HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:22 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
BS - Follow me.

Tuesday at the Midtown DRC meeting Portman Holdings is presenting this:

As you can see from my "illustration" 740 West Peachtree/Anthem Tech HQ is Under Construction and now Portman is presenting 712 West Peachtree at the DRC. It was originally thought Anthem was going to move their Corporate HQ from Indy to Atlanta and that is the reason Portman was planning 712 West Peachtree. Anthem already extended their lease so 712 West Peachtree is not for them.

Coincidentally, Carl Icahn owns half of the block where Portman is planning/building 740 & 712 West Peachtree. So if you don't know who Carl Icahn is maybe this can jog your brain - He own 675 West Peachtree the 1.5 Million sqft tower AT&T is leaving in Q4 - even though their lease not up until 2021.

You connecting the dots now BS? Furthermore, something big happened today and I believe it is why we are seeing this Portman project pop up.
You think they’re working together on something that would take up both plots? Or is it, they both know what this big thing is and they’re doing they’re own things? What was that “big” thing? Also, you think that may have triggered the other developer on the north avenue “J. Crickets” spot to revive plans?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
You think they’re working together on something that would take up both plots? Or is it, they both know what this big thing is and they’re doing they’re own things? What was that “big” thing? Also, you think that may have triggered the other developer on the north avenue “J. Crickets” spot to revive plans?
If I knew something I couldn't say it, if I didn't know anything - I would say that. ....OK!

Important
The J. Crickets developer is the same one that bought 50 Allen Plaza site a couple weeks ago. Speaking of that developer - they are not done yet. Jarred @ Bisnow is working on a big story forthcoming. I will get ya'll an ETA.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
BS - Follow me.

Tuesday at the Midtown DRC meeting Portman Holdings is presenting this:

As you can see from my "illustration" 740 West Peachtree/Anthem Tech HQ is Under Construction and now Portman is presenting 712 West Peachtree at the DRC. It was originally thought Anthem was going to move their Corporate HQ from Indy to Atlanta and that is the reason Portman was planning 712 West Peachtree. Anthem already extended their lease so 712 West Peachtree is not for them.

Coincidentally, Carl Icahn owns half of the block where Portman is planning/building 740 & 712 West Peachtree. So if you don't know who Carl Icahn is maybe this can jog your brain - He own 675 West Peachtree the 1.5 Million sqft tower AT&T is leaving in Q4 - even though their lease not up until 2021.

You connecting the dots now BS? Furthermore, something big happened today and I believe it is why we are seeing this Portman project pop up.
Youre not saying Amazon but if its not them someone big is dealing with Icahn for a lot of space around this area.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:41 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
If I knew something I couldn't say it, if I didn't know anything - I would say that. ....OK!

Important
The J. Crickets developer is the same one that bought 50 Allen Plaza site a couple weeks ago. Speaking of that developer - they are not done yet. Jarred @ Bisnow is working on a big story forthcoming. I will get ya'll an ETA.
Ha! You’re a hot mess! I knew that name sounded familiar. It doesn’t seem like he’s I’m a hurry on either site, but I get the impression the Allen Plaza site may get preferential treatment. Side note: I work with Ivan Allen’s great grandson.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
Youre not saying Amazon but if its not them someone big is dealing with Icahn for a lot of space around this area.
However wasnt Amazon dealing w Cousins.

It wouldnt be shocking that Portman is dealing w them too considering they are a big name in ATL.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If it was Amazon I couldn't say - If it wasn't Amazon, I would say that. Make sense?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 9:48 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
If it was Amazon I couldn't say - If it wasn't Amazon, I would say that. Make sense?
Nice logically equivalent statements.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:20 PM

Smile

Quote:
However wasnt Amazon dealing w Cousins.

It wouldnt be shocking that Portman is dealing w them too considering they are a big name in ATL.
You mean Cousins' proposed West Peachtree & 8th location ?

Its been a while since anything has been published about that proposed 31 story West Peachtree & 8th tower.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-d...wer-skyscraper

Mister Atlanta 3000, can you - or anyone else - kindly and publicly share an update on this (even if it doesn't include Amazon) ?

Any news on nearby Ponce & 3rd would be a lucky strike extra.

Thank you, good people of ATL

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 10:42 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
You mean Cousins' proposed West Peachtree & 8th location ?

Its been a while since anything has been published about that proposed 31 story West Peachtree & 8th tower.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-d...wer-skyscraper

Mister Atlanta 3000, can you - or anyone else - kindly and publicly share an update on this (even if it doesn't include Amazon) ?

Any news on nearby Ponce & 3rd would be a lucky strike extra.

Thank you, good people of ATL
Yes Cousins proposed that tower. Last reported, they were to follow up with the DRC, and purchase the land they hope to have possession of by the end of summer to begin construction by the beginning of the year. I couldn’t tell you about the other site you asked about.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
There ain’t shit going on in that pit. It’s over. Eviva 2.0
That pit wasn't there a month ago. I drive by there to and from work every day. For weeks there were multiple bulldozers digging up dirt and rock and filling up lines of dump trucks to cart it away. Why would they go to the expense of doing that, just recently, if the intention wasn't to move forward?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
That pit wasn't there a month ago. I drive by there to and from work every day. For weeks there were multiple bulldozers digging up dirt and rock and filling up lines of dump trucks to cart it away. Why would they go to the expense of doing that, just recently, if the intention wasn't to move forward?
It's looking more like vaporware by the day. They do enough to look legitimate so they can attract enough presales for financing. It happens a lot in bigger cities but they also have more stringent reporting standards.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 1:31 PM

Is the two way street timing related to Amazon in Midtown?

Quote:
Converting/expanding nearby 3rd and 4th streets to two way around Icahn's AT&T West Peachtree building helps Amazon or anyone else moving there

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...721&j=83205791

Also, while a final round of shortlist HQ2 cities could spur another round of favorable negotiations for Amazon, it would also serve as a public thank you to those cities that they were that close to landing Amazon and warrant top of mind consideration for other corporate relocations. Finishing with that "medal" of shorts from the Amazon "Olympics", would be noteworthy for those cities for a multitude of long term benefits

https://coloradopolitics.com/amazon-...o-get-shorter/

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 3:10 PM
Closed account

While Atlanta has still been on a roll with new high rises and infill projects, it would be a shame if both of the biggest project during this economic cycle (Eviva and Opus) fail to get off the ground

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Peachtree View Post
Converting/expanding nearby 3rd and 4th streets to two way around Icahn's AT&T West Peachtree building helps Amazon or anyone else moving there

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...721&j=83205791

Also, while a final round of shortlist HQ2 cities could spur another round of favorable negotiations for Amazon, it would also serve as a public thank you to those cities that they were that close to landing Amazon and warrant top of mind consideration for other corporate relocations. Finishing with that "medal" of shorts from the Amazon "Olympics", would be noteworthy for those cities for a multitude of long term benefits

https://coloradopolitics.com/amazon-...o-get-shorter/
I highly doubt the one-way conversions are related. The Midtown Alliance has been planning conversions, and executing on them, for years now.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megalopolis View Post
I'm at Atlantic House and have been watching their site all year. Really does seem like vaporware like another poster said. They keep lazily pushing dirt around maybe one day a week (perhaps when a potential big buyer is coming). Does not reflect a proper building construction program as I've seen all over Midtown for years now.

I really hope it happens that said, but seems oddly Gatsby like at the moment.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 9:53 PM

Don't want to alarm anybody, but...
went by the Opus site today and there's a small crane going up - looks like a caisson driller.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
went by the Opus site today and there's a small crane going up - looks like a caisson driller.
buzzkill

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 12:12 AM

Opus hasn't even FILED for a building permit yet! That means even if they get done moving their dirt around the site, they aren't building anything there anytime soon. In fact, they haven't filed for ANY permits related to Opus since April 2017.

I want it to get built as much as anyone, but this is getting silly.

This reminds me of when an Integral Group did an interview with Curbed stating they were going to be breaking ground soon. They put up their chain link construction fencing, but immediately repainted the parking lot spaces. Shortly thereafter they terminated the LD permit that was ready to issue. Those guys had no intention of breaking ground, I think they were just playing the media to drum up interest.

Last edited by jwbab; Aug 12, 2018 at 12:23 AM.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
The naysayers are having a fit.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Opus hasn't even FILED for a building permit yet! That means even if they get done moving their dirt around the site, they aren't building anything there anytime soon. In fact, they haven't filed for ANY permits related to Opus since April 2017.

I want it to get built as much as anyone, but this is getting silly.

This reminds me of when an Integral Group did an interview with Curbed stating they were going to be breaking ground soon. They put up their chain link construction fencing, but immediately repainted the parking lot spaces. Shortly thereafter they terminated the LD permit that was ready to issue. Those guys had no intention of breaking ground, I think they were just playing the media to drum up interest.
Unlike Eviva, Opus built an extravagant sales center and excavated their site. Not a great comparison.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations