HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 3:59 AM

1/7/2016

Last edited by edwards; Jan 8, 2016 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:27 AM

If that is the core, holy crap! Think about all that lost office space. No wonder they don't build these things every day in earthquake country.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 4:46 AM

I agree with that. Seems like Californias two new thousand footers both have cores that easily take up 1/3 of the towers floor space. There needs to be some form of new tech to fix this problem. I understand its being done because of the earthquake but wow.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 5:41 AM

As expected, the core will get smaller in both thickness and geometry as it goes up.

floor 6

floor 30

floor 55

http://www.salesforcetower.com/sales...tower_leasing/

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:27 AM

If anything there will be *less* office space on the upper floors, even if the core is smaller, because the structure tapers. I took a look at the floorplan layouts and the 40th floor is 43' 8" from the core to the east and 40' 11" to the north, the 55th floor is 32' from core to the wall (it gets awkward though because they make it look like the core will turn into an L shape that high up, but I assume if that area on the north west side was useable office space they would label that)

Compare that to the bottom floors that are 44'5" to the east from the core and 41'8" to the north.

I'm not sure that you can claim the core will get smaller as it goes up by those diagrams, the walls themselves look to be what is getting smaller.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:51 AM

Yes the rentable sqft drops from about 25k to 19k as you go up due to the taper. My point was that the core won't be this huge all the way up.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 7:25 AM

The internal core falsework moved up this afternoon between 4:15 and 5:15.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 5:22 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
If that is the core, holy crap! Think about all that lost office space. No wonder they don't build these things every day in earthquake country.
The huge core is probably to make the two stairwells double wide to give office dwellers easy access down the stairs and firefighters access up the stairs in case of emergency. Also there are going to be ten elevators for a building like this...not a trivial amount of space is needed for those. Finally, bathrooms.

The floor plans look like they are losing a lot of space, but they probably have far more room for employees than old office buildings because of the nature of modern open floor plans (no window offices), and the efficiency of the multifunctional core.

We can see in the diagrams that it is over 40 feet from window to core wall. That is huge.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 6:10 PM

I'm just looking at that core and it alone appears to be the same size as the entirety of 432 Park Ave. in NYC, which is 1,400 feet tall. NY has the advantage of not having to engineer their buildings to seismic codes, which would considerably alter their skyline if that were the case.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 9:30 PM
Droppin' Loads

These large cores are common today, even in non-earthquake prone areas. New York city is not immune. For example, all the towers in the new WTC complex have huge cores.

432 Park is all concrete construction and is entirely residential with few elevators, so it doesn't require a large core for stability or utility space.

Source: http://photo.sf.co.ua/id34

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 9:52 PM

Quote:
I'm just looking at that core and it alone appears to be the same size as the entirety of 432 Park Ave. in NYC, which is 1,400 feet tall. NY has the advantage of not having to engineer their buildings to seismic codes, which would considerably alter their skyline if that were the case.
the lateral resisting structure of 432 park is on the outside of the building (the concrete tube)... that's what makes it so cool. The whole building is the "core," allowing it to be very skinny and making the interior more flexible, which is important for residential buildings which don't have a ton of elevators, toilet rooms, fan rooms, etc in the middle.

by architectural height, these two buildings (Wilshire grand and salesforce tower) are the tallest buildings in the world in seismic "zone 4" (not really the current nomenclature, but >.4G ground acceleration.)

by comparison, the tallest building in Tokyo is 250' shorter.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 11:29 PM

^Very cool, and exciting! I wonder if that type of construction would be able to withstand an 8+ earthquake?

If the tallest building in Tokyo is 250' shorter that means that the tallest buildings in the "Ring of Fire" have been in the U.S. probably since.. ever.

Looks like the Bay Area is even more active/ dangerous/ susceptible than all of China.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 11:51 PM

re: high-rises in earthquake zones. The Costanera Center in Santiago de Chile is just shy of 1000 feet. Resembles Salesforce Tower partly because it was also designed by Pelli.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Not to mention that NYC is blessed with bedrock on 2-3 of the island of Manhattan where as I don't think SF or LA is blessed with that luxury.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 12:53 AM
BANNED

The core of a building this high always makes up a large percent of the footprint due to the number of elevators needed. I don't see anything unusual in the size of this core compared to any other 1000ft tower.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 3:20 AM

^Probably true, I've just never seen anything this large being built in San Fran.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 7:46 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Not to mention that (as we are all painfully aware) it took an eternity to complete the foundation.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
These large cores are common today, even in non-earthquake prone areas. New York city is not immune. For example, all the towers in the new WTC complex have huge cores.

432 Park is all concrete construction and is entirely residential with few elevators, so it doesn't require a large core for stability or utility space.
I'm not sure that what you're saying here is true. Or at the least WTC is a horrible example because those buildings were designed with a lot of unusual safety measures. For example

Quote:
1 WTC has 3-foot (91 cm) thick reinforced concrete walls in all stairwells, elevator shafts, risers, and sprinkler systems. There are also extra-wide, pressurized stairwells, along with a dedicated set of stairwells exclusively for the use of firefighters,

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 5:11 PM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiprsf View Post
re: high-rises in earthquake zones. The Costanera Center in Santiago de Chile is just shy of 1000 feet. Resembles Salesforce Tower partly because it was also designed by Pelli.
Double Woah!

I never knew Salesforce Tower had a twin, and I never knew Santiago Chile was so freakin beautiful!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 9:53 PM

^^^ Yikes, they are twins indeed with different exteriors sheeting. Pelli is starting to become predictable and uninspiring with his work.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture