HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:30 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
Which will incentivize them to take alternate modes. Asking people nicely to take transit or building more and more lanes of traffic has done nothing to alleviate congestion or improve the urban environment. Sometimes ya need a stick.
Making the city miserable and expensive to move around in causes people to leave the city, actually. I avoid downtown as much as possible these days - if I can do it somewhere else, even if that means driving to Burnaby, I'll do it.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitchensis View Post
Which will incentivize them to take alternate modes. Asking people nicely to take transit or building more and more lanes of traffic has done nothing to alleviate congestion or improve the urban environment. Sometimes ya need a stick.
you must work for the CoV in the planning department. because a race to the bottom seems to be what they are going for.

"make car driving worse so that they get so frustrated they switch modes!!!"

you should see the difference in numbers for cycling from summer users and winter users. we are a fair weather biking city. just go to Hornby in the winter and take a look at the amount of bikes using those paths.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 1:18 AM

Negative reinforcement is a terrible strategy to use in urban planning. (socially and economically).

It reeks of governing via agenda / personal dogma.

You want more people not to drive? Use positive reinforcement! Make transit better, not roads worse.

Japan arguably has the worlds best rail network, yet still has a far superior road network than anything in Vancouver / BC at the same time

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 4:22 AM

I am confused. Are people suggesting not enough people take the Skytrain to Vancouver? As a Surrey resident, I would like to get a seat when i depart from Scott Road Station more often.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memememe76 View Post
I am confused. Are people suggesting not enough people take the Skytrain to Vancouver? As a Surrey resident, I would like to get a seat when i depart from Scott Road Station more often.
Argument #1 - Too many people drive instead of taking transit. So we need more transit.

Argument #2 - Too many people drive instead of taking transit. We have enough transit.

Argument #3 - Driving is necessary. We have enough transit, give us our roadspace back.

Argument #4 - Driving is sometimes necessary. We don't have enough of either transit or roadspace.

At least that's how I'm seeing it.

Last edited by Migrant_Coconut; Jun 24, 2017 at 4:34 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:46 AM

Never heard of a good balance? Making roads worse and not drastically improving transit is just making it harder for everyone.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:52 AM

Exactly. A 5th argument wasn't mentioned: Instead of drastically reducing road space with minimal transit improvements, some of us want to strengthen our road network (overall throughout the metro) while also majorly upgrading transit. You know, a proactive positive approach.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 2:56 AM

Just thought I'd remind everyone that this discussion is probably better suited to the viaducts thread. Here's a link for anyone who hasn't seen it before:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...74625&page=247

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:22 PM

Frances Bula on the Plaza of Nations site:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35417947/

Quote:
Billionaire developer talks plans for Vancouver waterfront site
Frances Bula
VANCOUVER — Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, Jun. 21, 2017 10:17PM EDT
Last updated Wednesday, Jun. 21, 2017 10:17PM EDT

Mr. Oei, a Singapore billionaire who is considered one of Southeast Asia’s richest men, said he also wants to give back to the community in Northeast False Creek by building a museum that could display some of the 50,000 Buddhist artifacts that he has collected.

And, in keeping with his image of Vancouver, he wants the development to be like a garden.

When he first came to Vancouver, he says was struck by what a green city it was.

In fact, Singapore’s prime minister, who also visited the city the year after Expo and encouraged Mr. Oei to buy property here, was so impressed by that aspect that he pushed to have Singapore emulate the “garden city” feel of Vancouver.

As a result, the development, which sits on the waterfront near BC Place, will be called Expo Gardens and its design focuses heavily on terraced buildings with gardens and green spaces at every level.

Architect James Cheng, who has been working for years on the project, has produced a conceptual model that shows buildings that frame a view of BC Place and that step down to the ground. There will also be some bridges between buildings and several roof gardens.

“It just turned out that Mr. Oei’s vision from the beginning was to do a series of gardens,” Mr. Cheng said. That’s why we do the terracing, because every terrace can have a garden on it. We want multiple levels so the public can have different perspectives.”

The current design also envisions building a new island in False Creek, called Habitat Island.

Mr. Oei’s portion of the new Northeast False Creek neighbourhood will also include a novel community amenity that was worked out a few years ago with local residents and the Aquilini company.

That will be a community centre and skating rink that the Vancouver Canucks hockey team, owned by the Aquilinis, can use as a practice facility during the day.

The Aquilinis and Mr. Oei have committed that the centre’s operating costs will be covered by them, not the park board, which gives the area a new community centre and part-time rink for free.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle35417947/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 9:57 PM

Walkways between buildings? Terraced gardens? Museum? Artificial island? Community centre and rink paid by the devs? This plan keeps getting better and better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
In fact, Singapore’s prime minister, who also visited the city the year after Expo and encouraged Mr. Oei to buy property here, was so impressed by that aspect that he pushed to have Singapore emulate the “garden city” feel of Vancouver.
Come on Globe and Mail, it's not that hard to include the man's name (Lee Kuan Yew, PM and founding father, for those who don't want to Google it).

It seems that the student has become the master; now sometimes we're too much of a garden, and could use Singapore to show us how to integrate the "city" part.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 11:44 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Architect James Cheng, who has been working for years on the project...
And with those words, every trace of excitement vanishes. Who knows how bland a project James Cheng could make if given enough time?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 6:05 PM

City of Vanc. Northeast False Creek Questionnaire. Take it here.

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...2017+NEFC+June

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 8:12 PM

The reference to building a new island called Habitat Island is odd, since that island already exists:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Hab...4d-123.1109324

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 11:20 PM

Thought it would be interesting to compare the old concept for the NEFC Park to the current design.

Use Carrall Street at the top edge as a reference line marking east and west.
You can see that the Concord lands have encroached from the west to almost in line with Carrall.

Old Concepts:

http://vancouver.ca/home-property-de...lse-creek.aspx

Current Design:

Last edited by officedweller; Jul 13, 2017 at 11:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 11:39 PM

Received by e-mail:

Quote:
Over the past 15 months, we've heard from thousands of people about the future of Northeast False Creek. It's now time for us to share what we've heard and how the area plan has been refined!

Join us at our upcoming events to learn about the area plan - including the future street network and the park design process - before it's presented to Council for consideration early next year.

Rezoning applications for the development sites will also be on display for your comments.

Pop-Up Storefront

Dates & Times:
•Saturday, November 18, 11 am - 5 pm
•Monday, November 20, 11 am – 5 pm
•Tuesday, November 21, 11 am – 5 pm
•Wednesday, November 22, 3 – 9 pm

Open House at Chinatown Plaza

Date: Thursday, November 23
Time: 2 - 6 pm

Coming Soon: Refined Area Plan & Online Survey

On Saturday, November 18, the NEFC Refined Area Plan survey will be available online. We'll send a friendly reminder on that day and appreciate your help in sharing it with your community.

Your input to the questionnaire and at these events will help us finalize the NEFC area plan before the plan is presented to Council for consideration early next year.

Sincerely,
Northeast False Creek Area Planning Team

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 10:03 AM

someone put this together, its quite good

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 10:42 PM

I really hope the view of the Stadium isn't blocked and that the viaducts don't get torn down (to separate traffic). It seems really stupid to have the traffic go right through the park rather than above. Vancouver really can't design public areas.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post
It seems really stupid to have the traffic go right through the park rather than above. Vancouver really can't design public areas.
Or underneath: then there'd be one big, contiguous park rather than a bunch of (relatively) small ones, and no chance of gridlock or collision. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be enough room between Expo and Quebec for a grade-separated road.

More worrying is all the level crossings. This new-school "street interaction" crap needs to die quickly and horribly - either hide the vehicles, or hide the pedestrians.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 6:39 AM

Those are some well made and informative videos.

I still feel that much of this can be done retaining at least one of the viaducts, but if this plan comes together as shown now (the more interesting aspects are not deleted / simplified later on) then I will like the area. Still concerned about traffic though.

Another concern I have it who is going to maintain all of this? All these green spaces on towers look great on paper but these are many micro-parks to maintain...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Another concern I have it who is going to maintain all of this? All these green spaces on towers look great on paper but these are many micro-parks to maintain...
Anything attached to towers will get maintained by those strata organizations.

Vancouver does a decent job of cleaning up parks, with the possible exception of dirty needles, which will be a huge issue in these areas. The parks need to bear in mind designs to minimize appeal to junkies, especially at night.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver