HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Looks like some of the apartments proposed for downtown Mesa.

Is there anything noteworthy about the building that currently resides there? I bet it's old but I don't think it's anything significant. As always, I hate to see retail get removed but the trade off for apartments and unsightly parking lot I think is significant enough to replace 3 shops. Hope the current tenants find new residence close by.
Yes, the proposal is very similar to the Habitat Proposal in downtown Mesa:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Yes, the proposal is very similar to the Habitat Proposal in downtown Mesa:

Similar is a funny way to say identical

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 5:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Similar is a funny way to say identical

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 2:47 PM

[QUOTE=airomero83;8130504]I don't believe that was ever the intention. The new space at Muse anyways is much better/bigger location.

This was information gotten from Robert at Forno so I would say it was definitely the initial intention at least. Makes me sad to see it move. Even though I live almost directly behing Cibo, Forno was my go to italian in the neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
I posted this back in May 2017...took a pic from "The Roosevelt Times" mailer. Haven't seen a better quality rendering since...
The fencing around the lot has an updated rendering. Just realized the property doesn't extend all the way to Fillmore...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 3:11 AM

Quote:
The fencing around the lot has an updated rendering. Just realized the property doesn't extend all the way to Fillmore...

Yeah very awkward, hopefully it can be landscaped and turned into a small park or smothering, too small for anything to really get developed

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 4:19 PM

I thought that was the piece that the group developing The Stewart bought for the 14 story tower.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
I thought that was the piece that the group developing The Stewart bought for the 14 story tower.
That's going on the SWC of this intersection

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
That's going on the SWC of this intersection
Ah, my bad.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah very awkward, hopefully it can be landscaped and turned into a small park or smothering, too small for anything to really get developed
A park in that spot feels like the worst possible use. That Circle K next door is already a draw for drug use in the area. Now we get to add benches and finished open space? I love me some parks but this strikes me as a bad place for one.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMancini View Post
A park in that spot feels like the worst possible use. That Circle K next door is already a draw for drug use in the area. Now we get to add benches and finished open space? I love me some parks but this strikes me as a bad place for one.
100% agree. That Circle K has got to go

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMancini View Post
Its only like that now as a result of being surrounded by empty lots, as those lots become populated the homeless wont be as big of a problem.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:49 AM
Skyriser

I have no idea why the owner of that lot and the one kitty-corner won't sell them. He's basically killed his chances of anything going there with the Urban Living development.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Its only like that now as a result of being surrounded by empty lots, as those lots become populated the homeless wont be as big of a problem.
I don't know. I've lived at 4th ave and Fillmore for 4 years, 6th ave and Roosevelt for 3 before that, and Regency House for 4 before that. I've seen a lot change downtown in that time but I will say that while the homeless population downtown has changed with that population growth, it hasn't been for the better.

I don't think homelessness has increased or decreased (purely observational) but I have noticed an aggressiveness that wasn't once there. It's only recently that I've at times felt worried living downtown. There seems to be a higher level of high that comes with current downtown homelessness that didn't exist in the past. In the past I worried about dookies while walking in my alley. Now I don't worry because I'm just too afraid to walk down it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:31 PM

I agree, I lived downtown from 2006 - 2017 and have had my office downtown since 2013. Only within about the past year have I even made note of homeless people - I used to see so few that they were just part of the landscape but lately my walks to lunch pass by encampments or clusters of them.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I agree, I lived downtown from 2006 - 2017 and have had my office downtown since 2013. Only within about the past year have I even made note of homeless people - I used to see so few that they were just part of the landscape but lately my walks to lunch pass by encampments or clusters of them.
I think you office across the street from where I live. I'm in Metro 12.

It's not the homeless that are causing me alarm. It's the level of aggressiveness that's causing me alarm. We used to have a guy that "loved under our covered parking in the back. Every night he would bring a sleeping bag and some other assorted living supplies and camp out. He would keep an eye on the cars and acted like a good neighbor In the morning he would be gone. This was for about a year. It got to the point I knew his name, his story, I'd bring him cold water during the summer and bring him food. He got an apartment with the help of his mosque eventually and we went and got him most of the things one would need to sustain in an apartment and had the store I worked at at the time donate a few pieces of furniture to help him get on his feet.

This was indicative of the people I had met downtown who were homeless at the time. The other day I was walking home from the light rail and a guy with a captains hat and a handful of lighters comes up and insists that I know him. When I replied "no I don't think so" he calls me a liar which quickly escalated to him yelling at me that he is going to kill me.

In 10 years I had never experienced that level of hostility and aggressiveness from a homeless guy. But this is not the first time within the last 6 months that I have. Something's changing with services around downtown and whatever it is, it's not for the better.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 4:53 PM

Not far from Metro 12.

I don't engage them and usually they tire out pretty quickly when you just pretend they don't exist. It may sound insensitive but when someone's bugging me I don't want to acknowledge their existence and encourage them.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Not far from Metro 12.

I don't engage them and usually they tire out pretty quickly when you just pretend they don't exist. It may sound insensitive but when someone's bugging me I don't want to acknowledge their existence and encourage them.
That's what I do too. Homelessness is a sad issue and a problem, but the majority of homeless people are seriously mentally ill, and you attempting to help them on the street is only opening yourself up to harm.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
That's what I do too. Homelessness is a sad issue and a problem, but the majority of homeless people are seriously mentally ill, and you attempting to help them on the street is only opening yourself up to harm.
Speaking of the aggressively mentally ill and homeless:

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/475816002

The house on Wiletta he broke into before moving on to murder someone was my sister-in-law's house. Scary stuff, and obviously tragic for the ultimate victim. Something wrong when he has that criminal history, and he's found incompetent to stand trial, only to end up back on the streets.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2018, 9:56 PM

Wanted to post this...snooping around on LoopNet. New complex called LEX on Portland, not sure if this has been posted yet, but it is currently proposed. Will replace an aging apartment complex at Portland and 7th Street. Exciting stuff!
http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/536-E...1242/?framed=1

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest