They seem to always undercook the pizza now as well. It's too bad, I loved that place now we maybe try and give it another chance every 6 months.

Last time I went for an ASU football game on a Saturday and the place was literally empty. Except one drunk old guy falling over at the bar.

Most of this is describing the Arcadia location, but I have found other locations seem to have deteriorated as well.

Having said that, excited to have a sports bar walking distance for me at Park Central. I hope they are better managed than some of the others.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 4:58 PM

The Great Zipp's Debate of 2019.

Guys, it's terrible food and pedestrian beer in a sterile and uninteresting atmosphere. There's no way to argue otherwise. That said if I wanted to watch a Suns game on TV it would be a place I'd consider. There's one near my house but there's a San Tan in the same parking lot that's marginally better.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:18 PM

Don’t mind me...just posting a link about new ASU residence Hall and a General City Hall recap, including some info on Hance Park improvements

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/04/04...wntown-campus/

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/04/04...council-recap/

You may return to your regularly scheduled debate

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:18 PM

Zipps is disgusting and I love dirty dive bars.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Zipps has really gone downhill in the last 2-3 years. I used to go all the time and loved it. Since then, I've noticed the beer is often bad, or the draft lines are dirty. They seem to always undercook the pizza now as well. It's too bad, I loved that place now we maybe try and give it another chance every 6 months.

Last time I went for an ASU football game on a Saturday and the place was literally empty. Except one drunk old guy falling over at the bar.

Most of this is describing the Arcadia location, but I have found other locations seem to have deteriorated as well.

Having said that, excited to have a sports bar walking distance for me at Park Central. I hope they are better managed than some of the others.
The Arcadia location is absolute shit I think their management is terrible or something also they have ugly waitreses.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
The Great Zipp's Debate of 2019.

Guys, it's terrible food and pedestrian beer in a sterile and uninteresting atmosphere. There's no way to argue otherwise. That said if I wanted to watch a Suns game on TV it would be a place I'd consider. There's one near my house but there's a San Tan in the same parking lot that's marginally better.
Man sometimes I just want a giant coors lights and chicken wings.

If you need a sour beer Kings is a block away

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Don’t mind me...just posting a link about new ASU residence Hall and a General City Hall recap, including some info on Hance Park improvements

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/04/04...wntown-campus/

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/04/04...council-recap/

You may return to your regularly scheduled debate
The only issue I have is that I have a feeling ASU will open a low rise dorm that will take way to much space and have no height at all.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
The only issue I have is that I have a feeling ASU will open a low rise dorm that will take way to much space and have no height at all.
From what I remember, the new dorm is supposed to be between 10-14 stories. They are wanting density as well as some height.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
The Arcadia location is absolute shit I think their management is terrible or something also they have ugly waitreses.
Agreed.

Last time I went was in 2015. I went after work (on a weeknight) and was meeting 7 other people. The restaurant was half-empty and I seated myself at a table for 8. The waitress kicked me out of the table and said I couldn't sit there until the rest of my group got there. I pushed back, the manager then came out and affirmed that I couldn't sit at that table until the rest of my group got there, even though the restaurant was 50+ percent empty.

Fuck that place. I left and my group met me across the street at a different bar. I haven't been back since.

Their food is also mediocre at best.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 6:45 PM

That is why guys like my friend Bob Lynn are so successful on a different level. If you go to LGO and raise a fuss about something or ask for something out of the norm, you'll get a "yes" every time unless it's completely unreasonable. Empowered employees can really make an experience. Employees who are taught to adhere to some rule without any room to use common sense can break an experience.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Reporting that The Battery is currently under construction (Ballpark Lofts). I know some posters were asking about this project....
Went by today, no equipment or manpower on sight. Talked to a lady who works at Job Corp that is just across 3rd Street from the site. She said they moved some dirt around a while back, but since then nothing.

Can confirm they are digging trenches at Crescent Midtown (3rd St/Earll).

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 9:02 PM

I don’t care what anybody says...Zipp’s Golden Wings are pretty amazing

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I don’t care what anybody says...Zipp’s Golden Wings are pretty amazing
I had no idea it was so polarizing

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Not sure why anyone doubts ASU's development resources. It wouldn't reflect well on an institution to screw up a discipline (urban development) that they teach. Like Phxguy said, I remember hearing 10-14 stories, which would add some really nice density to the area.

Lastly, golden wings are delicious and Zipps will be a great addition to Midtown

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 10:24 PM

Although I think was already touched on, here’s an official confirmation of what’s coming to Garfield!

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...om/3281280002/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Some Restaurant newcomers seems like some good spots: https://downtowndevil.com/2019/04/02...ram-ice-cream/

Tropical Drink stand, Ice Cream Parlor among others
Not exactly high-rise development related, but since this article was posted in this thread, I will say that I went to Monroe's Chicken for the first time, and damn that is a fine sandwich. The $12 price tag probably will keep me from going there too often, but when I'm feeling flush that's a tasty treat.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 6:49 PM

It looks like an adaptive reuse project was filed for 719 E. Roosevelt for Chez Gregory. SCSR 1902300 is you're interested.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
It looks like an adaptive reuse project was filed for 719 E. Roosevelt for Chez Gregory. SCSR 1902300 is you're interested.
You need to help us dumb people. SCSR 1902300 what is this...what am I supposed to do with this

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:49 PM

Quote:
You need to help us dumb people. SCSR 1902300 what is this...what am I supposed to do with this
It's a plan review number. If you go to the plan review search page (https://apps-secure.phoenix.gov/PDD/Search/PlanReviews) and plug in SCSR as the 'type' and 1902300 as the 'number,' you too can have the unique pleasure of looking at the plan review document. Says the subject house will be used as a restaurant.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:51 PM

One of the buildings where asu new dorms will be built came down this morning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest