HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 7:42 AM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post

I own a car and live in the burbs so I'm guilty of helping create this problem. HOWEVER. I have no problem parking my car at a garage and taking transit to the denser areas ( Downtown, Hollywood, Santa Monica and everywhere in between). Hopefully the next prez... ( or hopefully being awarded the Olympics) will streamline billions into our transportation needs. There are so many viable transit lines that can happen in LA, its a shame that the gov isn't more ambitious in terms of LA transit.
You didn't create this problem. The problem started when the red cars were yanked in favor of freeways and continued with NIMBYs fighting rail construction.

Those of us in the present can only use what's available and not all of us can afford to live in the city.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 3:54 PM

Honda of DTLA moving to Exposition Park

New facility is not expected up and running until 2021, but it should open the current dealership site at Figueroa/Venice for development.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:06 PM

CBRE Group Inc. has sold it's corporate headquarters in Downtown Los Angeles for about $330 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangele...s-for-330.html

Real DTLA Development Group

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
2. L.A. had light railway between 1901 and 1963, both cities were nearly on the same level.
And had they kept expanding on it it would've stayed among the largest in the world. And this was just the red car's:

This was how big it had gotten by 1920. This doesn't include the yellow cars or the independent streetcar lines. From San Fernando to Redlands. Corona to Newport Beach. Had the streetcars stayed, I would imagine it would give you a map similar to Berlin as it is right now. To compare the current metro lines of which only began in the 90's to the current map of Berlin which stayed and expanded over the last century is ludicrous.

Good news on the dealership. Hopefully it means more hotels for the convention center. Cross your fingers that the Toyota follows suit.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
And had they kept expanding on it it would've stayed among the largest in the world. And this was just the red car's:
I saw somewhere a map with all historic lines, that was very impressive.

http://laist.com/2012/05/23/1934_map...iv.php#photo-2

I wrote "nearly on the same level as Berlin" because L.A. had the better public transportation.
The Yellow Cars had 642 miles of track at its peak in the 20s, there was no other city like L.A. at that time.

It's a different time now, we have our freeways, but we can still improve our light railways and that's what we are doing right now.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post

Good news on the dealership. Hopefully it means more hotels for the convention center. Cross your fingers that the Toyota follows suit.
I like to see less car dealerships on major streets but I have to admit I do like how Toyota uses the adjacent freeway underpass. I can't imagine how a hotel would utilize that space (outside a surface parking lot).

And I think the dealership's relocation is a lateral move for LA. Now the dealership is at Hoover/MLK meaning it's right in front of the Coliseum and the incoming LAFC stadium. That's a waste of a good location.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:47 PM

Oops. Delete. Sorry for responding to an off topic post.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:32 AM

Less than 5 minutes old..

L.A. weighs taxpayer aid for Grand Avenue project

http://www.latimes.com/la-me-ln-gran...nap-story.html

Quote:
Source - L.A. Times:

On Tuesday, a Los Angeles City Council committee took a major step toward restarting the project, offering a financial aid package worth up to $198.5 million over 25 years. Those funds, they said, would help Related construct a four-star Equinox hotel and hundreds of residential units, along with other amenities.

Under the proposal, Related would keep nearly half of the $396.9 million in taxes that would be generated by the Grand Avenue project for the city over a 25-year period. That money would normally go to the general fund, which pays for police, firefighters and other city employees.

When completed, one tower would rise 38 stories, while the other would be 16 stories, a city report said.

The council is expected to vote on the Grand Avenue financing proposal next week. Construction is expected to start next year.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:38 AM

Quote:

No thanks. Im typically open to subsidies, but not for this project and not in this market. They are proposing a 38 story and 16 story tower. There are 15+ of those under construction in downtown LA right now. If they were building an epic and iconic 80 story tower, then maybe. At this point, i wish Related would sell to a company that actually gave a damn, wasnt bullshitting and was ready to build. This is nonsense.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:45 AM

As has been discussed on this board before, the time when parcel Q would've been revolutionary is now lapsed. Would I like two Gehry towers across from the Disney hall... Yes. But rather than this subsidy, why not just break parcel Q up into separate lots and let whatever developers are interested build towers on them individually. I know there's an agreement with Related, but surely the council was smart enough to write it in such a way that Related can't just sit on the parcel forever, right?

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:46 AM

Quote:

So basically a phase 1 Metropolis. Lame. Remember how this was slated to be one of the biggest projects for DTLA? I'm all for it, but I wish it wasn't downscaled so much..

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:47 AM

They should just sell to Greenland or Oceanwide. Or maybe Caramel Partners or Onni even.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:48 AM

Quote:

No thanks is right!!! Time to call up Greenland or oceanwide or any other Chinese company wanting to get into USA. Retain Gehry and build the larger more splashy version, not this "I can barely afford it so I'm asking for tax break and watered down design!" They have had 2.5 economic cycles to get this thing together. This project and its larger versions are shovel ready

Time to say "GURL BYE!"

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
No thanks is right!!! Time to call up Greenland or oceanwide or any other Chinese company wanting to get into USA. Retain Gehry and build the larger more splashy version, not this "I can barely afford it so I'm asking for tax break and watered down design!" They have had 2.5 economic cycles to get this thing together. This project and its larger versions are shovel ready

Time to say "GURL BYE!"
Not to derail this thread but what will happen if (I certainly hope not) a President Trump starts his promised trade war with China? Will all of these developments by Chinese firms in DTLA come to a halt?

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Not to derail this thread but what will happen if (I certainly hope not) a President Trump starts his promised trade war with China? Will all of these developments by Chinese firms in DTLA come to a halt?
No, because that are investments. That's what Trump wants, he wants China to create jobs for us, to spend money here in the US.
He wants to change the massive trade deficit.

I am not happy either.

The council is expected to vote next week, so let's see how that turns out.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:12 AM

Related is flush with cash, why the hell do they want the tax payer to subsidize their project?, especially after dragging their feet for the last 10 years.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:12 AM

Quote:

I really hope the council votes against this. I'm sure there's plenty of other developers that would take advantage of this prime real estate. I mean, even Inglewood managed to get someone to privately invest a football stadium. Outside the location, what's so special about this proposal which requires that large sum of tax payer dollars?

And if they did vote for that financial aid, it'll set a terrible precedent.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:14 AM

Quote:
No, because that are investments. That's what Trump wants, he wants China to create jobs for us, to spend money here in the US.
He wants to change the massive trade deficit.

I am not happy either.

The council is expected to vote next week, so let's see how that turns out.
China is not going to continue to invest in the U.S. if we hit them with massive, punitive tariffs. The foreign direct investment in downtown LA will come to a halt.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
China is not going to continue to invest in the U.S. if we hit them with massive, punitive tariffs. The foreign direct investment in downtown LA will come to a halt.
That's actually highly speculative. We will see how that turns out.

I think you are wrong, but that's a political issue and I respect your personal opinion.

That's all I have to say.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 3:15 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
If they were building an epic and iconic 80 story tower, then maybe. At this point, i wish Related would sell to a company that actually gave a damn, wasnt bullshitting and was ready to build. This is nonsense.
not just nonsense, but also....

Related has had something like, what?, over 8 yrs to go beyond the preliminary stages of filling in a large part of bunker hill. In all that time the only thing they've managed to build is just one apt tower, the emerson....which isn't even on a very visible part of the land they're entitled to....& that's it. However, they did fund the grand pk proj, but the boost from that starts to pale next to all their dilly dallying in filling in the huge gap at 1st & grand ave.

So now not only are they requesting a subsidy, but their proj, if they do go forward with it, sounds greatly downsized. BORING! To add insult to injury, they wouldn't even break ground til next yr.

I recall frank gehry sounding exasperated several yrs ago when he said the related cos....apparently based on insider info he was privy to at the time....didn't have the means to fund the proj. I was hoping he was being too skeptical. if anything, he wasn't skeptical enough.

as for transit & the completion of the expo line to santa monica, the big question I have is whether more ppl from that part of town will be making the effort to visit dtla, or will more ppl from the dtla side be taking the time & effort to visit samo?

During summertime, it's almost a given way more ppl will be traveling east to west. But during certain days like July 4th or Dec 31st, that may switch in the other direction.

I hope that as dt fills out & receives more positive word of mouth....more favorable press....that some of the largest outdoor crowds in soCa won't be limited to the beach areas or samo pier, but will finally be found on some of the major streets of dtla...& not just during the monthly art walk.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations