HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Exactly. This design is awesome
Absolutely agreed. This design, to me, is already iconic. Pays homage to the arch shape of the previous design, but also wonderfully modern and not simply a pastiche of the previous bridge (i.e. like the school complex that replace the Ambassador Hotel in Koreatown).

This is all before it becomes the backdrop for literally every car commercial, action movie, music video etc.

The park space below if built as rendered will be incredible.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Short answer... We the community chose this design. Calatrava came up early in 2012 on and there were numerous proposals put forth for community input. This design was the winner. We went with local architect Michael Maltzman and HNTB.
Something tells me cost was a factor as well. I believe the Calatrava-designed WTC Transit stop was to cost $2 billion, initially, and it ballooned to $4B. Calatrava doesn't come cheap.

I'm guessing the lighting at night will really transform this bridge, and I'll take another appraisal of it when I see it on my next trip.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What on earth did you want? I love the design. I think it's fabulous and will be even more beautiful at night. Plus the park below is a much needed added bonus. Can't say much about the new boxy apartments going up everywhere but the bridge I love. And it will be a big attraction.
I agree with IMBY. Compared to what it was, it's very stale... back when they first unveiled the rendering and now. Maybe there is some kind of Stockholm Syndrome going on since we've been "captive" in this construction state for so long, people are falling in love with it. For me, Michael Maltzan is the Michael Graves of today and that's not a good thing.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
Absolutely agreed. This design, to me, is already iconic. Pays homage to the arch shape of the previous design, but also wonderfully modern and not simply a pastiche of the previous bridge (i.e. like the school complex that replace the Ambassador Hotel in Koreatown).

This is all before it becomes the backdrop for literally every car commercial, action movie, music video etc.

The park space below if built as rendered will be incredible.
The area around the bridge, at least on the east side of it, sucks. It's a total wasteland of industry and concrete. Not to be a downer, but the new bridge seems like lipstick on a pig considering the river itself and the whole environment around it is a mess.

This is the area I'm talking about: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0364...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
The area around the bridge, at least on the east side of it, sucks. It's a total wasteland of industry and concrete. Not to be a downer, but the new bridge seems like lipstick on a pig considering the river itself and the whole environment around it is a mess.

This is the area I'm talking about: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0364...7i16384!8i8192
All the more reason to create some much needed green space.

Encouraging more investment in redeveloping the Arts District east of the river is a positive.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Short answer... We the community chose this design. Calatrava came up early in 2012 on and there were numerous proposals put forth for community input. This design was the winner. We went with local architect Michael Maltzman and HNTB.
I like the new bridge. Calatrava would've just made yet another white fishbone-looking thing.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 22, 2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
All the more reason to create some much needed green space.

Encouraging more investment in redeveloping the Arts District east of the river is a positive.
...and redeveloping the Eastside in general. Tons of people live there, why not give them something nice for a change?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post

It currently is, yes, but as the arts district explodes in development and growth, that side of the river (along with the river) will eventually change for the better. The bones are there for a cool neighborhood

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Something tells me cost was a factor as well. I believe the Calatrava-designed WTC Transit stop was to cost $2 billion, initially, and it ballooned to $4B. Calatrava doesn't come cheap.

I'm guessing the lighting at night will really transform this bridge, and I'll take another appraisal of it when I see it on my next trip.
Makes sense. After all isn’t this why the stairways originally planned along the arches were cut out?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 2:52 AM

I had to pick up a relative at LAX a few days ago, staying at a hotel in dtla, the former holiday inn across from LA Live....the drive from the 105 fwy to the 110 was bumper to bumper for most of the way. Once we got to dt itself, however, the congestion largely disappeared. That urban schizophrenia of LA has always annoyed me. It's as though ppl in LA like living in their cars on a fwy but not in neighborhoods themselves.

The large size of LA's population isn't as apparent based on various surface streets or certainly sidewalks, but on clogged fwys. The sidewalks of dtla in particular are way less active than they'd be not just compared with what's found in a world class city like london, tokyo or nyc, but even in santa monica or old town pasadena.

Because dtla was in such bad shape for over 50 yrs, it became increasingly unfriendly & lost the ppl factor. Also since many of the hoods around dt aren't too friendly either, the type of person who keeps a city booming isn't as common as they are around west LA or several miles to the north in the san gabriel valley, or south behind the orange curtain.

dtla is still better today in general than it was yrs ago...the apt tower rising at 7th Fig & on the corner of 8th & fig help fill in big gaps. But the road to recovery is behind where it would be in 2021 if dtla hadn't fallen so far behind decades ago. Or because it was never competitive enough to begin with.

Video Link

Video Link

EDIT: If things like the new 6th st bridge & whether it could have been designed by a Santiago calavatra instead of michael maltzan...btw, I think it's very good....or if frank Gehry's grand ave proj should have had granite walls instead of painted concrete ones were the main problems facing dtla...& LA in general....the city would be in fairly good shape.

the following city doesn't have the supposedly nice weather of la, & it is post covid pandemic too....but oh, my....it makes dtla...& even nyc....seem like it's still stuck in some semi lockdown, semi depression, semi abandoned world....

the number of ppl out & about on these streets makes me think of a much nicer version of the number of ppl in their cars on the crowded harbor fwy between LAX & dtla.

Video Link

London was full of nice looking hoods going back over 100 yrs.....LA regrettably wasn't...That's a crucial difference between the two cities....not so much due to the arrival of the automobile or the building of fwys...or ppl running out to the burbs because dtla was too popular & crowded.

Last edited by citywatch; Nov 24, 2021 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 6:52 PM

Signs of life at Chinatown's new 25 story tower. https://urbanize.city/la/post/strip-...rise-chinatown

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 6:57 PM
你的媽媽

Nice project!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
EDIT: If things like the new 6th st bridge & whether it could have been designed by a Santiago calavatra instead of michael maltzan...
Maltzan is a better designer. Calatrava is the definition of style over substance. Plus he would have charged the taxpayers a trillion dollars.

Also, disliking the overall design at proposal is fine, but I get a sense people who are judging it by the way it looks while under construction compared to the renderings. We’re just looking at bone right now, drying concrete. We don’t know what the final treatments will bring. It’s the last 10% of the leg where every project changes drastically to it’s final form.

What is up with LA and the lights color scheme for Christmas, is it Christmas time or did the Lakers win a championship?

Last edited by ocman; Nov 24, 2021 at 10:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
The consequences of banning the most common housing type in the middle of a housing crisis would appear to be very predictable.
Not necessarily. Because there are consequences to value engineering as well. These aren’t meant to last more than 40 years, and that’s not an exaggeration.

The housing issue could just be exactly the same without of this style of construction. Most is dependent on sensibly zoning. Industries adapt as usual. NYC, for instances, bans 5/1s and have adapted, even benefitted from it.

Last edited by ocman; Nov 24, 2021 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
What is up with LA and the lights color scheme for Christmas, is it Christmas time or did the Lakers win a championship?
Now that you mention it, yep, the SaMo 2nd St promenade sure has a lot of purple lighting.

Studying that part of LA to the west and Pasadena to the east/north is important in understanding why dtla was such a big gap for decades. DT wasn't pulling its fair share of socal's weight for over 70 yrs...it left that task to mainly what were smaller burban cities over 60 yrs ago.

I recall when even hoods not too far west of dt, around mid wilshire & Hollywood, were also really shaky too. Ppl forget how LA was in surprisingly poor shape, sort of like a detroit or St Louis with palm trees. I sure don't want to see that happen again.

SaMo and Pasadena's main street also fell into a fairly major recession around the 1960s-1970s & were in bad shape too. But they were never as rundown as what dtla was like.

I was in this part of pasadena a few months ago, however, & it was dead...it made me think the pandemic was still hurting it. If so, how come a city like London...which also got squeezed by covid lockdowns....for the past several months has looked like a boom town?

Video Link

London also doesn't have the large amount of graffiti that's rampant in NYC or the large number of vacant store fronts in manhattan. okay, London may not have super talls, but it does seem to still have a beating heart. Most of its bldgs are not much more than 7-8 floors, but they're historically appealing, not calvantra....or frank gehry....new & cool. Sometimes the tried & true is the best.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 8:31 PM

Good news bad news.

There is finally an update for 845 Olive Street, sadly, the building has been reduced from 29 stories, and 350 feet, to 20 stories, and 227 feet.

The good news is that despite this reduction in height, the building's unit count has risen from 205 apartments to 329, with an additional 36 for very low-income residents. Even better, the number of parking units has dropped from 268 to a phenomenal 14.

As a whole, I'd call this a win, albeit a slightly disappointing one.

https://planning.lacity.org/.../532f...6a9.../esubmit

View from Grand and 9th

View from Olive and 9th

The Original design for reference.

I don't adore the new one, it's a bit too bulky, but it is a fantastic compliment to Gensler's other proposal at 3rd and Spring (https://urbanize.city/la/post/downto...tower-proposal).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 8:48 PM

Honestly, something is better than nothing, and had this been the original proposal we all would have been quite OK with it.

Plus, that block still has a few more surface lots to develop on.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 10:05 PM
Paramoderator

Call me crazy but I like this design more.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 4:04 AM

This was down my list of expectations. I guess that I didn't realize how serious of a project this was given the narrow and odd shaped lot.

Lots to like! 329 units and only 16514 parking spaces. And then the units are small. The "large" 1BR is 468 sq ft. The large 2BR is 708 sq ft. This should be a comparatively economical option in a very desirable part of downtown.

Last edited by Easy; Nov 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2021, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Call me crazy but I like this design more.
I do too.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations