HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 4:17 PM
Resident Moron

Mellow Johnny's is great. LZR was great like 20 years ago. I don't even know what they do there now.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Mellow Johnny's is great. LZR was great like 20 years ago. I don't even know what they do there now.
There was some office space in there. I believe it was also used as yet another private event venue. (How many of those do we need?) What LZR and Austin Music Hall were have largely been replaced by ACL Live now. There's not much to save LZR wise. Time to redevelop it.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 11:53 PM

Several New Towers Could Sprout Across Downtown Austin This Spring

https://austin.towers.net/several-ne...n-this-spring/

The temperature outside is currently cold and dropping, but there’s a new day on the horizon — according to recent city permits and other development activity, we’ll see multiple downtown Austin condo, apartment, and office towers sprout in the coming months like the first flowers of spring. It’s clear that 2022 represents a big year for vertical downtown growth, even though at our current pace we’ve been able to say that nearly every year. Still, this time is a little different, with the potential tallest tower in the state now preparing to emerge from the shadows.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 6:05 PM

^^Awesome! I can't wait to see what impact there towers will have on the skyline! I also love the fact that Austin has built the majority of its towers downtown instead of spread all over the city in multiple highrise districts.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 7:34 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
^^Awesome! I can't wait to see what impact there towers will have on the skyline! I also love the fact that Austin has built the majority of its towers downtown instead of spread all over the city in multiple highrise districts.
I agree, but we also do still need upzoning everywhere for both new highrise areas and “missing middle” housing.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I agree, but we also do still need upzoning everywhere for both new highrise areas and “missing middle” housing.
100%. Eliminating single family zoning would be huge. I have no problem with single family homes, but if someone wants to build a duplex or triplex on the same lot they should be able to. It would help our housing shortage massively.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 5:10 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilliam View Post
100%. Eliminating single family zoning would be huge. I have no problem with single family homes, but if someone wants to build a duplex or triplex on the same lot they should be able to. It would help our housing shortage massively.
Most of Zilker already is.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Most of Zilker already is.
Already is what?

Zilker is almost entirely SF3, which does not allow triplexes.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I agree, upzoning is needed, but in my opinion, without an increase in FAR (currently 40%), a reduction in parking minimums, reduced setbacks, tree regulations (I just had to get a permit and tree review to cut down a large Ligustrum - which is a "bush" NOT on our protected tree list and considered invasive), height requirements, remodeling rules that force people to bring old structures up to new code incentivize blading older homes, and lastly one that is highly overlooked, a certainty from the city that when a developer applies to subdivide a large lot into multiple lots it will be approved (now it takes a truck load of money, a blessing from God or Jeff Jack, and at least a year with no certain outcome even if all rules are followed).....upzoning won't make one bit of a difference.

If you take the average 7000 sqft lot, it doesn't make much sense to build (3) 933 sqft units. (7000/3 x 40%) Most city residential lots are less than 8000 sqft.

10 years ago, builders in Zilker would take an average lot and build 2 units and sell them for $400/ft, now it's more profitable for them to just build one large house with a pool and sell it for $800-1000/ft. As of today, there are 4 SF houses on the market in Zilker...they sell as fast as they are built. In 20 years, Zilker will be untouchable for anyone new...I predict $1500/ft in the next 10 years...can you imagine?

All of this PLUS, council would need to tell the ANC to pound sand....we all know that will never happen. ANC is happy to fight every small change, let alone sweeping changes....and they use emotional scare tactics which are highly effective. As a co-founder of Friends of Zilker in 2012, I know first hand the challenges of fighting the old Austin, self-righteous, anti-everything crowd. The city/media never took FOZ's pro urban opinions over the ZNA. Good luck...

I think if they could get around to raising the FAR to 60% for duplexes/triplexes, and keep everything else as is (and raise the building height 5 feet)....that could make a HUGE difference, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Austin "proper", though I love it so, will one day be home to ONLY very wealthy or property rich (Austin has a lot of these people...not rich with cash...some actually struggling....but sitting on a $500k-1m tear down and won't sell). It's well on its way, and its damn shame. We need to make room for the missing middle.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 6:16 PM

Honestly, that's a great and level-headed approach to the issue @urbancore. It'll take a long time to overrule the entrenched old austin nimbys and implement sweeping change. Increasing the FAR and fixing parking minimums would do a good bit of good.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 9:47 PM

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 9:55 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Fucking bike lane is going to ruin your neighborhood.

Real talk - I fucking hate Rosedale. I lived there and they are the biggest group of NIMBYs I have ever encountered and I live in Zilker.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I will say - my street was marked to be almost doubled in width on that city website, which wouldn't even be possible without taking out houses along the route. I seriously doubt the city is going to be doing any of that. Whoever was in charge of putting this information out to the public really messed up because people are all scared their streets will be turned into 4 lane major roadways in quiet neighborhoods. The city really needs to address this. It just gives NIMBYs more power and ammo.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 10:01 PM

They've lived there for 40 years and they still want it to only serve them for another 40 years? Tell me you're selfish without telling me you're selfish.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
I will say - my street was marked to be almost doubled in width on that city website, which wouldn't even be possible without taking out houses along the route. I seriously doubt the city is going to be doing any of that. Whoever was in charge of putting this information out to the public really messed up because people are all scared their streets will be turned into 4 lane major roadways in quiet neighborhoods. The city really needs to address this. It just gives NIMBYs more power and ammo.
I mean, the city did address this. The diagram of a level 2 street is in the ASMP, and on the ASMP update.

This is what a Level 2 street looks like. It's even the small one on the left in ~70 RoW. It's not a 4 lane major roadway.

https://i2.wp.com/www.kxan.com/wp-co...EVEL-2-WEB.jpg

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...a7b764e05e550d

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I mean, the city did address this. The diagram of a level 2 street is in the ASMP, and on the ASMP update.

This is what a Level 2 street looks like. It's even the small one on the left in ~70 RoW. It's not a 4 lane major roadway.

https://i2.wp.com/www.kxan.com/wp-co...EVEL-2-WEB.jpg

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories...a7b764e05e550d
Right, and my street was marked as needing to be a level 2 street. It's currently ~25 ft wide. People feel alarmed when they see the road they live on may potentially triple in width. I'm no NIMBY, but I feel like the messaging/process/whatever is not great.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Right, and my street was marked as needing to be a level 2 street. It's currently ~25 ft wide. People feel alarmed when they see the road they live on may potentially triple in width. I'm no NIMBY, but I feel like the messaging/process/whatever is not great.
The RoW, not the road.
A level 2 road is not so coincidentally 25 feet wide (pavement)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 12:34 AM

“If bicycle lanes need a Level 2 street, go find a Level 2 street. This is not,” Joe said. (KXAN)

Keep your bikes outta my sight!
And get off my lawn!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 2:42 AM

what a bunch of sad losers

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
They've lived there for 40 years and they still want it to only serve them for another 40 years? Tell me you're selfish without telling me you're selfish.
I've dealt with this a bunch of times in Highland and Crestview. It's almost always the older residents and they'll oppose any change. The worst example was that a run down pawn shop was going to be redeveloped into a restaurant, and the old folks came out of the woodwork to try and stop it -- PARKING! TRAFFIC! PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH THE NEIGHBORHOOD WHEN THERE ARENT SIDEWALKS! AFFORDABILITY! (as if they care about that last one). They can't be reasoned with because they aren't there to have a conversation in good faith, and immediately escalate any conversation to life and death stakes. Unfortunately Covid killed that project and they got what they wanted.

What really frustrates me is that they're wasting all of this time and energy on a losing battle. They don't understand that the city is going to change and that while they may win some temporary delays, they're already unhappy with the way things have changed and are only going to be more unhappy with the way things are inevitably going. I do have some sympathy for people who have lived here for a long time and love their homes, especially if they are disabled or income restricted and will have trouble moving -- but on the other hand almost all of them can sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars (a half mil wouldn't be uncommon). I just think these people would be happier if they left. Instead they stubbornly refuse and make us all more miserable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin