HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 6:10 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
From the article: "He hopes to start construction on Fourth & Central within two years and complete it in phases over the following five to seven years."
Thanks! Isn't there another major development planned (high-rises) for near Union Station? Imagine them both happening

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headcheckjj View Post
How does that make it any more promising? That's how they all do it.
Oh I read that they had were funding the development/had funding ready vs. looking for financing from a bank.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
a

Designed by one of the best firms working in Southern California (Studio One Eleven) and one of the best firms working in the world (David Adjaye & Associates). I really hope this happens.

I'm loving this tower design. A nice little cluster is starting to form in the arts district.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 12:19 AM

Whoa, you love to see it, this project would be more than enough of a catalyst to get the Arts District popping off, there is cause for skepticism and doubt however, 6am is equally as ambitious. Feel free to prove me wrong, I want to be proven wrong.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 12:33 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Whoa, you love to see it, this project would be more than enough of a catalyst to get the Arts District popping off, there is cause for skepticism and doubt however, 6am is equally as ambitious. Feel free to prove me wrong, I want to be proven wrong.
Which is... ?

6am is over 10+ years away though, the arts district and LA in general is long overdo for both of these.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Which is... ?
Proximity to skid row.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Proximity to skid row.
That and lack of a subway stop *in* the Arts District. Though the WSAB line or the Purple/Red line extension should fix that eventually.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 1:57 AM

Lightbulb

There's been a recent push to do something about skid row. Its interesting how this comes out less than a week after a federal judge gave LA 6-9 months to do something with the people in skid row, I wonder if he's connected to the developer some how.

Nevertheless, I think we're hitting that point where skid row isn't going to be allowed to be the "dirty wall" between the Arts district and the rest of downtown. What was scary for Baby Boomers and Gen Xers isn't nearly or remotely as scary for Millennials and Gen Zers in regards to where we live. Skid row scared away our parents and grandparents while we got fashion tips and inspiration

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuFFy View Post
1.5 - 2 billion project proposed in the arts district to include a residential skyscraper and 10 buildings.

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...-arts-district
No way! This came out of nowhere!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Thanks! Isn't there another major development planned (high-rises) for near Union Station? Imagine them both happening
There's also the new towers of the Civic Center as well. Maybe 5 or 6?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
There's been a recent push to do something about skid row. Its interesting how this comes out less than a week after a federal judge gave LA 6-9 months to do something with the people in skid row, I wonder if he's connected to the developer some how.

Nevertheless, I think we're hitting that point where skid row isn't going to be allowed to be the "dirty wall" between the Arts district and the rest of downtown. What was scary for Baby Boomers and Gen Xers isn't nearly or remotely as scary for Millennials and Gen Zers in regards to where we live. Skid row scared away our parents and grandparents while we got fashion tips and inspiration
Reddit said some of skid row has been cleaned up lately. Like on 7th. I haven't seen it myself to confirm.

That said, there are clean ups going on in the city.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAisthePlace View Post
That and lack of a subway stop *in* the Arts District. Though the WSAB line or the Purple/Red line extension should fix that eventually.
The Little Tokyo stop is already closer to this project (0.4 miles) than either the planned B/D 6th street stop (0.6 miles) or WSAB (0.7 miles). But point taken. The Arts District will be well situated for transit once the planned stops open.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Reddit said some of skid row has been cleaned up lately. Like on 7th. I haven't seen it myself to confirm.

That said, there are clean ups going on in the city.
The city can't legally clean it up until at least October and that's only if they are able to offer lodging to everyone. There is periodic cleaning where tents move temporarily and the street/sidewalks are washed, but I don't think that's what's meant.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 5:17 AM

Eli Broad has died. He was instrumental in the transformation of Grand Ave and helped usher LA into becoming a cultural capital. Big shoes to fill for the rest of LA's philanthropists.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/30/us/el...ary/index.html

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Eli Broad has died. He was instrumental in the transformation of Grand Ave and helped usher LA into becoming a cultural capital. Big shoes to fill for the rest of LA's philanthropists.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/30/us/el...ary/index.html
Sad to hear that. He was a great supporter of the arts in L.A. and a great philanthropist in general. Rest in peace Eli. You will be missed. Hopefully someone will step forward to take your place.
----
I'm sure Mr. Broad would love this new Arts District project. Fantastic looking! Combine that with a revitalization of the nearby river, and a continuing cleanup of "skid row" and housing for homeless, and L.A. could be the kinder, gentler, greater city it deserves to be in time for the Olympics. Hopefully L.A. will get its fair share of all the infrastructure spending that is being proposed to get things moving along in public transportation, affordable housing, utility improvements, etc. Our politicians need to fight for this money when it is made available. Other cities will if we don't.

DTLA has made tremendous strides in the last decade, but still there is much to do. Eli Broad would agree.

Last edited by CaliNative; May 1, 2021 at 9:28 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2021, 10:15 AM

Shake Shack is the first to open at Halo in Wells Fargo Center

Plenty of tables, chairs and umbrellas will be set up outside around the plaza and there's even seating on the Hope Street side above the street with nice views. I was quite impressed after taking a tour. There are bathrooms in the mix too.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 5:21 PM

I am sure Eric Garcetti would be a great ambassador but this would be a big loss for Los Angeles.

https://mobile.twitter.com/axios/sta...ive-Digest-5-5

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I am sure Eric Garcetti would be a great ambassador but this would be a big loss for Los Angeles.

https://mobile.twitter.com/axios/sta...ive-Digest-5-5
Eric Garcetti's term is up next year and he is term limited.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 5:43 PM

Sorry, i dont think it would be a loss at all. He has been ATROCIOUS in regards to the main issue in LA, and thats homelessness. Regardless, he is termed out and will be out by next year at the latest

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Sorry, i dont think it would be a loss at all. He has been ATROCIOUS in regards to the main issue in LA, and thats homelessness. Regardless, he is termed out and will be out by next year at the latest
Certainly, many homeless are suffering from addiction and mental illness. California's housing is simply unaffordable for many residents, however, and Eric Garcetti seems like he has done a good job encouraging more housing in Los Angeles.

California’s housing market smashed another record. Here’s how much it costs to buy a home
https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...250907379.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations