HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 11:51 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Is Codiac Transit expanding it's service to Halifax anytime soon? I believe there is demand for it here.

I feel your pain but Codiac Transit only has about 50 busses. I don't think that would make a dent in your situation, sorry....

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 12:23 PM
real estate blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Yes, the Moncton subforum would be listed on the top bar of the Atlantic Canada section of SSP, right below the Halifax SSP Local.

A subforum is not as complicated as a full SSP Local, but it would allow multiple individual threads dedicated to specific topics. It would essentially provide for a filing system for all topics of interest in greater Moncton.

If you want to see the difference between an SSP Local and a subforum, compare the difference between the sections for Halifax and Edmonton. I don't have any interest in a full SSP Local; it's too cumbersome and it can be difficult to find topics of interest. A subforum on the other hand has a cleaner interface.

I would envisage a Moncton subforum covering all of southeastern NB, even Shediac and Sackville. Individual threads could be community or neighbourhood based, or could deal with specific topics (politics, transportation, retail) or in special cases, with particularly large projects, I could see threads being devoted to a single cause (for example the downtown events centre).

Anyone could create a new thread in the Moncton subforum, just as in the same way as individual members can create new threads in the Atlantic Canada section.

The main reasons to do this as far as I'm concerned are to:
1- have a better filing system so that it is easier to find previous posts of interest.
2- have better continuity of discussions on individual topics (without the conversation being disrupted by several pages of unrelated posts)
3- Increase the "shelf life" of the forum. The current Moncton thread is about to be retired after 5 years and 10,000 posts. The Halifax SSP Local however is still going strong after more than 40,000 posts. I would like to see a Moncton forum with greater longevity. A subforum would allow us to do this as it would take considerably longer for individual threads in the subforum to reach the 10,000 post limit.
My comment in favour of a (full?) SSP: Local Moncton form layout is that Moncton would appear in the Forum Jump box selction under Canada: Atlantic Provinces. Currently only SSP: Local Halifax appears there. Also a SSP: Local Moncton layout would show a box titled "The 10 Latest Active Threads - or view New Posts since your last visit". (jump to SSP: Local Halifax and then to Edmonton to see the difference)

Last edited by monctonian; Mar 8, 2012 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 1:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monctonian View Post
My comment in favour of a (full?) SSP: Local Moncton form layout is that Moncton would appear in the Forum Jump box selction under Canada: Atlantic Provinces. Currently only SSP: Local Halifax appears there. Also a SSP: Local Moncton layout would show a box titled "The 10 Latest Active Threads - or view New Posts since your last visit". (jump to SSP: Local Halifax and the to Edmonton to see the difference)
Actually I believe that Moncton would still show up in the Forum Jump Box under Canada:Atlantic Provinces. Edmonton shows up in the BC/Alberta Jump Box even though it is a subforum and not a full SSP Local.

Your other points are well taken though and I will mark your preference as being for a full SSP Local.

The current poll results therefore are:
- full SSP Local - 1
- subforum - 11
- new thread - 0
- on the fence - 3

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 4:54 PM

My vote goes for a subforum too!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 5:27 PM

I'm in favour of a Moncton subforum.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 6:30 PM

Full SSP definitely has it's advantages...hmmm, on the fence for me...I like both.

I like the sub-forum...but I like the features of the full SSP. (last ten, etc.)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 7:28 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Is Codiac Transit expanding it's service to Halifax anytime soon? I believe there is demand for it here.
No, we need them to do intercity routes to the rest of NB first. There's a demand for that too.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
No, we need them to do intercity routes to the rest of NB first. There's a demand for that too.
Don't worry, Acadian and the Striking Workers are going to go back to the bargaining table....

On APRIL 29th.

I really hope that guy on PEI can get his van line service set up and running; it's high time we kicked Orlean's out of the region. It's obvious they don't want to be here anyways, so why not let someone else take over?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:00 PM

Gmia

Tomorrow officials at the Greater Moncton International Airport will be celebrating the first direct cargo flight to Germany. Representatives
from Cargojet will be at the airport tomorrow for a official signing.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 10:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I will repost this in the Atlantic Canada Airport Thread

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 11:16 PM

The offices of Purolator Inc. are moving from Highfield Square and the Terminal Buildings. As of September, about 300 employees will be relocated to 140 Champlain St (the old Jean Coutu Building).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 11:53 PM

AWESOME NEWS for GMIA!!! thanks for keeping us informed, are there any approximate times of this happening ?

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 2:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

from CBC

Canada to Host China in pre-Olympic Contest in Moncton

The Canadian women's soccer team will host China in Moncton, N.B., in a friendly as part of its preparations for the 2012 London Olympics.

The game between the seventh-ranked Canadians and No. 18 China will be played May 30 at Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium.

Canadian coach John Herdman said the game is an important part of his plan to ensure the team plays the right amount of games against a decent level of opposition heading into London.

"We will look at making the most out of any opportunity to continue our work towards the Olympic podium," Herdman said Thursday in a release.

Canada will also face Brazil in a friendly on March 24 in Boston, and Sweden on March 31 in Malmo, Sweden.

The Canadian women dropped a 2-0 decision to France in the final of the Cyprus Cup last Tuesday.

personal note - that sounds about right...Malmo, Boston, Moncton

Seriously, this is very good news and may be a good omen for Moncton with the decision about the Women's World Cup of Soccer coming up in the next few months....

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 12:10 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Can we PLEASE rename the stadium though!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Can we PLEASE rename the stadium though!
Stade Ian Fowler Stadium? since he was instrumental in getting different events into this city...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 12:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrew79 View Post
Stade Ian Fowler Stadium? since he was instrumental in getting different events into this city...
I would heartily second this motion but I'm not sure l'Universite de Moncton would be prepared to go along with it......

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrew79 View Post
I'm just an outsider, but it might be better to try and get his name on the Downtown Convention Centre when it's greenlit finally, since it would have been the events he was instrumental in that got Moncton on the map to the point to make that centre worthwhile. But the Corporate Sponsers might have an issue with that.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 2:56 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I just think Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium sounds awful. Frankly, I'm not crazy about what anything sounds like if you preface it with Stade. It just ends too abruptly and makes the whole name feel awkward. Throwing in the year it was opened is silly, too.

Terrain Moncton Field, or Espace Moncton Place, Parc Sunnybrae Park, CEPS Field...something!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I just think Stade Moncton 2010 Stadium sounds awful. Frankly, I'm not crazy about what anything sounds like if you preface it with Stade. It just ends too abruptly and makes the whole name feel awkward. Throwing in the year it was opened is silly, too.

Terrain Moncton Field, or Espace Moncton Place, Parc Sunnybrae Park, CEPS Field...something!
Yep, totally agree. I guess UdeM didn't want to pay the cash to get a few extra letters done up on the signage. Dont'cha think "UdeM Stadium - Stade UdeM" would look more natural? You get to keep the ever-mandatory bilingualism aspect and get rid of the goofy year/awkward hybridized combined name.

But I guess being a French university, they'd INSIST that the French wording be placed IN FRONT of the English wording since "C'est la façon que ca doit être" ("That's the way it's got to be"). *sigh*

I'll quit now before any flamewars get started.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 4:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It is a French university and it is a "stadium", so I can't imagine being able to get rid of the "Stade" in front of the name. As far as the name itself is concerned, it would have to be something milquetoast or linguistically neutral and I don't think naming it after an anglophone municipal civil servant (no matter how much he is revered) would be acceptable to the university.

Perhaps we can get a corporate sponsor for the stadium and sell the naming rights......

Something like Stade Moncton Molson Stadium flows a little more trippingly off the tongue than the current name.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces