HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I thought Fairway Woods was the residential project next to Vic Hospital? I’m pretty sure the project they’re referring to is the 7 storey building next to Chancellor Station which is replacing a couple of duplexes.
Correct. They started working on the second building of Fairway Woods a couple of months ago after doing the foundation a couple of years ago.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 10:11 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
How much money would it feasibly save on a project to do single stair?
I wrote a column about that not long ago.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/op...nge-in-housing

Just before Christmas, Winnipeg became the thirteenth city in Canada to sign on to the federal government’s Housing Accelerator Fund. The program brings both levels of government together to work collaboratively on initiatives that accelerate new housing construction to increase market supply and in-turn, promote affordability. Signing on to the program was the easy part. Now, the hard work begins.

If we are being forthright about our desire to tackle the housing crisis, we must accept that our neighbourhoods are going to change. People need homes and they have to be built somewhere. The city can no longer afford to grow through sprawling development on the periphery, and we can’t expect all new housing to be in large apartment blocks on urban highways or downtown. People want to live in neighbourhoods. A future for all Canadian cities that is economically, socially, and environmentally sustainable will require greater housing diversity and higher densities, embedded within the traditional single-family neighbourhoods that make up the bulk of our existing cities. Small scale multi-family buildings like townhouses, duplexes, fourplexes and small apartments will be vital to increasing housing supply while providing an affordable and high-quality of life for new residents. To achieve this, the federal government is requiring that Winnipeg reform its zoning bylaws to allow a four-plex on any single-family lot in the city. This will certainly create public resistance from those lucky enough to already own a house, but to be against higher density neighbourhood growth, is to oppose providing good places for families to live and is one of the root causes of Canada’s housing crisis today.

With high land, construction, and financing costs, the development economics of small-scale, neighbourhood focused, infill buildings can be challenging, and implementing higher density zoning alone has proven to be insufficient in unlocking this type of development in impactful amounts. To be successful, other complimentary reforms must be considered. Additional regulatory changes to setback requirements, height restrictions and lot coverage allowances contribute to making diverse housing projects more viable, and perhaps most significantly, the elimination of mandatory parking requirements is a policy change that many cities are finding to be impactful.

In Winnipeg, the government requires the construction of 1.5 parking stalls for every residential unit built, reduced to 1.2 in some inner-city areas. When a four-plex requires six parking stalls, it consumes so much land area that many infill properties lose their viability. For a small apartment building, structured parking can be responsible for as much as twenty percent of the overall construction cost, a value that is passed on to the tenants in higher rents.

Before eliminating its parking minimums, the City of Edmonton found that they were responsible for 50 percent more parking being built than needed. When developers are free to build as much parking as is required to make their projects leasable, they typically build less, resulting in reduced development costs and more affordable housing becoming available. Since eliminating mandatory parking minimums, Minneapolis has seen the amount of parking being built cut in half, contributing to significant growth in new housing construction and a greater market supply that has reduced average rental rates.

Considering creative modifications to the building code can also complement zoning reform to make small scale infill development more viable. An innovative code reform that is being studied in British Columbia is to permit the construction of buildings called ‘point access blocks’. These are small and medium scale apartment buildings with a single staircase and elevator serving all suites. It’s a building type that has been commonly built across the world for centuries but is illegal in Canada. If you’ve been to Europe, you’ve likely stayed in one, with suites on each floor opening directly to a central stair and small elevator.

It may sound banal, but allowing this type of apartment building would create enormous possibilities for small buildings in our cities. In Canada, all buildings taller than two storeys require two staircases, located at opposite ends of the building. This requirement can take up a lot of room in a small apartment, reducing leasable area, making them less economically viable, and limiting design flexibility. To offset this decreased efficiency, most apartment buildings in Canada are made larger and incorporate a double loaded corridor, like a hotel, with suites on each side, and a stair at each end. This layout is partly why new multi-family buildings often look so similar and it results in most suites having access to only one exterior wall. A point access block typically has four units per floor wrapping around a central stair with each suite having access to a corner and second exterior wall, resulting in more windows, natural cross ventilation, and the potential for more bedrooms. Fire safety is maintained using sprinkler systems, fire rated construction, short travel distances, and smaller building types with lower occupancies.

The increased efficiency of single stair buildings would make the economics of small lot infill development more viable and invite smaller developers, with less access to capital, to build more housing. The variation in design of narrow, fine-grained buildings that point access blocks create, often result in more interesting urban streetscapes than the block-long multi-family buildings we typically build in Canada.

To successfully address Canada’s housing crisis, it will be critical that cities find ways to make small scale infill development viable in mature neighbourhoods. To achieve this, it will require composing a complementary network of initiatives that incorporate new ideas such as point access blocks, parking minimums, and zoning reform to make cities more affordable and livable in the future.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
so you are saying you want it to remain a church
I was going to make a more obvious joke about that but I figured some people might pick up on it anyway lol

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
‘point access blocks’.
Removing parking minimums is probably a good idea when you look at the problem broadly, but to make the idea of living in an multifamily building more attractive (at least to me) is enabling the construction of point access blocks. Living in a large hotel room pales in comparison to what you can have in a PAB.

I think this would have the larger impact of the two in terms of addressing the lifestyle of this time of dwelling.

That being said I can appreciate how the removal of mandatory parking minimums would benefit the construction community at large, especially smaller firms.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 8:17 PM

https://www.centerforbuilding.org/bl...-north-america

This article on the topic of point access really made it clear to me why it's an improvement.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 8:50 PM

I don't necessarily disagree with what's being said. But you don't NEED to have the double loaded corridor. It's just the cheapest way. The outer wall doesn't NEED to be straight, you could have a varied elevation (like the new building on Osborne TV designed) to get more windows.

And then I read "OMG Wheelchairs!" and the whole thing became moot for me. Basically the recommendation is to use smaller, shittier access points so you can get windows into your bedrooms. At the sacrifice of accessibility because "like who cares". If the code was changed to allow for a single staircase up to X units, you can still keep a slightly larger elevator.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audie View Post
https://www.centerforbuilding.org/bl...-north-america

This article on the topic of point access really made it clear to me why it's an improvement.
I like this article as it explains point access very well. It does seem to very casually brush off the importance of health, safety and accessibility needs of people.

The idea that paramedics can just take the stairs carrying a stretcher seems a little excessive as that would not only take added time for a patient experiencing an emergency and a health and safety risk to the paramedics. I also don't think the excuse that other places are doing it so its fine is a bit of a poor reason.

That being said, if you simply get rid of the 2 stair requirement you could accommodate the point access model pretty easily. As long as your fire codes for new builds is adequate, you could probably make a single staircase adequate.

Our elevators being bigger and stairs being rectangular don't impede our ability to implement point access. Are there other codes that hinder the use of point access?

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 8:07 PM

Reading some city council business and came across a new development coming to St Mary's Road. 7 story, 120 units with ground floor commercial. 1007-1009 St Mary's next to the church.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 10:20 PM

ahhh yes that lot has been screaming development forever. other churches should take note if they are indeed involved with it.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 1:38 PM

that church has huge lots (parking & greenspace) fronting a major thoroughfare street, great to see!

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
that church has huge lots (parking & greenspace) fronting a major thoroughfare street, great to see!
Isn't there a similar plan for the RC cathedral downtown?

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Most recent article I can find is from January 2017. Kind of have a feeling the project is dead at this point.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...town-developer

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:53 PM

Quote:

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Most recent article I can find is from January 2017. Kind of have a feeling the project is dead at this point.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bu...town-developer
Maybe one day.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 8:39 PM

^I talked to the big wigs at the Archdiocese office on Pembina about a year or more ago when I was doing a lighting job there and they said this project is a pie-in-the-sky, probably not gonna happen for a long long time.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
^I talked to the big wigs at the Archdiocese office on Pembina about a year or more ago when I was doing a lighting job there and they said this project is a pie-in-the-sky, probably not gonna happen for a long long time.
Yeah not surprising, hopefully one day.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 5:44 PM

Hey, first time poster but long time reader. So when I traveled to Dublin a couple years ago a congregation had a similar problem, heritage church but no money for repairs. So they sold to a developer. It would be an amazing addition to downtown if we did the same as this to the church "note the church on the interior of the new building". https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3489...5410&entry=ttu

Last edited by Centrlsky49; May 31, 2024 at 5:52 PM. Reason: no picture

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 5:53 PM
There is always a way

Welcome aboard! Yeah I would hope that at least the heritage structure can be saved if a developers comes onboard. Hopefully the whole thing can be salvaged by utilizing the lot next door.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 6:07 PM
keep the good times going

I wonder if they could partner with a local developer - similar to West Broadway Commons where the All Saints Anglican Church redevelopment with the UWCRC 2.0. to create housing.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 6:46 PM

I'm a lurker too.
There's a pretty good recent example of an adaptive reuse of a church in Ottawa; you can see it here: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho....php?p=9973146 (I hope--If I'm not be doing this right, you can also search All Saints in Sandy Hill, Ottawa). Not the same kind of structural difficulties, but equally threatened. The parking lot to the north of Holy Trinity, as well as the area currently occupied by the more recent church hall, could be developed to support the conservation of the church and contribute to the streetscape. It requires vision and somewhat deep pockets, but it can be done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan