HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 1:57 AM

Always look forward to your photo updates. Looking like a beast!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 2:17 AM

I'll be interested to check the Condo-Henge effect from various locations in the city. (term coined, as far as I know, by A. Botman at the Museum of Nature)(not me). Hokiefans, you'll have to do your 360 from further away!

off topic ottawa condo henge 4784
by Chuck Clark, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefans View Post
Hi everyone,
I have been lurking for some time but decided to finally post a couple of my pictures. We purchased a unit in the Icon and are watching her construction closely, taking photos on a weekly basis.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JBseZeenpPHcZxrg9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aYA4B9rhagfYu1um9

I am having trouble showing the pictures here so I hope the links work!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 3:00 PM

Forgot I took these photos late Sept or early Oct. Approximately the 22nd or 23rd floors.

20180928_080556 by be 3169

20180928_080605 by be 3169

20180928_080634 by be 3169

20180928_080706 by be 3169

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 3:37 PM
inner city

Great shots... thanks for the post, ServiceGuy!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:40 PM

To do it right I would need to be there most of the day to get the sun behind me for each shot. Disappointed the Dows Lake shot is a little washed out from morning sun but you get the idea. If I get the chance to go back during the winter will try to get a winter version showing the skateway.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 7:29 PM

From my vantage point at nearby Dows Lake Court, there is indeed a lot going on as far as the façade goes. But, curves and asymmetrical corners are certainly preferable to the glass boxes with which Ottawa is all too familiar. And the building is slender from some angles -- also a good thing. I'm somewhat less worried now about the likely outcome. (Though I'm not sure about the bizarre cut-out of the cladding on floors 8 to 10. Unnecessary.)

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
To do it right I would need to be there most of the day to get the sun behind me for each shot. Disappointed the Dows Lake shot is a little washed out from morning sun but you get the idea. If I get the chance to go back during the winter will try to get a winter version showing the skateway.
Thanks very much, ServiceGuy! I thought your pictures were great....loved the reflection of the cloudy sky in the lake. I would love to get up there and take some of these myself to see my view but this is tiding me over....for a bit.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 12:17 PM

That is an awesome assortment of pics, so thanks ServiceGuy! There is a high likely hood that many people on here have never seen the city from that vantage point, and I can only imagine what it will be like from above the 40th floor and/or the roof. It's also cool to picture what else will be visible from Icon, as Trinity, and other projects go up. One can also assume that the surface parking lots in the vicinity of Dow's lake and Little Italy are not long for this world as well.

With any luck, someone here will be able to share more pics from higher in Icon as it goes up...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 4:45 PM

Quote:
I would love to get up there and take some of these myself to see my view but this is tiding me over....for a bit.
Which floor will you be on hokiefans? Will try to keep it in mind for ya.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:22 AM

Getting pretty close to beating PdV C.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Which floor will you be on hokiefans? Will try to keep it in mind for ya.
You are awesome! 25th! Our unit is the Safdie so we are on the Southeast corner with views of Dow's Lake from our dining and bed rooms, and looking East to the Glebe from the living room and second bed room! That was why we loved your pictures so much.

thanks again.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Getting pretty close to beating PdV C.
Place de Ville Tower C is 29 floors (I worked there for 10 years on the 21st) but I am not sure how the actual heights compare.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Place de Ville Tower C is 29 floors (I worked there for 10 years on the 21st) but I am not sure how the actual heights compare.
As an office building, tower C's floor plates are taller. Icon will need to be around 32 to 36 floors to beat tower C.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 5:26 PM

Came across this cool pic with Icon rising in the background. Can't wait to see this view once it tops out.

https://twitter.com/mrjasonli/status...19280752631809

Last edited by Hybrid247; Dec 14, 2018 at 5:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link of image source

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
As an office building, tower C's floor plates are taller. Icon will need to be around 32 to 36 floors to beat tower C.
This is a good point but we need to come up with the actual height numbers to compare. Icon just poured the 35th floor but is that now higher than Place de Ville 3? What about the old Indian Affairs building in Gatineau? What is the bench mark to be Ottawa's (area) newest tallest?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
This is a good point but we need to come up with the actual height numbers to compare. Icon just poured the 35th floor but is that now higher than Place de Ville 3? What about the old Indian Affairs building in Gatineau? What is the bench mark to be Ottawa's (area) newest tallest?
Icon is slated to be 143 m
Place de Ville is 112m
Terrasses is 124m

143m divided by 45 stories (not exact because the first 5 floors are larger floors)=3.177m per floor

Lets call each remaining floor 3.1m. Thus 143-31m=112.

It would now be the same height as Place de Ville and another 4 floors to beat terrasses de la Chaudiere.

Technically the tallest on the Ontario side now.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 3:33 PM

148 meters to the parapet

From the outside, and that is the only view that counts for height in real terms, the parapet is about 148m. The garbage chute cap will be the highest point of the building and it will be interesting to find out who can see that and from where. Unless the vision screen is the highest point :-)

D827569 icon
by Chuck Clark, on Flickr

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 6:41 PM

daud... great math and figuring. Really puts things in perspective that we are getting close to a new highest.

TMA-1... I don't recall garbage shuts ever extending higher than the elevator high roof but will look again when I get the chance. Great shot non the less!

Just hoping I get back there at some point over the winter. TBD.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 8:28 PM

This whole corner needs to get developed ASAP! Two more tall boys and we are looking at a bonafide cluster!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2018, 9:25 PM

Chute has to terminate 1000mm above whatever roof it ends up penetrating. I'm not sure which roof that is for Icon.

Quote:
daud... great math and figuring. Really puts things in perspective that we are getting close to a new highest.

TMA-1... I don't recall garbage shuts ever extending higher than the elevator high roof but will look again when I get the chance. Great shot non the less!

Just hoping I get back there at some point over the winter. TBD.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa