HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 2:08 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
Additionally, I am a HUGE fan of the new parking system they have installed at Chinook at their various enclosed parking areas. For those who haven't seen it there are little cameras above each stall. When a car is in the stall the light above it is red, when the stall is empty the light is green. It certainly makes the process much easier.
I love the new parkade, especially because almost NO ONE goes to the lower level, so you can park right next to the elevators even on a busy Saturday. The camera system is a great idea but isn't working well yet. It shows a lot of green lights for occupied spots; my guess is that when a car pulls forward too far, the system thinks there's no vehicle there. Seems to be the case every time I see a green occupied spot.

Also, they have blue lights for handicapped spots - absolutely brilliant as I occasionally find handicapped signage to be misleading.

Now if only they could get rid of those silly baby stroller spots. I'm always tempted to park in them and claim the g/f is "expecting". Maybe she just got pregnant 3 weeks ago, and the rules say "expectant mothers"...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 2:09 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Just how early do people shop for Christmas nowadays??
You're more likely seeing the opposite. As much as it seems like stores are packed with Xmas stuff early on, it's really just a small amount compared to the deluge to come. Stores don't really stock up on Xmas until December.

Personally, what little I do buy for the season, I buy in the spring/summer. Save money, save time, save aggravation.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:14 AM

Lowes had a lot of Christmas stuff out at the beginning of October! There's something so wrong with that. Out of respect for our Veterans, retailers should not do any Christmas related merchandising until after Remembrance Day!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Additionally, I am a HUGE fan of the new parking system they have installed at Chinook at their various enclosed parking areas. For those who haven't seen it there are little cameras above each stall. When a car is in the stall the light above it is red, when the stall is empty the light is green. It certainly makes the process much easier.
I parked at the Telus convention centre a couple weeks ago and noticed they'd installed the same thing. It wasn't there when I parked there a few weeks earlier.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 3:37 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
I went up to Crossiron Mills at 11AM this morning, and it was a ZOO! I can't even imagine it during the evenings or weekend. It was the first time I have gone up there. We went Christmas tree shopping at Lowes (you know, the traditional way ) and it was also amazingly busy. It's a nice store, though, good selection of Christmas stuff... but they were almost sold out of everything. Just how early do people shop for Christmas nowadays??
My parents live in South Carolina, and that's where they buy their Christmas tree as well. you are not alone!
I believe they ship them down from North Carolina since they actually have some elevation/cooler climate to grow them (SC does but its on the NC border lol).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 4:11 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
On another note with regard to the Chinook expansion. I finally had the opportunity to to check it out and walk around a bit. They have done a really great job, it's nice an bright that is for sure. I always remember the Chinook Centre of my childhood, what a dark mess that was. The strange way that one level just ended and you had to take an escalator to the next. Malls sure have come a long way.

Like this?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 4:12 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
I love the new parkade, especially because almost NO ONE goes to the lower level, so you can park right next to the elevators even on a busy Saturday. The camera system is a great idea but isn't working well yet. It shows a lot of green lights for occupied spots; my guess is that when a car pulls forward too far, the system thinks there's no vehicle there. Seems to be the case every time I see a green occupied spot.

Also, they have blue lights for handicapped spots - absolutely brilliant as I occasionally find handicapped signage to be misleading.

Now if only they could get rid of those silly baby stroller spots. I'm always tempted to park in them and claim the g/f is "expecting". Maybe she just got pregnant 3 weeks ago, and the rules say "expectant mothers"...
Is the camera and light on the same post? The ones at the convention center (posted above) have a sensor in the middle of the stall, but then the indicator light is at the end.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:01 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Lowes had a lot of Christmas stuff out at the beginning of October! There's something so wrong with that. Out of respect for our Veterans, retailers should not do any Christmas related merchandising until after Remembrance Day!
Yeah, my grandpa used to tell me stories about fighting the good fight to preserve our right to only sell Xmas stuff in December. Those damn Nazis, trying to sell it in July.

I've always been highly amused at people who get offended about Xmas stuff going on sale early. Year-round Xmas stores must make them go apoplectic.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:20 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Is the camera and light on the same post? The ones at the convention center (posted above) have a sensor in the middle of the stall, but then the indicator light is at the end.
The former. Not sure if this makes it worse.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:31 AM

I finally got around to going to the new part of Chinook, and it is very impressive inside. Good selection of stores and nice open design. Too bad they didn't spend a little more on the exterior - it looks like shit!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 5:37 AM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yeah, my grandpa used to tell me stories about fighting the good fight to preserve our right to only sell Xmas stuff in December. Those damn Nazis, trying to sell it in July.

I've always been highly amused at people who get offended about Xmas stuff going on sale early. Year-round Xmas stores must make them go apoplectic.
Selling stuff early doesn't make me as mad as people giving up on everything Christmas (getting rid of the tree, etc) on Boxing Day, or a few days after Christmas. The Christmas season lasts until January 5! Most outdoor Christmas light displays are turned off by New Years Day. I leave mine on until March to compensate!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Costco starts with some stuff in august - winners starts in september next to the halloween they put out in august

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
I finally got around to going to the new part of Chinook, and it is very impressive inside. Good selection of stores and nice open design. Too bad they didn't spend a little more on the exterior - it looks like shit!
'

Agreed re: exterior!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 8:29 PM
Realtor

Five Guys opened this morning.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 9:38 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

wherewherewherewhere

Old Posted Nov 16, 2010, 10:59 PM
Realtor

Deerfoot Meadows beside Petland.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 7:37 AM

order a little one the regulars are too big for me

I heard Stuart Weitzman opened in Chinook - hows the store look? its pretty high end

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonb View Post
I parked at the Telus convention centre a couple weeks ago and noticed they'd installed the same thing. It wasn't there when I parked there a few weeks earlier.

I took this in June on the first level of the Convention Centre parkade. They must have still been installing then into the lower levels.

SSP y u no let me have image here

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
order a little one the regulars are too big for me

I heard Stuart Weitzman opened in Chinook - hows the store look? its pretty high end
I must try Five Guys burgers...

The Chinook location of Stuart Weitzman looks pretty much like the Montreal shop (the pic you posted in the Vancouver thread.)

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus15 View Post
I must try Five Guys burgers...

The Chinook location of Stuart Weitzman looks pretty much like the Montreal shop (the pic you posted in the Vancouver thread.)
I was checking out their menu on their web site and noticed the nutritional information. Those are some pretty hefty calorie counts. Makes McDonalds look like diet food.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy