HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The world has gone mad!!! MAD!!!!!
Isn’t this just a result of an arctic outbreak allowing cold weather to escape south and letting warm air into the polar regions?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:17 AM
Mooderator

Shit will go back to normal in a few days. Vancouver will go back to being dreary and overcast in no time.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:39 AM
be nice to the crackheads

High on 1c today. Felt warm in comparison to last week.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 4:05 AM

love the last pic!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 5:24 AM
Go Chiefs!

-5C with a wind chill of -13 and overcast. Pretty boring winter day.

Low of -7C with a wind chill of -16 this morning. EC missing hourly data again at 5AM so the day will not exist in those amateurs data.
Same with Keg River who recorded the first -50C in Alberta since 2004 but the data won't be there because of missing hourly observations. Completely unacceptable.

The warmspot was Pangnirtung, NU at 7.2C. YES that is CORRECT. Warmest place in the country is in Nunavut. Out of all things I've seen weather related, this might be the most shocking. It is extremely rare for Nunavut to be warmest territory any month but much more so in the middle of January. Normal high of -23C, normal low of -31C.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 6:40 AM

Bright, dry and still a bit chilly.

Monday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 1 C, the low was -4 C.

West End, Vancouver, Jan.15 '24, my pics

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 7:21 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Nice crisp winter day with a beautiful sunset at the end.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 9:31 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

There's supposed to be some snow and blowing snow overnight, but then a high of 7C tomorrow.

I saw a caterpillar yesterday, btw, still alive and moving. Not for long, surely.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 12:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

-5C and mostly cloudy in Moncton at 8 AM.

Flurries most of the day, with steady snow beginning around 6 PM, transitioning to rain about 10-11 PM. Temperatures rising to about +6C by 5 AM

Storm #4 appears to be a repeat of the previous three storms. Lots of slop and ultimately, with the rising temperatures, little accumulation.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 1:49 PM

Sun and -3 at just before 10:30am. Pretty nice morning out there, the calm before the "storm". Like SHH mentioned, about 5 cm of snow overnight tonight expected before a transition to rain and temperatures pushing double digits.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Iqaluit and Nuuk Greenland were both above 0 and raining. all me years up there I never saw those temps in the winter.

-33 in Yeg today. Been in the phone off and on all weekend with sites that were having freezing issues and friends that had frozen pipes or their furnaces were failing. Furnaces were usually a quick fix. Go knock the condensation off the combustion air and exhaust lines. The frozen pipes were having to wait for a Plumber (72 hours for some).

And the cold weather allowed me to finally get my kitchen renos done. High of -20 today and then a slow warm up all week. sunday is supposed to be -8.
Iqaluit breaking the 0c mark in January isnt something new, and actually wouldnt even crack the top 20 list:

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/...t-temperatures

Edit: just checked yesterdays weather in Iqaluit, and looks like it hit 3.3c which would put it right near the top, I take it back

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 3:45 PM

We got a little dusting of snow, nearly 1 cm. Temperature hovered between -11 and the low of -12.7 overnight. Probably not necessary, but I think I'll go out and shovel, just for old times' sake.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
-5C with a wind chill of -13 and overcast. Pretty boring winter day.

Low of -7C with a wind chill of -16 this morning. EC missing hourly data again at 5AM so the day will not exist in those amateurs data.
Same with Keg River who recorded the first -50C in Alberta since 2004 but the data won't be there because of missing hourly observations. Completely unacceptable.

The warmspot was Pangnirtung, NU at 7.2C. YES that is CORRECT. Warmest place in the country is in Nunavut. Out of all things I've seen weather related, this might be the most shocking. It is extremely rare for Nunavut to be warmest territory any month but much more so in the middle of January. Normal high of -23C, normal low of -31C.

That's a 30 degree temperature anomaly.

For some perspective, that would be the equivalent of:

A 29 degree high in Toronto
A 25 degree high in Montreal
A 19 degree high in Winnipeg
A 37 degree high in Vancouver

....in January!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
We got a little dusting of snow, nearly 1 cm. Temperature hovered between -11 and the low of -12.7 overnight. Probably not necessary, but I think I'll go out and shovel, just for old times' sake.
We got slightly more in my part of the GTA - around 3 CM's of the dry, light stuff this morning. I actually find it makes the colder weather a bit more pleasant - everything looks a little nicer coated in white.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 7:11 PM

Something leaking at Oakville GO Station. There’s always a trickle in this spot and the trough on the ground catches it. But that trickle creates a frozen waterfall over time when it’s cold enough. Where’s a pick axe when you need one?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Iqaluit breaking the 0c mark in January isnt something new, and actually wouldnt even crack the top 20 list:

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/...t-temperatures

Edit: just checked yesterdays weather in Iqaluit, and looks like it hit 3.3c which would put it right near the top, I take it back
They were more concerned about the rain. As for Pang. I don't recall every seeing that temp there.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 7:13 PM

Slow steady increase in temps since Sunday. Went to bed is was -21, got up it was -17 it is now -7 and light snow. Finally looking like winter here.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 8:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Slow steady increase in temps since Sunday. Went to bed is was -21, got up it was -17 it is now -7 and light snow. Finally looking like winter here.
As opposed to what? Summer on Hoth?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 9:04 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Something leaking at Oakville GO Station. There’s always a trickle in this spot and the trough on the ground catches it. But that trickle creates a frozen waterfall over time when it’s cold enough. Where’s a pick axe when you need one?
Ah yes, this corridor. Yeah, it's always been a little dank and water-prone. I really don't see how they can avoid this issue given enough freeze-thaw cycles when the wall here is in much worse condition, along with whatever other structural support is being worn by water intrusion.

We also got about 1CM in my part of Toronto, which became sludge in the sidewalks, mixing in with previously frozen sludge and old snowbanks. It's not a great walk out there, but that's winter for you.
It's pretty nice all things considering, with partly overcast conditions and -8C.

EDIT: Apparently the wind chill is -17C. I certainly forgot, until I walked up the incline to my local veggie shop.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2024, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLeeTPHLS View Post
Ah yes, this corridor. Yeah, it's always been a little dank and water-prone. I really don't see how they can avoid this issue given enough freeze-thaw cycles when the wall here is in much worse condition, along with whatever other structural support is being worn by water intrusion.

We also got about 1CM in my part of Toronto, which became sludge in the sidewalks, mixing in with previously frozen sludge and old snowbanks. It's not a great walk out there, but that's winter for you.
It's pretty nice all things considering, with partly overcast conditions and -8C.

EDIT: Apparently the wind chill is -17C. I certainly forgot, until I walked up the incline to my local veggie shop.
I'm surprised by that windchill reading; conditions have seemed rather calm all day in Etobicoke. Certainly didn't feel much colder than the -8.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada