HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
Your link is private
This has to be the worst kept secret in Saint John!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:20 PM

Why is the mayor freaking out about this? I'm BARELY an 'insider' (AKA my Chinese telephone is relatively short) and I knew this in July.

I am surprised they didn't buy Victor Train's block instead. Fronting onto a park is important but given the 'sprawling prison/warehouse' design trend in school design, they'll need to flatten half of the park lol. I hope they build up and don't have a col de sac for busses.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Your link is private
Sorry about that.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Why is the mayor freaking out about this? I'm BARELY an 'insider' (AKA my Chinese telephone is relatively short) and I knew this in July.

I am surprised they didn't buy Victor Train's block instead. Fronting onto a park is important but given the 'sprawling prison/warehouse' design trend in school design, they'll need to flatten half of the park lol. I hope they build up and don't have a col de sac for busses.
What I had heard was the busses were going to use the space where the burned out building is - west side of Sydney. Have no idea how accurate that is.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 7:15 PM

Does anyone else think that its odd that the City would be shouldering part of the cost of the land for a provincially owned school? Has any other municipality in the Province been asked to contribute financially to land costs for schools constructed in their jurisdiction?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeNB View Post
Does anyone else think that its odd that the City would be shouldering part of the cost of the land for a provincially owned school? Has any other municipality in the Province been asked to contribute financially to land costs for schools constructed in their jurisdiction?
Has any other municipality had the kind of raw deal from the provincial department of education? Prior to Seaside Elementary there wasn't a new school built in Saint John for nearly half a century, and we're still fighting the government on investing in the highest density neighbourhood in the province. Not saying the city should foot any part of this bill, but I feel like we're trying to lead the horse to water here.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 10:37 PM

Telegraph Journal is now reporting that the document leak may threaten the land deal for the school.

https://tj.news/greater-saint-john/102025770

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
Has any other municipality had the kind of raw deal from the provincial department of education? Prior to Seaside Elementary there wasn't a new school built in Saint John for nearly half a century, and we're still fighting the government on investing in the highest density neighbourhood in the province. Not saying the city should foot any part of this bill, but I feel like we're trying to lead the horse to water here.
Moncton had their high school relocated 9 k.m. away to a place that probably not a single kid could walk to. Don't know how they can top that level of incompetence.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishingnut View Post
Moncton had their high school relocated 9 k.m. away to a place that probably not a single kid could walk to. Don't know how they can top that level of incompetence.
That's why the city has been working so hard to fight for the peninsula school, because left to their own devices the province would just open another one in KV or something and then pat themselves on the back.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 1:05 AM

So a spokesperson with the department confirmed to Global News that the central peninsula school is projected to open in the fall of 2026 but is subject to change as they progress.

Quote:
"According to a spokesperson for the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development, $1.5 million is set aside for “the continued planning and design of the new kindergarten to Grade 8 school for Saint John Central Peninsula.”

“The school is projected to open in the fall of 2026 but this could be subject to change as we move through the site selection, land acquisition and design processes,” said Morgan Bell".
https://globalnews.ca/news/9333088/p...a-pushed-2026/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 2:13 PM

MP Wayne Long said in a online post this morning that "so many BIG announcements coming for the riding". Looking forward to hearing what they are.

https://www.facebook.com/WayneLongMP...W3XC6JochYqTvl

Last edited by DyAm00394; Dec 8, 2022 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:12 PM

I heard last night the Port is about 70% over capacity. They really need the slip infill completed ASAP.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:53 PM

Quote:
I heard last night the Port is about 70% over capacity. They really need the slip infill completed ASAP.
Something I've noticed with a decent amount of construction work in the city is speed is not of the essence. I will say it does look like the port is always active around the construction.

Why did they just start working weekends / nights for the Harbour Bridge? Couldn't have done that from the start?

Main Street (North End) project still doesn't have all the siding on the building more than a year since it was framed.

Fundy Quay - I'm thrilled it's started but man watching the live stream of 1 or 2 dump trucks dropping fill is crazy. Couldn't get a fleet of 5-10 to move it a long a little quicker? lol

I also have no idea about building / construction, just an impatient observer LOL.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:59 PM

Quote:
I wonder if demolishing the massive warehouses occupying huge swaths of terminal land is a feasible idea. The pier closest to the harbor bridge is almost entirely occupied by these warehouses. And then there are two others in the rear near the new intermodel train yard.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 8:18 PM

This is more recent news from 2021..

Changes Proposed For East Point Residential Development
https://www.country94.ca/2021/10/19/...l-development/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Pre-pandemic there was the plan for 200 units in the empty lots near PetSmart / Taste of Egypt

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ffic-1.5165283

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Something I've noticed with a decent amount of construction work in the city is speed is not of the essence. I will say it does look like the port is always active around the construction.

Why did they just start working weekends / nights for the Harbour Bridge? Couldn't have done that from the start?

Main Street (North End) project still doesn't have all the siding on the building more than a year since it was framed.

Fundy Quay - I'm thrilled it's started but man watching the live stream of 1 or 2 dump trucks dropping fill is crazy. Couldn't get a fleet of 5-10 to move it a long a little quicker? lol

I also have no idea about building / construction, just an impatient observer LOL.
Supply chain issues of construction material and hard to get tradespeople. If you can only source 3 or 4 crack fillers, image how long it takes to do a 35 + unit building ! The Seabird Suites on Daniel in Millidgeville must be the slowest build ever!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amittammu View Post
This is more recent news from 2021..

Changes Proposed For East Point Residential Development
https://www.country94.ca/2021/10/19/...l-development/
Now that shows confidence in the Saint John marketplace - increasing the height on buildings !

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I wonder if demolishing the massive warehouses occupying huge swaths of terminal land is a feasible idea. The pier closest to the harbor bridge is almost entirely occupied by these warehouses. And then there are two others in the rear near the new intermodel train yard.
Apparently there is a video (I can’t find it) of the cranes enroute to Saint John now.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Apparently there is a video (I can’t find it) of the cranes enroute to Saint John now.
Did someone tell you there was a video? I feel like the port would announce it a little in advance.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Did someone tell you there was a video? I feel like the port would announce it a little in advance.
Yes someone I know said they saw video.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces