HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 5:39 AM

It could be for redundancy. It's the end of the line so those switches will be working continuously; with two sets if one is out of service it does not affect regular service.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 6:41 AM

... or they could be planning that future extension through Abbotsford and Chilliwack all the way to Hope!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 2:38 PM

The switch configuration at Langley City Centre (203rd) is the same as the configuration at Lafarge Lake - Douglas, which allows trains to arrive and depart from both of the platforms fairly easily without needing to turn around in a tail track behind the station.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwax View Post
Surrey-Langley SkyTrain project update coming

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/1...update-coming/
Yawn what a let down, big news is choosing names. For all the hype it sounded like it might be something more substantial like the award of one or more of the three build contracts that would actually get this project moving.

As late as last April gov was saying "contract award is anticipated in late 2023".

Source: BC Gov News Release - Firms shortlisted for Surrey Langley SkyTrain systems, track work contract April 25, 2023

Technically a few more weeks left for that, I suppose.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2023, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Yawn what a let down, big news is choosing names. For all the hype it sounded like it might be something more substantial like the award of one or more of the three build contracts that would actually get this project moving.

As late as last April gov was saying "contract award is anticipated in late 2023".

Source: BC Gov News Release - Firms shortlisted for Surrey Langley SkyTrain systems, track work contract April 25, 2023

Technically a few more weeks left for that, I suppose.
This is exactly the sort of tendering process that will be announced on Dec 31.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 5:12 AM

Guideway contract was awarded today, not sure when it will be publicly announced.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 2:10 AM
Rational urbanist

Thanks for the scoop!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2024, 3:05 AM

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 7:38 AM

anyone know if they need to raise or underground their transmission lines that cross fraser highway?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2024, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
anyone know if they need to raise or underground their transmission lines that cross fraser highway?
I think that was already done last year.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 1:28 AM

Src: https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surr...e-after-future

Daily Hive has a new article with more "current vs. artistic impressions of future" comparisons than you can shake a stick at.

Three construction contracts still not awarded.. sometime soon, hopefully, if construction is to actually start this year.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Three construction contracts still not awarded.. sometime soon, hopefully, if construction is to actually start this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
Guideway contract was awarded today, not sure when it will be publicly announced.
Seems like Vantage knew about at least one being awarded in December but not publicly announced. Perhaps they're still negotiating at least one of the remaining two?

The Guideway contract is described in the business case as: "[the Guideway contract] is high in value (approximately $1B) and more complex in terms of scope and risk transfer."

So if Vantage is correct, then at least the most high value and complex contract is out of the way. Wouldn't imagine the Stations & Propulsion Power Substations and Trackwork & Systems contracts need to start right away anyways, so a delay signing them by a few months shouldn't have an effect on project delivery (hopefully).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 2:46 AM

Officially we still have just over two weeks left of winter for them to sign/announce the stations contract.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 5:01 AM

Looks amazing, I'm so exited, such a deserved project. Hope they extend it down KGB soon as well. Surrey council approved a once in a lifetime development a few months ago, tons of potential of affordable homes in this area.

https://www.northdeltareporter.com/l...newton-7118602

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
So if Vantage is correct, then at least the most high value and complex contract is out of the way. Wouldn't imagine the Stations & Propulsion Power Substations and Trackwork & Systems contracts need to start right away anyways, so a delay signing them by a few months shouldn't have an effect on project delivery (hopefully).
I hope I was correct when I said that. I have high trust in my source.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
Guideway contract was finally (I think?) announced today:

https://globalnews.ca/news/10343223/...ain-proponent/

Quote:
Early work to start on Surrey-Langley SkyTrain line guideway build team named

The Surrey-Langley SkyTrain project is inching closer to construction.

On Thursday, the province revealed it had selected SkyLink Guideway Partners as its preferred proponent to design, build and finance the project’s elevated guideway and associated roadworks and utilities.

The consortium includes Dragados Canada, Ledcor Investments, Ledcor Mining and SYSTRA International Bridge Technologies.

The province remains in final contract negotiations with the group, but the Ministry of Transportation said the consortium is already set to begin early work preparing for major construction.

That work includes geotechnical investigations, identifying utilities and clearing vegetation.

The project will be built under three separate contracts.

The province remains in talks over bids to build eight new stations along the line and to install electrical systems and trackwork.

When complete, the 16-kilometre extension to the SkyTrain Expo Line will link King Goerge Station to Langley City Centre.

The $4.01-billion extension is slated to open in 2028.
King "Goerge" station by the way, I heard he was German!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 5:42 AM

i thought it was interesting that the longest single-seat ride on the NYC Subway is about 52km, A train. going from downtown Langley - Waterfront would be about 42km.

i know some people say this is commuter rail territory, but i think it works with SkyTrain since the frequencies are so good since they dont need all those drivers.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 8:27 AM

Quote:
i thought it was interesting that the longest single-seat ride on the NYC Subway is about 52km, A train. going from downtown Langley - Waterfront would be about 42km.

i know some people say this is commuter rail territory, but i think it works with SkyTrain since the frequencies are so good since they dont need all those drivers.
The inevitable counterpoint is that Manhattan, et al are much bigger cities than Vancouver.

The inevitable counter-counterpoint is that in this case, it's better to build big and grow into it - we already learned with the Canada Line that the demand is there.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Ultimately the length of a network end-to-end does not promise that a rider will ever want to do the full length. It's just that way because short turning imposes more wear on the switches, and in a non-automated system, there's the possibility for human error.

Realistically, The Skytrain could run all the way out to hope and Whistler if there was a financial incentive to do so. There just isn't.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 1:17 PM

Langley is about the eastern extent Skytrain should ever go. Further out would better be served by commuter rail, and one day if the population / density warrants it Abbotsford can have its own internal urban rail system.

Squamish for sure is commuter rail territory, not Skytrain. Horseshoe Bay is perhaps the furthest in that direction Skytrain could ever realistically go (and even there I feel commuter rail would be better)

Tswwassen and even White Rock are areas that are also far better suited for commuter rail than Skytrain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure