HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
That was a whole lot of awesome. Thanks for posting that.
i saw it in the theatre - they never mentioned a city other than saying someone was an engineer in "canada" and they used shots of vancouver at one point and than be back in Calgary -

anyway the stars hollywood equivalents would be like Jennifer Anniston and Brad Pitt in terms of how huge they are in the Bollywood circles

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 7:18 PM
Fake News

Haha! I saw the part filmed in WestEd on the boat on Ch. 4

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 6:05 AM
Inflatable Hippo

I had an altercation with some security guards a few million years ago when I accidentally wandered onto the set of something featuring the Olsen Twins being filmed on the Plus 15 or atrium level of the Nexen Building (then Nova building)

I also encountered a woman claiming to be a location scout a few months ago snooping around near my house while I was walking my dog. Wasn't to talkative but presented a business card, had a rental car nearby and was taking pictures and had a $8000 HD camera around her neck.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 6:12 AM
Booooring!

Comeback Season starring Ray Liotta was shot here, hell, the police cars are blatant CPS.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455400/

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 8:41 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Looks like it's true, filming for the movie "Inception" will be done in Kananaskis.

Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1375666/
Saw the trailer for this last night at Sherlock Holmes:

http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/inception/trailer

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 5:16 AM

Back in 1972, Hollywood filmed "Prime Cut" starring Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman in Calgary (with Calgary standing in for, what else is new, Kansas City).

I remember there's one long shot of the area near Memorial Drive just west of the Centre Street Bridge which unmistakenly featured the Calgary Tower in the background of it...even in 1972, when it was much smaller and less well developed, Calgary was no Kansas City lookalike but when has that ever stopped Hollywood before?

HT

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 3:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMahon View Post
There's a scene in Cool Runnings where they're training and they run across a suspension bridge. I'm just going by my own guess here, but it looks very much to me like it's the suspension bridge at Sandy Beach. There's also (yet another) bar fight scene at a cowboy bar, which I seem to recall reading was filmed at Ranchman's.
If you ever drive past Ranchmans, look on the right side of the building, there is a mini Jamaican bobsled that is hanging over the enterence.

Also... was just talking to my Brother about movies shot in CGY. Exit Wounds with Segal, shots on the Centre St Bridge, etc.

Another.. tv show Anyone remember Viper? They used to shoot that show around town about a group of crime fighters who used a Dodge Viper that transformed into an armored car

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 4:12 AM

Superman 3...

Some of Superman 3 was shot in Calgary... and High River was Smallville

I remember my dad telling me about watching them film the scene where Richard Pryor skis down the building from his office downtown.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl69 View Post

Another.. tv show Anyone remember Viper? They used to shoot that show around town about a group of crime fighters who used a Dodge Viper that transformed into an armored car
Never watched Viper but I do remember it. A friend of a friend played a bad guy on the show. If my very poor memory serves me correctly, I think there was some issue about the Vipers that were used on the show being illegally resold.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 4:25 AM

Quote:
If you ever drive past Ranchmans, look on the right side of the building, there is a mini Jamaican bobsled that is hanging over the enterence.

Also... was just talking to my Brother about movies shot in CGY. Exit Wounds with Segal, shots on the Centre St Bridge, etc.

after the filmed they had to re surface the bridge becuase the explosions they used wrecked the asphalt .

Old Posted Dec 28, 2009, 8:23 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Never watched Viper but I do remember it. A friend of a friend played a bad guy on the show. If my very poor memory serves me correctly, I think there was some issue about the Vipers that were used on the show being illegally resold.
That happens all the time with prop cars, just these guys were not smart enough to export them overseas. However the VIN number is a dead giveaway come registration and insurance.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensley View Post
Some of Superman 3 was shot in Calgary... and High River was Smallville

I remember my dad telling me about watching them film the scene where Richard Pryor skis down the building from his office downtown.
All three superman movies had scenes filmed in Calgary.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 6:11 PM

There was another TV series called Stingray (Nick Mancuso) that was filmed in Calgary. Calgary doubled for LA in that series.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 10:39 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^How does Calgary double for LA?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 10:51 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 2:27 AM
Watchin em grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
^How does Calgary double for LA?
The Don Johnson movie Dead Bang had Bowness stand in for LA

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 2:36 AM

The cheesy made-for-TV movie 'Santa Baby' was filmed in Calgary too (with Jenny McCarthy and Ivan Sergei). It was on the other night, and didn't know what city it was shot in until I saw Bow Valley Square screaming at me. The office shots were taken in either SECW, or Fifth Ave Place East, the cameras were moving too quickly for me to figure it out. There were lots of mountain scenes too, but I couldn't figure out exactly where they were (although I wasn't paying too much attention either).

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 6:24 AM
GO FLAMES GO

About 10 years ago I ran into the set of Honey I shrunk the Kids down at the west end of Fish Creek park on my mountain bike, didn't recognize anyone... a women told me it was the television series.... have never seen or heard of it since then....

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamps View Post
About 10 years ago I ran into the set of Honey I shrunk the Kids down at the west end of Fish Creek park on my mountain bike, didn't recognize anyone... a women told me it was the television series.... have never seen or heard of it since then....
Aired 1997-2000 on CBC.

Just did a quick search on IMDB, theres 392 movies, tv series or individual episodes of shows that list Calgary as a filming location. And thats no where near a comprehensive list as some list really specific locations rather then just Calgary in general.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 7:26 AM
Original Member since '99

and if you go in ranchmans they guys helmets are in the rafters, same with the saddle from 8 seconds and the boblsed... another movie that was partially filmed here was all gone pete tong. same guys from fubar and same doctor!

and on a side note the train scene was filmed on our tracks between drumheller and wayne, as well as rosebud. Some of the guys i work with crewed the locomotive and the cars.
sadly that line is now abandoned

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation