London
Murders: 105 (12 months to Sep 2016)
Population: 8,727,334 (mid-2016)
Rate Per 100,000: 1.20

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Salinas, CA (pop. 155,662 ) - 33

This might be the worst year ever for Salinas. It's the worst since 1985, at least. The previous records were 29 murders in 2009, 25 murders in 2008, and 24 murders in 1994.

I'm guessing that like usual, most of it is due to gang violence between Nortenos and Surenos, who have long had a strong presence in Salinas, which is a relatively inexpensive agricultural city with tons of latino residents (from mexico mostly). I wouldn't be surpised if some norteno and sureno gangbangers who have been priced out of the Bay Area, and have family/friends in Salinas, have been moving in and causing extra conflict.
Salinas is interesting in that it's demographically very atypical for a U.S. city with a crazy homicide rate. Salinas has basically no African Americans.

Yeah, I assume the murder rate is mostly among the Mexican American community. It appears to be one of the highest murder rates in the U.S. (perhaps the highest) for a city with almost no black population. Very odd for a small farming community near the Bay Area.

Also, looking the long-term population trends, Salinas has had huge population growth since the 80's, so its murder rate was probably even higher back then.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 10:28 PM

Philadelphia is at 237. It had 236 this time last year.

That's a rate of 15.1/100,000

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 1:31 PM
don't *meddle*...

Austria (2015), pop. 8.7M: 39 homicides
Solved: 100%.
Rate: 0.223

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 1:33 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

what majority non-hispanic white city has the highest homicide rate?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 2:46 PM
BANNED

Tijuana now exceeds 700

Body left hanging on bridge in Mexico's Tijuana

Quote:
Tijuana (Mexico) (AFP) - A man was found hanging under a pedestrian bridge in Tijuana, a Mexican city bordering the United States where drug-related violence has resurged, authorities said Thursday.

The victim hung from a chain with his hands and feet tied when he was found on Wednesday, said Jose Manuel Yepiz, spokesman of the Baja California state prosecutor's office.

A threatening message was left on the body.

It is the second time this year that someone is hanged from a bridge in Tijuana.

Such gruesome scenes were more common between 2006 and 2009, when the city endured a turf war between the Arellano Felix crime family and the Sinaloa drug cartel.

Homicides are on the rise again in the Pacific coast city, with more than 700 murders so far this year, compared to 670 in 2015, according to official figures.

The violence is now attributed to battles between the Sinaloa gang and the Jalisco New Generation drug cartel.

source

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
ever since the release of the laquan mcdonald video and subsequent BLM stuff, CPD has backed-off and the inmates are now running the asylum in chicago's ghettos.

the bitter irony is that BLM has indirectly lead to the premature end of hundreds more young black lives in the windy city. it's a savage lose-lose situation.
Ah, yes. The discredited "Ferguson Effect". This reminds me of the "Broken Window theory" from the mid-90s. So powerful was NYC crack down on petty crime that it reduced the murder rate right across the USA and even in Canada. Fantastic.

Surely, those who post here are connected to reality and know what drives crime in our cities.

Demographics, drugs, organized crime and street gangs, unemployment and poverty are better indicators than policing or police force size.

For the update - Quebec City is at 1. Metro at 1. City pop. 540,000, Metro - 860,000.

Apparently, an 18-year-old man killed a six-times convicted 73-year-old pedophile (premeditated murder according to the Journal de Quebec).

First murder in over 14 months.

Last edited by Oliver May; Nov 6, 2016 at 3:15 PM. Reason: correction of typo.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
what majority non-hispanic white city has the highest homicide rate?
I believe it's KCMO.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emprise du Lion View Post
I believe it's KCMO.
KC MO is barely majority white, with a very large African American population. Will most likely be majority nonwhite by next Census.

I wouldn't call it a "white" city when it's far less white than the nation as a whole, and has three times the % black as the nation as a whole.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
KC MO is barely majority white, with a very large African American population. Will most likely be majority nonwhite by next Census.

I wouldn't call it a "white" city when it's far less white than the nation as a whole, and has three times the % black as the nation as a whole.
dc_denizen didn't ask which city most looked like the US' demographics as a whole. For the moment, KCMO is about 54-55% non-Hispanic white. By the time the 2020 Census takes place, it might very well drop below 50%. St. Louis might also cross the 50% threshold for the first time in decades on the opposite end of the spectrum though, making it the most dangerous white majority city in the country.

As for cities that are currently 64% non-Hispanic white and falling like the US as a whole, I have no idea.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
dc_denizen didn't ask which city most looked like the US' demographics as a whole. For the moment, KCMO is about 54-55% non-Hispanic white. By the time the 2020 Census takes place, it might very well drop below 50%. St. Louis might also cross the 50% threshold for the first time in decades on the opposite end of the spectrum though, making it the most dangerous white majority city in the country.

As for cities that are currently 64% non-Hispanic white and falling like the US as a whole, I have no idea.
It won't matter if St. Louis is White Majority, it still has a High Black/ African American Percentage anyways.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 2:59 PM

Youngstown Ohio

Youngstown Ohio (18)

Population (65,000)

Rate (27.6)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
I read in the paper that a much of the murders and assualts are due to fighting between Latino gangs (mostly immigrants, legal and illegal, including the infamous and violent MS gang) and African-American gangs for turf and drug selling. The Latino gangs as they grow greatly in numbers are pushing into traditional black areas, so that causes violent clashes I guess. The same black-Latino gang clashes is also occurring in other cities nationwide, including L.A., S.F., Dallas, Houston etc. Of course innocent people get caught in the crossfire. Sad. Maybe others have more info on the gang clashes, and the role in the crime increases.
i dont think this is a fully accurate reading of the situation. there are a lot of things fueling the rise in homicides, but id say the biggest factors are

A) the splintering of gangs. Your description is a very 90's-esque sort of view. Today, Chicago gangs are hyperlocalized and in many cases are only as large as a handful of kids living on a certain block. In some cases they may pledge allegiance to a larger faction, but theres not the heavy bureaucratic top-down control. Most of the big players have been locked up, which means no ones really running the show or keeping people in check. You dont have the major wars so much anymore (i.e. bloods vs crips). Its again, smaller scale and hyper local beefs. Even kids who do not want to be in a gang are associated merely by the fact they live in a certain area. This leads into:

B) rise of social media. A lot of these feuds are fueled through facebook and youtube. Its easy to talk shit about someone on these platforms, and even minor transgressions can be met with guns. And this is due to:

C) easy access to guns. Everyone in the media talks about Chicagos historically strict gun laws, which is true, but the missing part is that Chicago is surrounded by places that have extremely lax gun laws (i.e.: Indiana). Most of the guns used in Chicago crimes come from outside the city. And of course the United States as a whole is extremely lax on guns, the likes of which isnt comparable to anywhere else in the western world.

D) repeat offenders. A lot of the violent crime is committed by a statistically small group of people who have been involved with the law in the past. There are lots of reasons for this. Lack of funding and a general shift away from incarceration as a long term solution are factors.

E) poor or non-existent legitimate economic and social opportunities in impoverished areas of the city. Also poor or non existent family structures...crime tends to be a cycle. In lots of cases there is a father who is locked away or not in the picture. Kids are essentially raising kids.

F) resurgence of cheap and powerful heroin. Chicago is the main distribution point for a significant portion of the country. Obviously this also ties in to the current state of the failed "war on drugs"

G) debatable, but the notion that cops are being more lax because they are afraid of being caught in some sort of excessive force scandal.

Anyway, Im not a criminologist, but this is my impression having lived here for a long time.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Nov 7, 2016 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2016, 8:12 AM

Rio in Brazil was @ an annualized 4,700 homicides and a rate of 37 (first five months of this year). The highest it's been since 2010. This is an upward trend since 2012.

It's been going up apart from 2015 which dropped suddenly to just above the 2012 low. Unfortunately it's just ballooned back up again in 2016. Prior to this year, 2013 and then 2014 were the most homicidal from 2011 onwards.

San Salvador had 1,900 homicides last year for a rate of 111. I aim to do a count for 2016 haven't got round to it yet.

Mexico City's murder rate has finally dropped in 2014 and again in 2015, it had been increasing exponentially.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 6:19 PM

SF is at 47 now, after a man was found dead in Nob Hill.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 9:13 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
St. Louis might also cross the 50% threshold for the first time in decades on the opposite end of the spectrum though, making it the most dangerous white majority city in the country.
lots of speculation here. first, will St. Louis maintain its homicide rate up to some hypothetical point in the future at which time it becomes majority white? second, would a homicide rate that primarily reflects the deaths of black people not be effected by such a change in demographics? third, "most dangerous" for whom?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2016, 10:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i dont think this is a fully accurate reading of the situation. there are a lot of things fueling the rise in homicides, but id say the biggest factors are

A) the splintering of gangs. Your description is a very 90's-esque sort of view. Today, Chicago gangs are hyperlocalized and in many cases are only as large as a handful of kids living on a certain block. In some cases they may pledge allegiance to a larger faction, but theres not the heavy bureaucratic top-down control. Most of the big players have been locked up, which means no ones really running the show or keeping people in check. You dont have the major wars so much anymore (i.e. bloods vs crips). Its again, smaller scale and hyper local beefs. Even kids who do not want to be in a gang are associated merely by the fact they live in a certain area. This leads into:

B) rise of social media. A lot of these feuds are fueled through facebook and youtube. Its easy to talk shit about someone on these platforms, and even minor transgressions can be met with guns. And this is due to:

C) easy access to guns. Everyone in the media talks about Chicagos historically strict gun laws, which is true, but the missing part is that Chicago is surrounded by places that have extremely lax gun laws (i.e.: Indiana). Most of the guns used in Chicago crimes come from outside the city. And of course the United States as a whole is extremely lax on guns, the likes of which isnt comparable to anywhere else in the western world.

D) repeat offenders. A lot of the violent crime is committed by a statistically small group of people who have been involved with the law in the past. There are lots of reasons for this. Lack of funding and a general shift away from incarceration as a long term solution are factors.

E) poor or non-existent legitimate economic and social opportunities in impoverished areas of the city. Also poor or non existent family structures...crime tends to be a cycle. In lots of cases there is a father who is locked away or not in the picture. Kids are essentially raising kids.

F) resurgence of cheap and powerful heroin. Chicago is the main distribution point for a significant portion of the country. Obviously this also ties in to the current state of the failed "war on drugs"

G) debatable, but the notion that cops are being more lax because they are afraid of being caught in some sort of excessive force scandal.

Anyway, Im not a criminologist, but this is my impression having lived here for a long time.
Your 100% Bang on I think, very impressed & u are a wise Chicagoan to admit all of those things, if more people can think this way America will infact improve.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 4:24 AM

Montreal has 20. Rate of 1.0/100k

Greater Montreal has 28 for a rate of 0.68/100k

Last edited by Darkoshvilli; Nov 11, 2016 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 10:39 PM

Old Posted Nov 17, 2016, 12:10 AM
Meh

I'll update later.

1 dead - Man dies after reported shooting in North Austin, police say - 11/16

1 dead - Elgin police update name of victim in fatal shooting - 11/25

1 dead - Man faces murder charge after teen found dead in Northeast Austin - 11/29

1 dead - Body found in North Austin investigated as a homicide - 12/9

1 dead - Murder-suicide suspected in Saturday shooting in South Austin, police say - 12/10

This one is resulting in a manslaughter charge.

1 dead - Police: Man fatally shot friend during joint birthday party in South Austin - 12/12

-

1 dead - Woman dies from gunshot wounds in Southeast Austin - 12/18

1 dead - Austin police make arrests in pair of Sunday homicides - 12/18

1 dead - Police seeking shooter of man gunned down in Northwest Austin - 12/29

1 dead - Murder-suicide leaves man, woman dead in Round Rock - 12/29

Pending

1 dead - Police investigating suspicious death in North Austin - 12/24

1 dead - Officials: Dead man found in Lady Bird Lake - 12/29

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Dec 30, 2016 at 6:01 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions