HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 6:35 PM

Even at the compromise height this is going to look very tall due to prominence of the site. It's raised quite a bit over Bayview. I really hope the final build is as interesting as the drawings, because this will really stand out from Centretown/Lebreton/Bayview.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 7:26 PM

^ Agreed. Although I would've liked to see it in a more prominant spot (Rideau, King Edward, Bank) this is a good mixed spot for it because

a) Close enough to Downtown so it doesn't look "lost" or in the middle of nowhere (a-la Metropole).

b) "Far" enough to stand out (in a positive way, since it LOOKS like it will be nice).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 7:56 PM

I just don't understand why we have so many high quality proposals in the old west end and along the O-Train track while we keep seeing poor quality proposals in the Rideau-Market area.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I just don't understand why we have so many high quality proposals in the old west end and along the O-Train track while we keep seeing poor quality proposals in the Rideau-Market area.
I agree. This isn’t a NIMBY thing, but I would like for this city to resemble a pyramid in terms of height and density. In a perfect world, we should build the heck out of all of downtown (say Bronson to King Edward, Ottawa river to the Queensway) then move out to near-downtown areas like Chinatown, Little Italy, Vanier on a sliding scale

(For the record, I'm just an amatuer enthusiast, so there's probably some scientific reason why this isn't happening)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim613 View Post
I agree. This isn’t a NIMBY thing, but I would like for this city to resemble a pyramid in terms of height and density. In a perfect world, we should build the heck out of all of downtown (say Bronson to King Edward, Ottawa river to the Queensway) then move out to near-downtown areas like Chinatown, Little Italy, Vanier on a sliding scale

(For the record, I'm just an amatuer enthusiast, so there's probably some scientific reason why this isn't happening)
Yup, height restrictions based on Parliamentary view planes. Somewhat agree with your statement none the less. A few key lots around downtown could push for a bit more height (4 parking lots on the west side of the CBD should push to 350-400 feet, Catherine/Queensway area, future Rideau Centre hotel on Nicholas, Arts Court...) for a bit of variation in the skyline.

A few tall buildings are acceptable along metro lines outside downtown, but not in well established low-mid rise neighborhoods.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 5:32 PM

I thought I might share what the buildings at this height might look like for the area on OSM. The shapes aren't exact, but it's more to given an idea of what to expect.

Open Street Map

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
I thought I might share what the buildings at this height might look like for the area on OSM. The shapes aren't exact, but it's more to given an idea of what to expect.

Open Street Map
Super cool job defishel. Have you ever used Sketchup? Seems like a similar program to this. It would be cool if you had time (I wish I did) to add the 801 Albert St project to this view as well.

It will be a very different place if all of this gets built. Which is great news for the Bayview Yards area. The station will finally go from something in the middle of 'no-where' to one in a dense area.

801 Albert St page
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164924

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Super cool job defishel. Have you ever used Sketchup? Seems like a similar program to this. It would be cool if you had time (I wish I did) to add the 801 Albert St project to this view as well.

It will be a very different place if all of this gets built. Which is great news for the Bayview Yards area. The station will finally go from something in the middle of 'no-where' to one in a dense area.

801 Albert St page
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164924
I have used sketchup, though I've only done very basic. I can try to add it, though it'll be harder because there's only the plot of land (Open Street Map uses Bing Maps where I can just draw the outline and say how many stories).

I agree with that. With Domicile's 12 storey on Somerset by City Centre, plus 1040/ 1050 Somerset, the 9 storey on Bayswater/Somerset and 801 Albert will be unrecognizable!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:15 PM

Any news on this one? Seems like no new project has been launched in FOREVER! Looking for a new pre-build condo but what is left out there isn't for me... Sigh...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Any news on this one? Seems like no new project has been launched in FOREVER! Looking for a new pre-build condo but what is left out there isn't for me... Sigh...
have you checked out Tamarack Wellington?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenson View Post
have you checked out Tamarack Wellington?
Tamarack Wellington, while very boring looking, seems to have some pretty good floor plans and are fairly priced. But has zero amenities (when they come in 2020 they will double the maintenance fees), awful views and OK location but not great (I have friends who live across the street who are constantly complaining about strange people in the area and loud noises from buses).

I am in the same position where I want a pre-build condo but so far can find nothing. Nuovo peaked my interest but the views again are pretty awful with all the buildings around it, and they are no where near their sales point to build on time.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 8:01 PM

Tamarack Wellington is too expensive... Condos left are mostly between 310-315K for a 1 bedroom without parking.

I'm looking more in lower 200's + 35K parking for total of mid/high 200's (250-280)

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
Tamarack Wellington, while very boring looking, seems to have some pretty good floor plans and are fairly priced. But has zero amenities (when they come in 2020 they will double the maintenance fees), awful views and OK location but not great (I have friends who live across the street who are constantly complaining about strange people in the area and loud noises from buses).

I am in the same position where I want a pre-build condo but so far can find nothing. Nuovo peaked my interest but the views again are pretty awful with all the buildings around it, and they are no where near their sales point to build on time.
Wellington view to the north is good as there are no highrises blocking it

The reason I suggested it is because I actually purchased a unit. I like the area myself but i can't argue with somebody about their taste. The area is great for resale IMO. I was in thr same boat as you and i was debating between the wellington and nuovo.

The amenities are in the current building, so you won't have to wait until 2020. I'mnot sure what yyou're referring to.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Tamarack Wellington is too expensive... Condos left are mostly between 310-315K for a 1 bedroom without parking.

I'm looking more in lower 200's + 35K parking for total of mid/high 200's (250-280)
At that price range in new construction for a true one-bedroom (say more than 650 SQ FT) you are looking at Nepean Orleans etc.

Even Hamptonparklofts which is in marginal location at best and has some of the cheaper units around is above that price point.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
At that price range in new construction for a true one-bedroom (say more than 650 SQ FT) you are looking at Nepean Orleans etc.

Even Hamptonparklofts which is in marginal location at best and has some of the cheaper units around is above that price point.
650 square feet is a bit large. You can get 1 bedrooms in that price range if you're willing to go down to 400-500.

And don't judge by square footage. Layout is far more important. A 450 sqft place can feel bigger than a 650 sqft if its laid out better.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
650 square feet is a bit large. You can get 1 bedrooms in that price range if you're willing to go down to 400-500.

And don't judge by square footage. Layout is far more important. A 450 sqft place can feel bigger than a 650 sqft if its laid out better.
650 SQ FT is a bit large? um ok... Ottawa is not New York or even Toronto IMHO there is no reason to live in 400 Sq FT. I agree a bad layout can make something seem smaller, but no layout can make 400 SQ FT seem livable long term.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:11 PM

Quote:
650 SQ FT is a bit large? um ok... Ottawa is not New York or even Toronto IMHO there is no reason to live in 400 Sq FT. I agree a bad layout can make something seem smaller, but no layout can make 400 SQ FT seem livable long term.
Personally I wouldn't live in 500 square feet if it was a studio. I bought 520 indoor square feet only because there as an actual bedroom and a good layout.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenson View Post
Wellington view to the north is good as there are no highrises blocking it

The reason I suggested it is because I actually purchased a unit. I like the area myself but i can't argue with somebody about their taste. The area is great for resale IMO. I was in thr same boat as you and i was debating between the wellington and nuovo.

The amenities are in the current building, so you won't have to wait until 2020. I'mnot sure what yyou're referring to.
From what I understood from the sales centre is that the building they are currently using for the sales centre will house amenities once both phase 1 and phase 2 are sold as it will continue to be the sales centre. She said best estimates for that are 2018 to 2020 as Tamarack has a few more projects in the interim.

As for the view, the only decent view on wellington facing north will be above the 4th floor. The building across the street is 3 (very tall) stories plus a roof. Beyond that though your view of the river will be obstructed by the current and upcoming apartment/condo buildings on Parkdale and Scott. The downtown view might be pretty good from 6th floor and 7th floor terraces, if nothing gets built in the sightline.

You are correct though you should have pretty good resale assuming the condominium market begins to bounce back.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post

It is a common perception but in reality amenities are a very small part of condo fees. The vast majority of the budget is the reserve fund, insurance and utilities. A concierge or other full-time staff would be expensive, but a swimming pool, gym etc should be less than $10k a year to operate.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 2:40 PM

Quote:
It is for an urban condo. Relative to housing in general, obviously its small.

My apartment in Kingston was 542 square foot one-bedroom (not including the balcony), and I could have lived there forever. It was perfect. Big enough to have company over, big enough to store my stuff, small enough that upkeep was a breeze.

I'm incredibly lazy, I could never own a full-sized house because I would never put in the necessary amount of work to keep it clean. I like my small spaces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa