HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I wonder how the birdge construction site is doing at 59N over floodway. I assume they had pre defined timelines for construction during spring. Ie: No major works during flood season.
If you have Snapchat go on the snap map. A guy on there posts daily construction update videos. Coming along nicely.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 4:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
If you have Snapchat go on the snap map. A guy on there posts daily construction update videos. Coming along nicely.
never used it kinda hard with out a cell phone in the bush

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 11:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I wonder how the birdge construction site is doing at 59N over floodway. I assume they had pre defined timelines for construction during spring. Ie: No major works during flood season.
Spans all in place, crane was removed a few weeks back, project looks like it’s on time or slightly ahead.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 1:09 PM
What could go wrong?

Yes, they are continuing to work above the floodway waters. They made great time to complete the pier and girder work before the floodway was put in use.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 1:20 PM

This is on the north span now?

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 1:30 PM
What could go wrong?

Yes
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 2:08 PM

Didn't realize they were that far along. Nice.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Didn't realize they were that far along. Nice.
Last spring was an early melt with little snow and the floodway wasn't used, I think someone on here mentioned they got a lot done in that time and are ahead as a result.

Old Posted May 5, 2022, 3:47 PM

Lat time I went by they still had the old bridge in place and were working on the deck of the south bridge. Must've been ages ago if they got the old birdge down and the north bridge girders in place haha

Streetview shows that time was June of last year. So they did a lot of work since then.

Old Posted May 9, 2022, 11:18 AM

Signs are up on 23 highway and survey stakes have been placed. Are they doing the entire stretch from junction of PTH 10 to PTH 18?

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 11:12 PM

Consider if the USA ever expands their Interstate system with a route from Salina, KS (I-70 & I-135) to Grand Island NE (pop. 50,000) to Pierre SD (pop. 15,000) to Bismarck ND (pop. 75,000) to Minot ND (pop. 50,000) to Canadian Border. That route of the US is not served directly by the interstate system. (No idea if this will ever happen)

But where would the route go from Minot to the border? I think to south of Brandon at Hwy 10. Brandon MB (60,000) 200KM from Minot should connect to any new interstate. The competition for route would be Regina which is 400KM away. Hwy 10 would then improve to a divided 4 lane highway system in MB.

MB would have two control cities (Winnipeg and Brandon) at the end of high speed routes (I-29) and the (I-new#). Cool

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 1:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Consider if the USA ever expands their Interstate system with a route from Salina, KS (I-70 & I-135) to Grand Island NE (pop. 50,000) to Pierre SD (pop. 15,000) to Bismarck ND (pop. 75,000) to Minot ND (pop. 50,000) to Canadian Border. That route of the US is not served directly by the interstate system. (No idea if this will ever happen)

But where would the route go from Minot to the border? I think to south of Brandon at Hwy 10. Brandon MB (60,000) 200KM from Minot should connect to any new interstate. The competition for route would be Regina which is 400KM away. Hwy 10 would then improve to a divided 4 lane highway system in MB.

MB would have two control cities (Winnipeg and Brandon) at the end of high speed routes (I-29) and the (I-new#). Cool
Manitoba hasn’t even come up with a plan to keep its main trade corridor route open 12 months of the year, good luck with something new!

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 1:17 PM
BANNED

Drove highway 44 east from 59 to #11 a few days back, complete highway deterioration from 59 to Tyndall where the top layer of asphalt has all lifted off, what a messa,

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 2:41 PM

Manitoba decided to go to the same level of service for PTH as I-29, which also closes due to flooding. So I guess we do have Interstate quality highways after all!

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 6:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Issue we have with peeling is contractors working in the rain and not waiting for stuff to dry.. highway 6 has had huge problems with it falling apart within a month of work being done. 391 as well.

Stretch of the 391 from swany to lynn has huge pot hole problems that get patched on a schedule that doesn't care if it's pouring rain and thus patches fall apart in days it's nuts how bad it gets and still the same inferior patching over and over

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 6:55 PM

If it's hot mix asphalt, a light rain doesn't matter much since the heat evaporates the water. If it's heavy rain or cold mix, not the greatest idea for sure..

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post

At ~5 million USD per mile of 4 lane road, interchanges excluded, for a total of 847 miles (Brandon to Salina), that'll be 4.235 billion dollars.

None of the cities you listed are over 100k people, and I-29 isn't that far off if you don't want to use existing rural highways. Google maps gave me 14h10m direct via rural roads, and when I dragged the route to I-29 between Omaha and Grand Forks it went up to 14h 56m. A lot of money to save 45 mins for the odd traveler coming from Oklahoma City direct to Brandon.

Cost source
https://blog.midwestind.com/cost-of-...0to%20Maintain

Old Posted May 18, 2022, 9:22 PM

Just drove # 1 back and forth Regina to Winnipeg. While there are some very good patches and some rougher patches, the worst have to be passing through Brandon, the roads/ramps west of Portage and in Headingly. I saw work was being done at Portage, but why do the "urban" strips of the trans-Canada end up in such disrepair? Is it a jurisdictional thing, where towns/cities say it's up to the province, and the province says it's up to the towns/cities?

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 23, 2022, 8:23 PM

It's not unusual to see traffic lights on highways, but I just discovered a four way stop at the junctions of PTH 12 and PR 317. How weird!! Are there other highway intersections that so this? Excluding in towns, of course.

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Just drove # 1 back and forth Regina to Winnipeg. While there are some very good patches and some rougher patches, the worst have to be passing through Brandon, the roads/ramps west of Portage and in Headingly. I saw work was being done at Portage, but why do the "urban" strips of the trans-Canada end up in such disrepair? Is it a jurisdictional thing, where towns/cities say it's up to the province, and the province says it's up to the towns/cities?
I was thinking of your post when I drove to and from Saskatoon on the weekend. The TCH through the urban areas is utterly wretched. I don't get it. The Brandon segment in particular is just an absolute horror. How did it get so bad? You go a few kms to the east or west and it's fine, but the section of highway through Brandon is a disaster.

Portage is also a shitshow, the segments around the east/west interchanges are just brutal with comically narrow lanes, rough pavement and just bad overall geometry. It's still 1960s standards all around over there.

The TCH through Headingley is awful and I don't understand how this was ever allowed in the first place. The highway entrances into Regina and Saskatoon look like you're entering Toronto by comparison, while the TCH into Winnipeg makes it look like you're entering a rural town like Altona. Even apart from the transportation considerations, the image it presents is horrendous.

The rest of the TCH is fine apart from the lack of grade separations.

I am not a regular long haul driver but I did notice an incredible amount of semi-trailer traffic. I got to Winnipeg around 11 pm and pretty well that entire stretch from Portage to Winnipeg I noticed an endless stream of semis heading west. By contrast, I didn't notice a single train from Regina to Winnipeg (did they take the day off for the long weekend, or what?!). Is there just a general tendency among transportation companies to have drivers leave Winnipeg around 10 pm for an overnight drive to Calgary?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan