HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:11 PM
BANNED

Agreed. An ideal design scheme could entail the restoration of 104 princess, the demolition of 108, in its stead a 10 storey glass tower, while in the rear, a parkade with some retail component could replace the surface lot.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Agreed. An ideal design scheme could entail the restoration of 104 princess, the demolition of 108, in its stead a 10 storey glass tower, while in the rear, a parkade with some retail component could replace the surface lot.
As awesome as that would be, I believe that lot is owned by Fairchild tenants and has an underground parkade underneath it, so thats probably 20+ years away.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 6:39 PM
BANNED

The surface lot is part of the 104/108 package for sale.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 9:03 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
The surface lot is part of the 104/108 package for sale.
The current owner of this property (who is trying to sell it) was unable to pull the trigger on a redevelopment of these properties, even when subsidies were available.

There was a plan in place, it just never went to fruition.

Part of the issue is that it is very costly to save the crumbling facade of 104 princess. Even if you do, the floor plates are not at ideal heights to match up with new buildings, and the basement is a mess. You basically have to hold up the exterior walls, and demolish the interior to make it work.

If the City would allow someone to tear both 104 and 108 down, it may go further to helping get a project off the ground there. There would also need to be some sort of subsidy available.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Thanks for the information. In this case, this would be an acceptable scenario. If any potential developer approached the city with a solid plan to receive permission to demolish it, and had a bold design for a replacement, I believe the city would concede.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 11:10 PM

Could do something similar to Ryan block and re-use the facade.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 2:50 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Could do something similar to Ryan block and re-use the facade.
The Ryan Block was completely taken apart brick by brick and rebuilt.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 2:55 PM

^ I'm still somewhat amazed that actually happened. When they demolished, I would have bet the farm that they'd never rebuild the façade.

Speaking of, once the new Asian restaurant opens all of the CRUs should be occupied which is great. It sat vacant for so long I was beginning to wonder if anyone would ever move in there.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 3:52 PM
BANNED

I questioned that as well; needless to say I am elated.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 4:37 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i need to figure out more stuff of this but heres a rough of somthing ive been working on for a while.......
version 2.0

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 5:38 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I'm still somewhat amazed that actually happened. When they demolished, I would have bet the farm that they'd never rebuild the façade.

Speaking of, once the new Asian restaurant opens all of the CRUs should be occupied which is great. It sat vacant for so long I was beginning to wonder if anyone would ever move in there.
It only happened because the City paid for it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It only happened because the City paid for it.
I forgot that very salient point... that would certainly explain it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 1:07 PM
BANNED

I could think of worse things the city could spend money on.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 6:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
They must've hit some big reno issues because they've been doing construction for probably 6 months if not more already.

Also theres a decent amount of breakfast places for an area that's dead most Sat/Sunday afternoons. Underground Cafe, Free Press Cafe, Cibo, Bodegoes, Grace Cafe, Kay's Deli, Culinary Exchange... Missing any? I am definitely excited for Clementine, but there are already quite a few options around there.

In terms off RRC spinoff, I would argue that it has actually bolstered some businesses in the Exchange quite a bit, and I bet you some new owners cited RRC as a draw to opening, and probably still agree with that sentiment. Go into any of the bars and there's always tables of students around. I saw instructors out all the time. I'd love to see William developed, the space to the west of Miss Browns only became available a couple months ago (it was papered up for years), and is completely updated so I wouldn't be surprised to see it taken soon. And to the East, there was building maintentance going on in there this year a few times so it's not out of the question in the future I'd think.

And to the west and North of RRC is mostly empty, poor, barren wasteland... so if I were going to open a business I would never even consider going there when there's still good spots left in the heart of the Exchange... once those all go, then the development will spread up Princess. It's a small (but good) miracle that stretch of Total Lighting, Kay's, Stephenson, Little Saigon and Foon Hai have survived for so long.
I could easily tolerate the current blight here if we saw some major investment, even a block of it in the Exchange. There simply is no vision or will in this city to see the area become truly vibrant, and by that I mean adding modern elements. The Police Credit Union is a truly awful building which does nothing for the area. Meanwhile, in cities all over, true renewal with a twist has created vibrant neighborhoods, and exciting spaces.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@-37.8163...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 7:52 PM

^ There has been brand new development, just that it's all in the East Exchange. I'm sure that this at least partly due to the fact that there is hardly anywhere to build in the West Exchange, unless you go out to the edges of the area on Adelaide or farther west.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2015, 8:08 PM
BANNED

The lot at Main & McDermot, 104 Princess, St. Charles, lots on Princess/King/Arthur between Notre Dame and McDermot, Peck Building, the former Tim Horton's on Notre Dame (small brown brick building), the triangular "park" at Donald, Notre Dame and Smith, the surface lot across from it, surface lot on Arthur behind Royal Albert, Maw's King Street portion, Public Safety Building, the lot on Princess behind the Massey Building. Then there are other existing buildings which could be redeveloped with glass additions.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 5:14 PM
BANNED

Does anyone know if Manitoba Hydro has a design selected for the new substation?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
The problem with the pump house is that people still have the stupid idea that the pumping equipment be retained.

This is probably the greatest hurdle in its development.
Quote:
Agreed.
Yes, It's Heritage designation makes it problematic and costly to developers. I'm fine with the removal of the pumps to another location for preservation purposes and the restoration of the facade. Will this actually come to fruition in the future..???

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I could easily tolerate the current blight here if we saw some major investment, even a block of it in the Exchange. There simply is no vision or will in this city to see the area become truly vibrant, and by that I mean adding modern elements. The Police Credit Union is a truly awful building which does nothing for the area. Meanwhile, in cities all over, true renewal with a twist has created vibrant neighborhoods, and exciting l]
There have been probably a dozen heritage buildings converted to lofts or condos in the last 5 years, bringing residents to an area that had almost none not that long ago. 370 donald, James Ave, market Ave, 100 princess, travellers bldg. Now the galpern bldg and bag factory. Not every reno needs to have the type of gaudy glass additions you seem to love so much. I think they're better without.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 11:41 PM
BANNED

Incorporating modern additions to historic buildings is not gaudy. Perhaps you prefer the rather drab image of the Exchange that has not changed in decades, still appearing as an industrial district, NOT a vibrant neighborhood. You simply have no taste. You strike me as someone akin to Larry the Cable Guy who walks into an art gallery and critiques fine art.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan