HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
These repair shops are being shitty neighbors. You don't own the spot outside your house, but the repair shop doesn't own the entire block either.
Did you know that as a SFH owner I can get your car ticketed if you park in front of my house for more parking there more than three hours. But if you live in a condo you can’t? Any residents in that area would seem to be be multi-family.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Did you know that as a SFH owner I can get your car ticketed if you park in front of my house for more parking there more than three hours. But if you live in a condo you can’t? Any residents in that area would seem to be be multi-family.
Unless it's an EVO or other carshare vehicle (Anyone else can park there outside of the 8am - 6pm window too)

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...lar%20vehicles

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
The solution for the neighbourhood would be to implement a "residents only" policy like neighbourhoods around Langara or SkyTrain stations.
this wouldn't solve the problem. CoV gives RPP parking permits for all car share vehicles. they're allowed to park in any RPP zones with no limits in the entire CoV.

though as for a repair shop using street parking to store cars? nope, that is not something that should be allowed. imagine car dealerships storing their cars on the streets instead of in their lots. yes, it is more visible with EVO cars, but that doesnt mean it should be allowed in any context. no one owns the street right of way, that includes these businesses using up the entire block. and because its their business, they can easily take spots when others leave for work and then keep them there unlimited. that is not right at all for any business to do it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Unless it's an EVO or other carshare vehicle (Anyone else can park there outside of the 8am - 6pm window too)

https://vancouver.ca/streets-transpo...lar%20vehicles
The city playing favourites again. Why can EVO get an exemption but not Yellow Cab?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 7:07 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Oh I know that area. The city normally regulates street parking along Victoria to 2 hours max but other than loading areas there are no parking restrictions and you can be there all day. The whole area is littered with small car repair shops that can take on two or three cars at a time. I can vouch for some of them doing good work but the better places park the client cars on the street during the day and at closing cram the lot right up to the gate with cars so they aren't as likely to get targeted. Tesla has their service depot about a block away but they can afford a larger fenced compound.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 9:23 AM

Quote:
The city playing favourites again. Why can EVO get an exemption but not Yellow Cab?
Why would a regular taxi need off-hour parking? And surely the industry's 20-30 years of exclusive licenses were enough favouritism as it is?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 6:40 PM

Quote:
You truly are a cut above the rest of us plebs.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 6:52 PM

Quote:
I was actually pointing out how inequitable it was, in the same way the city favouring Evo was unfair.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 6:56 PM

Quote:
it is not as simple as he makes it seem. what he can do is call the CoV and report it, yes. but now, the bylaw officer needs to see the car there for 3hrs. they don't just take the word of a resident. so that means at minimum you can stay for 6hrs.

also, on-top of this, parking enforcement is understaffed and these calls are the lowest priority. i would be surprised if they showed up at all unless they truly have nothing else to do. while technically a SFH could do this, it is petty and ridiculous. i could see *maybe* if it was the same car all the time, in the same spot, continuously.

yes carshares do have exemptions to many of these parking bylaws. the idea being to encourage carshare use and lower car ownership.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 6:08 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
I'm not anti-car share but there is some appalling driving "skills" exhibited by Evo drivers. It seems to be a revelation to some that headlights are to be used once it gets dark.

Driving is a skill like any other complex task. If you don't do it often your skills get rusty. would you want to get on a plane with a pilot who only flew every few months?
I no longer own a car. But when I did own a car I would go weeks without using it because I relied on transit and my legs to get everywhere. I won't proclaim that I am a good driver, but I will say it's just as easy for someone who owns a vehicle to go weeks or months without driving as it is for an Evo driver. Also, I think suggesting all Evo drivers don't own a car is inaccurate. Evo is pretty useful as a one-way service where if you don't want to worry about paying for parking or if you want to drive somewhere but take transit back or vice-versa you can.

I'll agree with GenWhy, bad Evo drivers are more noticeable because of the car they drive. I think if a study was conducted it would find that the percentage of Evo drivers that are poor drivers would be similar to the percentage of total drivers that are poor drivers. Guess what, I saw a Tesla park illegally in a bus stop yesterday. And a Subaru almost ran me over in a crosswalk because the driver ignored the stop sign. And a soccer mom drove without a minivan without headlights on because she must be used to the automatic lights on her Escalade. And when I was in Portland a number of cars drove the wrong way down street car corridors and none of the vehicles were carshare vehicles!

The point is, poor drivers are everywhere and despite a number of attempts to find a common denominator (females, asians, the elderly, carsharerers, etc.) there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who sucks at driving and who doesn't. But there does seem to be an abundance of people like you who like to use broad strokes in an attempt to pin the blame on one group of people.

I have news for you, but the requirements for staying current as a pilot who carries no passengers are not that stringent. I may not get in a plane with such a pilot, but there's no guarantee somebody who has flown once in the past five years won't fly into the path of my commercial flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
yes carshares do have exemptions to many of these parking bylaws. the idea being to encourage carshare use and lower car ownership.
This specific example seems like a nuisance to the surrounding residents and businesses, but this is the exception and not the rule for Evos. It is rare to see an Evo parked in the same spot overnight. In fact, I would wager that Evos have the highest ratio of time spent driving compared to time spent parked of almost any vehicle on the road.

One of the benefits automated vehicle advocates crow about is that cars will no longer need to be driven to the office, parked, and driven home eight hours later. Instead, vehicles will be able to drive someone to work, spend eight hours working as a taxi and making the vehicle's owner money, and then drive home. But carshare vehicles already do this!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 6:20 PM

I've suggested to EVO many times that they have a required online course for all members on membership basics and vehicle operation. They could have you complete it yearly and require a pass to renew membership.

Ron.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 6:22 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
I've suggested to EVO many times that they have a required online course for all members on membership basics and vehicle operation. They could have you complete it yearly and require a pass to renew membership.

Ron.
Why should EVO do something ICBC doesn't do for every other driver? I am sure that if an EVO driver caused enough trouble (such as being at-fault for multiple accidents or getting a car towed repeatedly) their membership would be suspended.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Why should EVO do something ICBC doesn't do for every other driver? I am sure that if an EVO driver caused enough trouble (such as being at-fault for multiple accidents or getting a car towed repeatedly) their membership would be suspended.
IMO ICBC should do something similar.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 6:51 PM

If Evo drivers were out there crashing into things and causing BCAA to pay tons in insurance and have hundreds of cars left out of service, we'd see something reflected in their policies. But we don't, because they aren't.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 7:13 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
IMO ICBC should do something similar.
I agree. In general, a driver's license for life makes no sense when driving is arguably the most dangerous thing people do on a regular basis.

But if there's no business case for Evo to enforce more stringent competency requirements for their members it's not like they have a responsibility to do so in order to placate whatnext or Ron.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 7:19 PM

Quote:
If Evo drivers were out there crashing into things and causing BCAA to pay tons in insurance and have hundreds of cars left out of service, we'd see something reflected in their policies. But we don't, because they aren't.
It would be interesting to see how many licensed taxi vehicles are repaired through ICBC every year vs. EVO.

The decent thing for Evo and the body shop in question would be for BCAA to store these vehicles elsewhere until the body shop was ready to repair them. It's not like BCAA doesn't have access to tow trucks.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 7:22 PM

Quote:
It would be interesting to see how many licensed taxi vehicles are repaired through ICBC every year vs. EVO.
That's a good point, I'd rather be driving next to an EVO than a taxi or Uber/Lyft. When you have a lot of driving experience, you know exactly how fucked up you can drive and get away with it!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
this wouldn't solve the problem. CoV gives RPP parking permits for all car share vehicles. they're allowed to park in any RPP zones with no limits in the entire CoV.
Thanks, I didn't know that.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
I think if a study was conducted it would find that the percentage of Evo drivers that are poor drivers would be similar to the percentage of total drivers that are poor drivers.
I signed up for Car2Go once when my car was out of service for a few months. I only used it a couple of times, and both times I was super antsy because I was aware that every minute I drove cost me more money.

It wasn't a lot of money, and it wasn't really a rational reaction. But every time I had to stop for a traffic light or got blocked by someone who didn't have the courtesy to pull out of traffic and into the curb lane to wait for pedestrians before making their right turn made me anxious and way more irritated than when I normally drive.

Now when I see car share drivers I always consider that they might be experiencing the same thing. I kind of mentally lump them into the same category as taxi drivers who always seem to be in a hurry to impress their fares. Except that I tend to assume that car share drivers have less experience than a typical motorist, so I expect them to be like taxi drivers with an "N" placard on the back...

Of course I know that there's a whole spectrum of car share users out there, but that's my default assumption until something they do causes me to think otherwise.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I signed up for Car2Go once when my car was out of service for a few months. I only used it a couple of times, and both times I was super antsy because I was aware that every minute I drove cost me more money.
I found that the Car-to-Go drivers seemed to zip around and dodge in and out of traffic more than Evo drivers do
- maybe because of the smaller car size.

But you're right - they are on the clock, like any other driver or worker who is on the clock.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure