HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Good. Just build it and move on. Pretty much anything looks better than just Atlantic Place by itself.
Agree! Also, I like it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 12:45 AM

I agree. There's an uproar over every single development proposed for downtown, and at the end of the day when it's built and open you never hear anyone complain again. 351, Garden Inn, ALT Hotel were all the same.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Council shoots down the suggestion by O'Leary to rescind the AP proposal approval.
Great news. Hopefully the developer still has an appetite for it.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 11:33 PM

JAG Expansion

Any word on this of late?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Any word on this of late?
Still a pit. No action last I checked.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 12:43 AM

So, at the Council COW meeting this week, there was a proposal from KMK Capital to build a 4-storey, and 8-storey buildings and a 10-story parking structure ( 900 spots) on Searose Dr., west of the Canadian Tire.

There was a discussion started by Counclr Hickman to the idea that they should be enticed or forced to consider doing it downtown, roundly rejected by the other members. Can you imaging the effort needed to get a 10 storey building into the downtown?? Ironically just before that item was some poor guy trying to get approved to replace a window on his house and the hassle he's had with Council for a really small change, not even against Heritage standards, it seems.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
So, at the Council COW meeting this week, there was a proposal from KMK Capital to build a 4-storey, and 8-storey buildings and a 10-story parking structure ( 900 spots) on Searose Dr., west of the Canadian Tire.

There was a discussion started by Counclr Hickman to the idea that they should be enticed or forced to consider doing it downtown, roundly rejected by the other members. Can you imaging the effort needed to get a 10 storey building into the downtown?? Ironically just before that item was some poor guy trying to get approved to replace a window on his house and the hassle he's had with Council for a really small change, not even against Heritage standards, it seems.
LOL. Not unusual. Interesting KMK wants to go ahead up there, even with the oil companies pausing. In for the long game I guess?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
LOL. Not unusual. Interesting KMK wants to go ahead up there, even with the oil companies pausing. In for the long game I guess?

I was driving around that area a couple of days ago, mainly checking out the construction of the Hebron Way extension to Major's Path, and noticed that there is something under construction behind the Crosbie Building; it appears to be a substantial construction site. I believe that it is the site of the referenced KMK proposal west of the Canadian Tire.

I took a couple of pictures but I don't know how to post them? If someone can share with me how to post pics I will put them up!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2020, 2:39 PM

While I'd love more tall developments downtown they can keep those 10 storey parking garages out of downtown please and thank you.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2020, 9:43 PM

thought id try out this page here all my co workers are always on here. very useful page I must say. I'm excited to be sharing my ideas with you all here!!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2020, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfaulkner View Post
thought id try out this page here all my co workers are always on here. very useful page I must say. I'm excited to be sharing my ideas with you all here!!
Welcome bud!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post

This is at least the second, if not third or fourth, proposal for this site, each time they have to get a variance for some aspect or another.

It is a bit surprising that KMK wants to add more office space when there must be thousands of sq ft empty these days. Yes, future planning...hopefully.

One of the interesting aspects is the 10 story parking structure, even though there is some amount of surface parking there is still a need for additional parking for the density of the development. (They had to add a parking structure for their other development on Hebron way). Perhaps every employee is taking two cars to work...ha..ha.

Downtown is certainly losing any grip it might have had on being a "Central Business District". Without parking or an efficient transit system you just aren't going to attract workers downtown. What then is the future of downtown?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 12:34 PM

Pedestrian Mall

Here we go; nothing ever simple in St. John's

I fear the summer will be over before it's attempted.

https://vocm.com/2020/06/17/downtown-pedestrian-mall-2/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Here we go; nothing ever simple in St. John's

I fear the summer will be over before it's attempted.

https://vocm.com/2020/06/17/downtown-pedestrian-mall-2/
After posting VOCMs story, saw a tweet from Danny Breen that it's going ahead on Water from July 3rd to Sept 7th! Stay tuned for details.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 12:59 PM

The City of St. John’s is pleased to announce that the proposed pedestrian mall for the downtown will proceed this summer.

Beginning July 3 and continuing until September 7, Water Street from Bishop’s Cove to Job’s Cove will be open to pedestrian traffic only from noon to 10 p.m. daily.

Allowance will be made to permit deliveries as well as access to businesses, as needed, until noon. Outside this time, delivery drivers will have designated parking in the coves between Water Street, and Harbour Drive. Accessible parking spaces will also be marked on Water Street off Clift’s Baird’s Cove, Ayre’s Cove and Bishop’s Cove.

The closure will allow businesses to expand onto the street and for pedestrians to walk freely and enjoy the downtown this summer. Picnic tables will be added to the streetscape and the City of St. John’s will install barricades and provide security to protect the pedestrian flow.

“We are very excited to offer residents and downtown business owners this new experience for July and August,” explained Councillor Debbie Hanlon, council representative on the Board of Downtown St. John’s. “We certainly hope that residents make the most of this experience and visit the new pedestrian mall often this summer.”

Regarding parking for visitors, while Water Street will be closed for regular parking during this period in the four blocks included in the mall, there are places to park on Duckworth Street, Water Street and Harbour Drive and the adjacent coves, close to the pedestrian mall area. In addition, there are parking garages located in close proximity.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 3:21 PM

The dates and times they have quoted weren't either that were listed in the questionnaire, but are honestly way better. Maybe the city might actually do the right thing here!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2020, 9:35 PM

Quote:
The dates and times they have quoted weren't either that were listed in the questionnaire, but are honestly way better. Maybe the city might actually do the right thing here!
Agree. It's great they're going ahead!

Timing was also weird. VOCM posted the story on more time needed to agree on the option; and literally 2 min later, I saw a tweet from Breen that it was a go, and as you said, mentioned different dates.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 1:44 PM

If you thought sitting on the Sundance Deck at 3pm in the afternoon was warm, just wait until you're sitting at a table on Water Street asphalt on a hot sunny day!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Well, the design of the building was approved by council last night. Still has to go through a formal approval yet.

The Telegram
June 11, 2019
Juanita Mercer

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...ng-lot-320827/
Has work started on this? I was looking at the NTV Downtown cam which overlooks part of Bishops Cove. There is an excavator in the parking lot and looks like some work going on against the adjacent buildings. Hard to tell exactly from the cam view.

http://ntv.ca/web-cams/downtown-cam/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
If you thought sitting on the Sundance Deck at 3pm in the afternoon was warm, just wait until you're sitting at a table on Water Street asphalt on a hot sunny day!
Yep, which is why permanent malls, i.e. Sparkes Street are all paving stones.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's