HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Oct 20, 2022, 2:58 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Let's hope so. That last render has the better podium & tower/fin design. And if that's the case, there really isn't much "brick" or red material, so it shouldn't affect the overall look too much. Does anyone have more recent progress pictures?

Those seem to line up with the renders posted on the Reliance website (the construction company)
The only cladding up is the weird terra cotta looking deckboards stuff. Otherwise is just concrete structure up to the 7/8th floor or so.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 12:23 AM

I traipsed through the set of The Walking Dead to give you this image. This area is extraordinarily rough lately. It's becoming more and more like East Hastings by the day.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 3:45 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I traipsed through the set of The Walking Dead to give you this image. This area is extraordinarily rough lately. It's becoming more and more like East Hastings by the day.
I spend a lot of time wandering the city... and yeah this area has indeed gotten a lot rougher since the start of Covid. I think a lot of peoples support groups like NA and AA disappearing or switching to zoom had a big impact. I don't find it to be unsafe or intimidating personally. There are a few people that are throwing a fit and yelling and cursing etc but if you mind your own business you aren't generally going to have a problem.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2022, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
I spend a lot of time wandering the city... and yeah this area has indeed gotten a lot rougher since the start of Covid. I think a lot of peoples support groups like NA and AA disappearing or switching to zoom had a big impact. I don't find it to be unsafe or intimidating personally. There are a few people that are throwing a fit and yelling and cursing etc but if you mind your own business you aren't generally going to have a problem.
The police have left. This is the difference on George St at least. I lived on George 10 years ago and used to joke it was safest part of the city as police parked there. Now it is a complete open air drug market. I'm not saying police should arrest homeless people for drug possession but they won't go to the bathroom etc right in front of a cop. Drug dealers certainly won't sell in front of them. Sutcliffe was right on about this.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
The police have left. This is the difference on George St at least. I lived on George 10 years ago and used to joke it was safest part of the city as police parked there. Now it is a complete open air drug market. I'm not saying police should arrest homeless people for drug possession but they won't go to the bathroom etc right in front of a cop. Drug dealers certainly won't sell in front of them. Sutcliffe was right on about this.
If it's not in the Market (or George Street), those activities will move elsewhere. Cops sitting in their car or in a storefront won't help with the underlining issues.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
If it's not in the Market (or George Street), those activities will move elsewhere. Cops sitting in their car or in a storefront won't help with the underlining issues.
Yes and no. It of course won't solve homelessness and yes people will still get and use drugs but it's not the case they will do it in a concentrated public fashion. For example if there is a cop there they will go inside the shelter to use the bathroom for example. Put another way don't the homeless population also deserve as safe street?

Also you can bet when the hotel opens they will make an effort wheras the resident of 160 George don't matter a business will get their calls returned.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 3:00 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Yes and no. It of course won't solve homelessness and yes people will still get and use drugs but it's not the case they will do it in a concentrated public fashion. For example if there is a cop there they will go inside the shelter to use the bathroom for example. Put another way don't the homeless population also deserve as safe street?

Also you can bet when the hotel opens they will make an effort wheras the resident of 160 George don't matter a business will get their calls returned.
I don't understand why there isn't a community police center in that area. I think the area could benefit from having a set of beat officers who work that neighborhood steady. A steady pairing with some type of counselors or outreach workers would also be extremely helpful. How exactly this would be set up and paid for I couldn't say. I've seen a few bicycle police officers over the years but I don't know if I have ever seen beat cops that weren't working a special event.

A lot of the people in that area couldn't really be referred to as transients in the traditional sense. I see a lot of the same faces on a regular basis.

Effective policing and community work would be getting familiar with these people and their DOC if any. Who has a history of what etc. Mental illness or a propensity for property crime or violence. If someone is having a fit or a hard time, a familiar face to try and defuse the situation could go a long way. Knowing somebodies first name when you are looking after a couple hundred people wouldn't be that much different than principal of a school.

Running some boots on the ground from April-October could go a long way.

New concrete curbs were getting poured the other day. McCarthy road.. hardly busy. 2 police cars sitting there with the lads on their phone. They weren't even directing traffic. We just needed some blue and red blinkies so all the car-brains could remember to slow down and pay attention to the road signal people? I don't see how that is effective use of resources.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 3:19 AM

Agreed. I don't think we necessarily need a store front police station in the Market, but a half a dozen of so boots on the ground. Some compassionate people with mental health training, not assholes who love beating people to a pulp.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:53 PM

There used to a community police centre on Rideau east of King Edward. I wonder what happened to that.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
There used to a community police centre on Rideau east of King Edward. I wonder what happened to that.
It didn't work.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:02 PM

not a word of a lie and not embellishment in any way-I was walking Dalhousie at George about 2 months ago northbound and on the north east corner of the intersection was a fully nude woman with a crack pipe asking people for a lighter. She was on cloud nine; oblivious to the stares. This was around 1PM on a Sunny Sunday afternoon.

The area is super rough in spots and intermixed with some of the busiest and most touristy areas in the city. With all the new development, one hopes to at least see the neighbourhood improve though I would have to say the past 5 years it seems to have gotten worse.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
It didn't work.

Didn't work for who?

East of King Edward is more about public housing and community outreach. Actually that area is now much much cleaner and safer than the blocks west of King Edward.

I'd like to see them rent the retail space at East Market or the old Home Hardware. Right in the heart of it would force a rethink.

I spoke to both Shantz and Plante who came to my door and Plante mentioned she had been the only one to canvas the businesses of Byward market. Both mentioned spreading out the services but that's what you have to say if you're running in Rideau Vanier.

I was surprised to see the Horizon endorsed Shantz lose. Not sure if that is also openness to new approaches or Francophone politics still staying loyal in East Ottawa.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daud View Post
not a word of a lie and not embellishment in any way-I was walking Dalhousie at George about 2 months ago northbound and on the north east corner of the intersection was a fully nude woman with a crack pipe asking people for a lighter. She was on cloud nine; oblivious to the stares. This was around 1PM on a Sunny Sunday afternoon.

The area is super rough in spots and intermixed with some of the busiest and most touristy areas in the city. With all the new development, one hopes to at least see the neighbourhood improve though I would have to say the past 5 years it seems to have gotten worse.
Yesterday morning, biking by the Gloucester Centre, there was a guy rummaging through the trash with his ass hanging out.

Quote:
Didn't work for who?

East of King Edward is more about public housing and community outreach. Actually that area is now much much cleaner and safer than the blocks west of King Edward.

I'd like to see them rent the retail space at East Market or the old Home Hardware. Right in the heart of it would force a rethink.

I spoke to both Shantz and Plante who came to my door and Plante mentioned she had been the only one to canvas the businesses of Byward market. Both mentioned spreading out the services but that's what you have to say if you're running in Rideau Vanier.

I was surprised to see the Horizon endorsed Shantz lose. Not sure if that is also openness to new approaches or Francophone politics still staying loyal in East Ottawa.
Didn't have the desired results. It didn't make the Market safer. Doesn't matter if there's a storefront, what we need is boots o the ground. And we need cops who actually care about the well-being of people, no matter their situation, not a bunch of jack-asses who think they are above the law.

As for Shantz v. Plante, I'm not super familiar with their platforms, but I'm glad, as a francophone, that Plante won. I'm sure Shantz would have been good as well, but the City of Ottawa lacks francophone representation.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 8:47 PM

Update from today.
Starting to see all the different material being use

Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 9:28 PM

Thanks for the update. Looks like good quality glass, but the spandrels are quite wide (non-existent in the rendering). Fake brick doesn't look great even from that perspective, but it's not too prominent. I like the slimmer tower atop the larger podium, and the form/massing of the tower itself.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 6:19 PM

From Rimap's website. Here's the rendering they are using:

Quote:
AC MARRIOTT OTTAWA

This 208-room hotel will sit ideally between Byward Market and the Rideau Centre, close to Parliament hill and the University of Ottawa, an area that is home to a growing number of offices, residences, theaters and restaurants. Expected to open in the summer of 2023, the AC Marriott Ottawa will offer business and leisure travelers alike a thoughtful approach to a contemporary design.
https://www.rimaphospitality.com/pro...arriott-ottawa

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 10:27 PM

Taken today.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 2:39 PM

What's with the teal panels? Are they purposely trying to tease us or are they trying to "blend in" with the neighbourhood character with Claridge Plaza across the street?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2023, 6:47 PM
ハルウララ

Feb 4, 2023

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:48 PM

Those fake brick panels still look pretty bad, but overall, this may still be a level up from most other towers in the area design wise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa