HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 3:27 PM
SkyTrain Nut

CTV this morning. We broke $2 before Saturday.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 3:40 PM

In 2008 when oil was around the same price as today, gas was ~$1.22. Interesting.

Ron.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:14 PM

The residential electricity rate to power my EV has gone up an average of 1% a year over the last 3 years. I am bracing for BC Hydro's forecast 3% increase in April 2023 though.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottN View Post
Current price of oil is ~$110 per barrel. From 2010-2014, the price of oil averaged over $100 per barrel. What were gas prices then? A lot less than $2.00 per liter I think.
Gasoline you buy is priced in Canadian dollars. wholesale gasoline is linked to US dollars.

Gotta include the exchange price.

Average end of year exchange price from 2010-2014 is $1.0308568. Current is $1.277s.

That is a 24% different right there.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
In 2008 when oil was around the same price as today, gas was ~$1.22. Interesting.
This National Post article puts some of the blame on the pipeline bottleneck and the lack of refineries in southwest BC.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
This National Post article puts some of the blame on the pipeline bottleneck and the lack of refineries in southwest BC.
A tale as old as time.

I'm curious what our gasoline consumption looks like as EVs explode in popularity here. Are we still trending higher?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 8:04 PM

If people were on the fence about buying an electric car a month ago, they aren’t now. Oil companies are going for a quick death this decade.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
If people were on the fence about buying an electric car a month ago, they aren’t now. Oil companies are going for a quick death this decade.
As long as they can wait 6-12 months for their new car.

Ron.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Just watched the gas station across the street change the price to 185.9. We will easily surpass the 2.00 mark.
the north side of Lougheed Husky station in Coquitlam was 202.9 last night but it was already closed, the one on the south side a block away was still open and the price was 200.9

Across in Surrey a few minutes later the Shell on 108th was 186.9 and had a small lineup.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 9:59 PM

Quote:

Ron.
Yeah, that's what sucks. This would be the perfect time to actually get people to switch to electric but there's nothing to be had. By the time supply is restored gas will likely have sunk back down again. Even if you wanted to trade in your F-150 for a Honda Civic you'd likely face a wait.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 12:08 AM

I guess if you aren't charging at home the new Tesla supercharge pricing is getting closer to gas prices in some regions?

https://driveteslacanada.ca/supercha...ges-in-the-us/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I guess if you aren't charging at home the new Tesla supercharge pricing is getting closer to gas prices in some regions?

https://driveteslacanada.ca/supercha...ges-in-the-us/
Yeah getting up there, but nowhere near gas. More like 50% of the cost instead of 15-20%.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Glad I bought my EV back in 2017. 4-1/2 years and 100K km and it's never needed to go back to the dealer except for one software update. The only thing I've had to do is swap tires, cabin air filter, and windshield wipers.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Glad I bought my EV back in 2017. 4-1/2 years and 100K km and it's never needed to go back to the dealer except for one software update. The only thing I've had to do is swap tires, cabin air filter, and windshield wipers.
Which brand and model?
Just curious. I doubt I would buy one because I dont have chargers in my condo garage and having to charge it elsewhere would be a hassle since I only ever make short trips. That favours a hybrid, if anything.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Which brand and model?
Just curious. I doubt I would buy one because I dont have chargers in my condo garage and having to charge it elsewhere would be a hassle since I only ever make short trips. That favours a hybrid, if anything.
Mine is a Chevy Bolt. There's no doubt that owning an EV is a lot less attractive without a charger to use at your residence. Vancouver's required electrical connections for chargers in all condo parking stalls for several years now, so there must be more units coming on the market both new and used that would support it.

EV prices are still high, but boy are they ever great to drive and cheap to run.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 8:51 PM

Cool, thanks.
Tesla has had a number of recalls and the price is high.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
They've already confirmed the carbon tax will increase on April 1. It's 1c per litre - given what 'market forces' are doing to the price of gas, it's pretty much irrelevant.
It might be irrelevant from a pricing standpoint but if the BC NDP think they can go through with increase on April 1 and not take some body blows they’re mistaken. Kevin Falcon is not Andrew Wilkinson. He’ll for the jugular with it. The NDP needs to remember they’re supposed to be the party of ordinary working people. If we wanted out of touch enviro-zealots, the Greens would be in power right now.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Cool, thanks.
Tesla has had a number of recalls and the price is high.
personally i would avoid Tesla. they were great when there was no other competition, though now they're pretty much the same price or higher, and of a lower quality.

my next daily driver will most likely be electric, though not a Tesla. the free superchargers were 100% a selling feature and would have maybe swayed me, but without that bonus there really is no point with all the other companies now going electric.

i really like the Lucid Air, looks phenomenal, though same issue as Tesla as it is more of a tech company vs manufacturing company. i wouldn't get one, no matter how much i love it.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It might be irrelevant from a pricing standpoint but if the BC NDP think they can go through with increase on April 1 and not take some body blows they’re mistaken. Kevin Falcon is not Andrew Wilkinson. He’ll for the jugular with it. The NDP needs to remember they’re supposed to be the party of ordinary working people. If we wanted out of touch enviro-zealots, the Greens would be in power right now.
Falcon is already trying to make it an issue, but it's getting very little coverage. That may be because he proudly proclaims that the carbon tax was a Liberal initiative that the NDP opposed when it was introduced. If, in the fall of 2024 he really tries to win the election complaining about a 1c per litre increase on the carbon tax in April 2022 (a tax the government he was in introduced), he probably won't win. The NDP are pointing out that the carbon tax goes to building roads and providing transit to making sure that the infrastructure is as modern as it can be. Given the cost to the taxpayers of repairing and replacing all the infrastructure damaged or destroyed by the severe weather we've been experiencing, that seems a pretty strong response.

Right now Falcon is trying to win a seat, then change the name of the Liberal Party, and then propose a solution to high house prices through enacting legislation to addresses housing supply. That's maybe not surprising, given what he's been doing for nearly a decade, but it will frighten any anti-development municipalities (or like-minded residents) and might not help his party get elected.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 1:19 AM
SkyTrain Nut

I don't support a removal of the carbon tax simply because it sabotages the whole point of the tax. I agree that it's a cheap political shot.

I'm carbureted, so I have to tune for the altitude I normally live at and that means I'm running overly lean by the time I arrive in Chilliwack. I had to install a knock sensor because otherwise my coastal visits and using cheaper ethanol blends would destroy my engine with spark knock.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure