HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Whoa. People are going to live in that thing? They better like trains and highway noise...
It's not just the freeway and the BART station. It's also the Green Yard and Cameron Beach streetcar maintenance facilities.

However, I'm sure the folks living there will be grateful.

I am a little concerned that the plaza and the street improvements apparently are different projects. I fear they may end up not happening.

Then there's my hobby horse of the Balboa Park Plan that took 20 years to get approved only to be abandoned.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
It's not too bad. Could be IG worthy when it's completed.
I think pedestrians react more to animalistic and humanistic sculptures. I've been doing lots of walking tours of different cities on Youtube and those that choose animal or human-like sculptures wins me over.

I was shell-shocked looking at the myriad sculptures lining both downtown streets in, of all places, Sioux Falls, SD! And humor is badly needed to today, some sculptures that might bring a bit smile or laugh. In Medellin, they have Botero sculptures all over the downtown area, and Botero only sculptured and painted obese people. One sculpture: a big fat lady lying on her stomach with her big rear end for all to see!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
I think pedestrians react more to animalistic and humanistic sculptures. I've been doing lots of walking tours of different cities on Youtube and those that choose animal or human-like sculptures wins me over.

I was shell-shocked looking at the myriad sculptures lining both downtown streets in, of all places, Sioux Falls, SD! And humor is badly needed to today, some sculptures that might bring a bit smile or laugh. In Medellin, they have Botero sculptures all over the downtown area, and Botero only sculptured and painted obese people. One sculpture: a big fat lady lying on her stomach with her big rear end for all to see!
They are more bas reliefs than sculptures, but I am often impressed by the art that's a part of underpasses, overpasses, retaining walls and other highway fixtures in southern AZ that (I assume it's) ADOT requires. Also every newer bit of highway infrastructure is decorated.

https://www.google.com/search?rls=en...&bih=901&dpr=1

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 8:31 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

If I'm being honest some of that concrete form art really borders on tacky.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Nov 13, 2021, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
If I'm being honest some of that concrete form art really borders on tacky.
A matter of taste I guess, but I like it and it's 1000% better than blank concrete. The inspiration, of course, is Native American petroglyphs.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Last edited by Pedestrian; Nov 13, 2021 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 6:07 AM

LIVING NEXT TO A FREEWAY OR OTHER NOISY ENVIRONMENT -

1) My neighbor moved from the Fox Plaza & moved into a condo on the 25 floor of the Rincon next to the freeway. I have no problem with noise when visited, but the constant stream of car lights at night was unbearable.
2) The Fox Plaza windows (one wall is all glass!) are single panes. Crazy people screaming in the night (and day), police, ambulance, fire truck, and yes the distinctive sound of the bomb truck siren! In 50 years I have learned to recognize each one. Being across the street from the auditorium the bass sound from the rock bands can be a nuisance. BUT, unlike living next to a freeway the air is not much of a problem as there is much less traffic & the prevailing wind keeps the air clean in the Hayes Valley. Now that cars are not allowed on Market St. past the building a bit more quiet.
3) And the sound of the construction of high rise buildings in the neighborhood for the entertainment of the "skyscraper.com" folks! (:------))

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 6:46 AM

Yes, living in AZ I've noticed the art work along freeways, but that's for car drivers enjoyment. We need to have more sculpture/art work for pedestrians.
I only get on the freeway once a year.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Yes, living in AZ I've noticed the art work along freeways, but that's for car drivers enjoyment. We need to have more sculpture/art work for pedestrians.
I only get on the freeway once a year.
In Tucson??? Seems impossible to this snowbird but probably not the place to discuss it.

Anyway, a lot of cities seem to be stretching their "public art" and compared to those fungal spores SF is putting up in the BRT dividers, I like what AZ is doing--and I look at them both roughly half the year.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2021, 7:37 PM

A bit of mediocre/minor infill but where such is needed:

Quote:
Permits Filed For 5012 3rd Street, Bayview, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON NOVEMBER 14, 2021

New building permits have been filed for a mixed-use project at 5012 3rd Street in San Francisco’s Bayview neighborhood. The proposal would add 29 new dwelling units to the city’s housing market, including some affordable units. TC Studio is the project architect.

The 69-foot tall structure will yield 25,400 square feet with 18,570 square feet dedicated to residential use and 700 square feet for ground-level commercial retail. Parking will be included for 31 bicycles and no vehicles, in a decision that will allow cheaper construction, lower residents’ carbon footprint, and promote public transportation.

Of the 29 apartments, nine will be priced as affordable housing. Planning documents suggest the development will offer the residences for ownership. Unit sizes will range between 400 and 1,000 square feet each with eight studios, eight one-bedroom, ten two-bedroom, and three three-bedroom units.

The property is located along the 3rd Street commercial thoroughfare between Quesada Avenue, Revere Avenue, and Bayview Street. The location is rich with transit, including the KT light rail line.

While previous project applications estimate construction will cost $2 million, the latest building permit ballparks construction will cost $5 million, a more realistic estimate of $172,420 per unit. An estimated timeline for completion has not yet been established.

Phillip Chen, a Peninsula resident and not the Southern Californian State Assemblyman, is listed as the property owner, and C J Construction is listed as the project contact.

https://sfyimby.com/2021/11/permits-...francisco.html

Nice to see the orange trend is still with us. Also nice to note that in doing the rendering, the artist did not guild this lilly by failing to including some trash and litter in the median and on the sidewalks.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 7:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
A matter of taste I guess, but I like it and it's 1000% better than blank concrete. The inspiration, of course, is Native American petroglyphs.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
I think they're cool. Better than bare concrete.

These crowd snatch and grab robberies of stores are becoming widespread. L.A., S.D., S.F. Union Square, Walnut Creek, St. Louis.... What can be done? On the T.V. news it said that lower sentences in jail for amounts under a $1000 may be contributing. Some aren't even prosecuted, and most get away. The targets are coordinated on social media apparently. I guess with so many poor living close to so much wealth, difficult to stop. I guess the stores could hire more guards.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:31 AM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Thanks doc, will check out the thread. Try to read all your covid posts too. I'm worried about the holidays, but the Pfizer therapeutic looks hopeful. And the vaccine should keep most secondary infections with boost from getting too bad.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 7:06 PM

I'm visiting SF for the holiday, and took a long bike ride yesterday basically around the perimeter of the city along the water. I could not get over how impressive the Mission Bay redevelopment is. It's like a whole new neighborhood built from scratch, seamlessly integrating a huge arena and the UCSF campus. I'm extremely impressed with the scale and quality of the development. The bike lanes, green spaces, connection to the bay, transit...all just first rate.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 7:14 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I'm visiting SF for the holiday, and took a long bike ride yesterday basically around the perimeter of the city along the water. I could not get over how impressive the Mission Bay redevelopment is. It's like a whole new neighborhood built from scratch, seamlessly integrating a huge arena and the UCSF campus. I'm extremely impressed with the scale and quality of the development. The bike lanes, green spaces, connection to the bay, transit...all just first rate.
Thanks for the love! Not sure if you're staying in that area, but I would recommend checking out the following:
Crane Cove Park
Neighbor Bakehouse
Long Bridge Pizza
Spark Social

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Glad you appreciate it however some of us (me) would have wished at least some of it was taller which it might have been had not it been squashed by former State Senator Phil Burton on behalf of the dwellers of Potrero Hill who were concerned about their views of the Bay. It now seems this may be a bit rectified by the Mission Rock project which is essentially an annex of Mission Bay.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 6:04 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
New Renderings Revealed For 2,387-Home Freedom West Proposal, Fillmore District, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON NOVEMBER 30, 2021

New renderings have been revealed along with updated planning documents for Freedom West, a multi-billion dollar project to build 2,387 new residential units in San Francisco’s Fillmore District. The development will offer replacement housing for all displaced residents while adding a new hotel, retail, community spaces, and new open space. MacFarlane Development Company is responsible for the application.

The Freedom West Development will create 14 new buildings across the 10.8-acre site rising between 4 to 33 floors high. The tallest building, to be finished in phase two, will rise 345 feet high. At build-out, MacFarlane Dev. Co. hopes to see over 2.5 million square feet of residential floor area, 100,000 square feet for the 150-room hotel, 60,630 square feet for commercial retail, 8,860 square feet for Cultural/Institutional/Educational tenants, and 221,920 square feet of usable open space.

An estimated 625,000 square feet will become vehicular parking, adding 1,464 vehicles to the city. Parking will also be included for 1,561 bicycles. This is an improvement from previous parking plans to hold 1,854 cars and 1,269 bicycles.

Of the 2,387 total units, 1,790 will be market-rate housing, and 597 units will be affordable. That includes the 382 replacement condominiums for existing residents. The property is owned by the Freedom West Homes Corporation, a non-profit housing co-op. The Freedom West Homes Corporation is joined by the project sponsor MacFarlane Partners and Avanath Capital Management as the Freedom West 2.0 joint development team.

https://sfyimby.com/2021/11/new-rend...francisco.html

Old Posted Nov 30, 2021, 6:19 PM

^^Freedom West has a thread. I'm going to post this info there including the renderings that are actually new: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=244460

Old Posted Dec 4, 2021, 1:39 AM

Salesforce Park

Pretty dead during lunch time. So different from when I worked around here in 2018

--

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 8:00 AM
dazzle me

^ Citizen M, thank god that ugly lot is finally replaced with something interesting. An awesome scheme these guys were running for a while, killed by the pandemic: borrow at almost nothing to build out a hotel empire with locations in every major city. They got their DTLA one up but, alas, the Hollywood one didn't get started in time, and now appears to be dead. Sad!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 4:44 PM
你的媽媽

Nice project here. SF could use more of these in its outer neighborhoods. I wonder if there's going to be any significant opposition from the owners of these multimillion dollar homes.

How it looks currently:
https://goo.gl/maps/S6qW2QPXrNYHqebU9

Quote:
New Renderings Revealed For 2550 Irving Street, Sunset District, San Francisco

BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON DECEMBER 8, 2021

New renderings have been published, giving a more detailed view of the proposed future of 2550 Irving Street in San Francisco. The proposal will be a rare mid-rise residential addition to the Sunset District. The affordable housing non-profit, Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation is responsible for the application.

If built, 2550 Irving Street, the project will add 90 new affordable family rental housing units to a neighborhood without many new housing units. This is a reduction from plans first covered by SFYIMBY in June, which consisted of 98 units.

The 73-foot tall structure will yield over 113,000 square feet with 102,520 square feet for residential use, 4,620 square feet for the 18-car garage with stackers, and 5,950 square feet for usable open space. Storage will also be included for 90 bicycles.

Unit sizes will range from studios to three-bedroom, with more than half of the units offering two or three bedrooms. Units are expected to be offered as rentals. There will be nine studios, 34 one-bedroom units, 23 two-bedroom units, and 24 three-bedroom units.

https://sfyimby.com/2021/12/new-rend...francisco.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations