HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I actually heard the city had plans to eventually build a footbridge from the U of M, connecting it to Normand Park in St.Vital. I've always thought that to be a great idea, considering it would be beneficial for many St.Vital residents.
They’re doing a transit bridge to extend the blue line to St. Vital mall via River Road. I’m sure it’ll have a footbridge as well.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Another giant park in the middle of downtown Winnipeg is the dumbest idea. The Forks has more than enough green space. It IS the park you are talking about. We already have the giant urban park you want. Now we need people living beside it to use it.
In some ways the ship has sailed on having a huge Assiniboine Park-like space at The Forks. Even if you wanted a giant lawn or whatever, CMHR is in the way. And then the main N-S street cuts the entire space in half. I'm not sure how much you could really do with that space between the street and the tracks when it comes to parks.

My main concern with Railside is that we're going to get bait-and-switched into some kind of apartment complex that looks like it belongs way out on Fermor, in terms of design, site layout and density.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In some ways the ship has sailed on having a huge Assiniboine Park-like space at The Forks. Even if you wanted a giant lawn or whatever, CMHR is in the way. And then the main N-S street cuts the entire space in half. I'm not sure how much you could really do with that space between the street and the tracks when it comes to parks.

My main concern with Railside is that we're going to get bait-and-switched into some kind of apartment complex that looks like it belongs way out on Fermor, in terms of design, site layout and density.
I think you are correct with Railside. But at this point we may as well just change direction and allow some tall apartment/ condos. I doubt they would be Fermor style as you have St B so close and I'm sure you'd get some very nice looking builds. But with all the current red tape and pie in the sky dreams of the lots. Nothing will get done.

The Utopia style Railside dream will take 30 years to come together. It's only been 30 years already and all they have done is gone Frome gravel parking lots to asphalt lol. It's too bad the ball park was built where it was as it would have fit in nice at the forks. And then the old buildings that were torn down where the ball park is now could ha e been a nice extension of the Exchange.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 5:19 PM

I think the murmur is a renewed look at a lineal park from Waterfront Drive to the tip in Point Douglas South of Higgins. Our 300,000ft2 waterfront parcel of land at Gomez and Higgins is LARGER than Railside and better suited for the park. It comprises only a small portion of waterfront land available in the area. Everything North of Higgins to the tracks is suited for housing…

Rail side is best suited for the housing already proposed..

The suits have knocked on our door…

(Have another look at Scatliff’s “Go to the Waterfront” prepared for the City.

Last edited by Labroco; May 11, 2023 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 5:24 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
I think the murmur is a renewed look at a lineal park from Waterfront Drive to the tip in Point Douglas South of Higgins. Our 300,000ft2 waterfront parcel of land land is LARGER than Railside and better suited for the park. It comprises only a small portion of waterfront land available. Everything North of Higgins to the tracks is suited for housing…

Rail side is best suited for the housing already proposed..

The suits have knocked on our door…
That sounds like the best case, is there a push to actually extend and complete waterfront drive to higgins? Or was that never part of the plan?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I just saw something good.
I'll bite. What and where and when?

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 6:13 PM

All that stuff is just across the river at Whittier Park. That "Go to the Waterfront" proposal shows a footbridge connecting the river front along Higgins, to Whittier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
You love the comment because it’s the truth. And if residential has always been a part of the forks master plan… well then, it’s a stupid master plan. We have an opportunity to do something wonderful here that could spur economic growth and residential development throughout the rest of downtown. Once the land is built on there is no turning back. Tree it over, plant grasses, create space for sports to be played so when the little kids living downtown want to play soccer or baseball the parents don’t have to bus them to charleswood for team sports. Honestly fuck condos.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 7:11 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
All that stuff is just across the river at Whittier Park. That "Go to the Waterfront" proposal shows a footbridge connecting the river front along Higgins, to Whittier.
The document also calls for a pedestrian bridge deck to be fixed alongside the CN mainline bridge.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 10:05 PM

Looks like prep work has begun for the new apartment building on Portage Avenue. Down to two lanes and sewer work underway.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...7.2375808!10e5

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
They’re doing a transit bridge to extend the blue line to St. Vital mall via River Road. I’m sure it’ll have a footbridge as well.
How many times have you seen anyone using the Disraeli foot bridge?

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:57 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie5 View Post
lots anytime i pass it theres plp using it

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
It's very well used. You drove over the Disraeli once, didn't see anyone on it, and decided pedestrian infrastructure is useless?

Last edited by BubberMiley; May 12, 2023 at 1:27 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 12:46 PM

Hello friends of Skyscraper Winnipeg Forums,

Quick question. I joined years ago and asked about possible land development in West St Paul. My parents own a acreage and the land east on McPhillips has begun to develop very quickly.

Question: If I wanted to get in to land development what would be the best route to take? I don't think I want to be a home builder, but I would like to get the land to a point where the lots are for sale to developers.

I don't mind entering the industry at an entry level position to learn the process over the years.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Bruh I live in the Southwest part of the city and even I use the Disraeli foot bridge on occasion.

How do you think people from Elmwood are able to walk/cycle to Downtown in the first place?

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 1:34 PM

Are we talking about the bridge over the Red or the stairs and bridge over the Disraeli closer to Main?

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 3:47 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby604 View Post
Hello friends of Skyscraper Winnipeg Forums,

Quick question. I joined years ago and asked about possible land development in West St Paul. My parents own a acreage and the land east on McPhillips has begun to develop very quickly.

Question: If I wanted to get in to land development what would be the best route to take? I don't think I want to be a home builder, but I would like to get the land to a point where the lots are for sale to developers.

I don't mind entering the industry at an entry level position to learn the process over the years.
Developer as in taking a blank slate of land you own and putting in services and subdividing?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 5:08 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Are we talking about the bridge over the Red or the stairs and bridge over the Disraeli closer to Main?
The one with stars is for students going to argyle

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 7:06 PM

It is definitely interesting to see CentrePlan 2050 drop publicly today and be openly calling for more greenspace downtown, almost like the idea of more greenspace, not condos, is what The Forks truly needs.

https://engage.winnipeg.ca/centrepla...ening-downtown

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It is definitely interesting to see CentrePlan 2050 drop publicly today and be openly calling for more greenspace downtown, almost like the idea of more greenspace, not condos, is what The Forks truly needs.

There’s plenty of green space by the Forks, and the same centreplan is also talking about adding residential units in Downtown to improve livability.

The areas where greenspace is lacking is the South Portage Area. One of those massive lots on Donald or York should be converted into a recreational green space. Of course there also needs to be a significantly higher amount of street trees basically everywhere in Downtown and I wouldn’t mind a few streets to be converted into greenways where storm water and snow runoff can be mitigated through a natural process rather then being funelled to the Red River asap which has ramifications such as combined sewer overflows.

My dream is to implement an internal canal system somewhere in the DT just to add a nice human scale water feature which can be used as skating in the winter.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post

The Forks already has substantial green space. Open up google maps and you can eyeball that about half (if not more) of the space between the rivers and the rail lines is currently green space, more than enough for current and future use once the parking lots are redeveloped into residences. Plus you have Stephen Juba and green space along the river in St B just a walk across the river. The only time that space is stretched is for festivals and celebrations (think Canada day, Pride, etc...) and that's to be expected.

More local green space would be ideal in the north and west areas of Downtown. South and east are served by the river related green spaces.

Likewise it doesn't need to be huge. The forks and Assiniboine park are regional parks, drawing in people from all over the city and do their job well but we dont need to expand them or create another regional park. Downtown needs small green spaces for residents and nearby workers to enjoy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan