HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 5:00 PM

Speaking of Cornish Pasty, have any plans been announced for the space they purchased/occupied next door (the old Subway location) on Central/Monroe. Given their history, the buildout is probably years out

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 5:46 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Speaking of Cornish Pasty, have any plans been announced for the space they purchased/occupied next door (the old Subway location) on Central/Monroe. Given their history, the buildout is probably years out
They've announced vague plans to expand the restaurant into that space, which would make the downtown CPC huge. You're right, though, it will probably take years to happen and it's going look ugly until it does. As much as I love the food and drink at CPC, they haven't been the best neighbor on Monroe.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2023, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Phoenix Business Journal reports that Little Miss BBQ has canceled plans to open on Central in midtown due to rising interest rates and increased construction costs.
I wonder if they’d look into Trapp Haus. It looks like they may be closed. Haven’t seen it open in ~2 months and I walk past it weekly.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiandave View Post
I wonder if they’d look into Trapp Haus. It looks like they may be closed. Haven’t seen it open in ~2 months and I walk past it weekly.
Never ate their but somebody I trust in their food taste said it wasn't good.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 5:42 PM

Sin Muerte closing

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
The absence of any visible progress over the course of a year made me think this wasn't going to happen.

On the other hand, Cornish Pasty Company on Monroe took five years but did eventually happen.
I happen to know the owners. All their public comments are accurate about the costs but the part they are holding back is the CoP was TERRIBLE to deal with at this location. Roadblock after roadblock. Terrible service at plans and permitting. They're pretty sore about doing any further business in the CoP.

Another happy customer.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
I happen to know the owners. All their public comments are accurate about the costs but the part they are holding back is the CoP was TERRIBLE to deal with at this location. Roadblock after roadblock. Terrible service at plans and permitting. They're pretty sore about doing any further business in the CoP.

Another happy customer.
They have a location in Sunnyslope too so what was the diff in experience w/ the COP between building there and the midtown location?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_PHX View Post
Thats a shame but I never personally got a chance to check it out.

never looked like anyone went in there.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 7:32 PM

Quote:
They have a location in Sunnyslope too so what was the diff in experience w/ the COP between building there and the midtown location?
They said Sunnyslope was also nightmarishly difficult related to getting the remodel plans approved in particular. Since they only do owner operated buildings, they do all the work themselves.

They plan to expand again and have a lot of irons in the fire, but not likely in Phoenix.

I've now heard from several small biz types that if you're not a big time outfit, your ability to get decent service at P&Z / P&D is surprisingly bad.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 8:24 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post

Another happy customer.
Owners of Little Miss or Cornish Pasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Thats a shame but I never personally got a chance to check it out.

never looked like anyone went in there.
I ate at Sin Muerte a few times. I really liked it, but as noted in article, the menu really leaned on mushrooms a lot. As a mushroom fan, I was fine with the menu, but it would probablly would have helped them to have a little more variety in terms of plant-based entrees. I was once eating lunch at the bar there and witnessed a large group sit down at a table and then leave a few minutes after perusing the menu. I overhead one of them say to the server that they didn't like mushrooms, so the restaurant wouldn't work for them.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 8:30 PM
self-important urbanista

For the first time in two months, I biked to work instead of taking the train or driving. That gave me an opportunity to see some details I'd missed over the last few months:

1) There's a new sushi place called Asagoa on Thomas across from St. Joe's. It's in the space that previously housed Kaisen, a different restaurant that focused more on ramen and rice bowls.

2) I saw a contractor doing work on the old Breadfruit space on Pierce Steet. The new tenant is called "Bad Jimmy's." It appears to have operated for a while as a food truck and pop-up and is now moving into a bricks-and-mortar location.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:

2) I saw a contractor doing work on the old Breadfruit space on Pierce Steet. The new tenant is called "Bad Jimmy's." It appears to have operated for a while as a food truck and pop-up and is now moving into a bricks-and-mortar location.
This is a popular hamburger/smash-type burger food truck business. I have never had it, but it appears to be really popular. I think they are at Cobra on the weekends regularly. Very interesting to hear they will have this brick & mortar place. They will likely do great business.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2023, 8:48 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
This is a popular hamburger/smash-type burger food truck business. I have never had it, but it appears to be really popular. I think they are at Cobra on the weekends regularly. Very interesting to hear they will have this brick & mortar place. They will likely do great business.
Thanks. It sounds good, although it seems like we're getting more burger places and less variety Downtown. Breadfruit was unique. Now I have to go much farther for Carribean food.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 12:10 AM

Quote:
owners of little miss or cornish pasty?

lmb

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 3:12 AM
Skyriser

I read that Breadfruit took over the kitchen at Bitter and Twisted, is that still a thing?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 3:40 AM

New restaurant concept, 'MOTIF' coming to Roosevelt Row by Tru Color concepts. Looks very similar to the mock up for Federales that was proposed to go in lot across from Wilderness.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 3:53 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I read that Breadfruit took over the kitchen at Bitter and Twisted, is that still a thing?
It just ended.

Edit: The end is near. The pop-up finishes on September 1.

Last edited by exit2lef; Aug 22, 2023 at 11:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Yeah still there.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 11:21 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Yeah still there.
Ending September 1:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwDXddMoDdb/

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 10:49 PM
Skyriser

I can't help but wonder if a place that was thriving can't find a niche in a neighborhood that is no longer a destination but is slowly succumbing to the mass market. Breadfruit was an immigrant success story and losing that feels like an end of something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest