HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
I think we've somewhat lost the plot when it comes to the goal of rehab for people with addictions.

I recently saw a story on CBC about a pilot project in NS where they offered a safe supply of alcohol to a group of addicts so they no longer had to spend their days panhandling or potentially committing petty theft to fund their addiction. But then, the group behind the pilot ran into an issue where they realized the addicts were now bored, no longer having to spend their days working to obtain booze. So, the group set up an arts and crafts program to keep them busy.

While watching this story, it really made me realize, have we just given up on the idea of weaning people away from their addictions and re-integrating them as contributing members of society? The possibility of that wasn't even mentioned once during the story. And I know it comes across as Tory "get a job you freeloader" talk but at the end of the day, that is fundamentally how our society is structured.

I feel a similar mindset is applicable not just here in Ottawa, but across Canada. We're happy offering a safe supply but we don't dare forcing these people into programs. I'm all for harm reduction but we really need to take a second and ask what the end goal is, because I suspect people on opposite ends of the aisle have different visions, and that's something that needs to be addressed.

Edit: should've linked the story, so here it is. Reading it again, it almost comes across as satire.
Ottawa's biggest homeless shelter (in the Market) has had such an alcohol harm-reduction program for a number of years. I gather that it has been rather successful, although I've seen no information about outcomes.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Jul 20, 2023 at 2:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2023, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay31 View Post
It may partly be a rebound from all of the hugely expensive and failed "War on drugs" from the 90s, when it was primarily viewed as a policing problem.... all that did was drive the drug trade even further into organize crime, making the overall crime rate higher. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I also doubt that rebounding back to that will actually address the problem...if anything, it will probably make it worse. I recall NYC in the early 90s, which was very heavy on police AND a worse mess than you see in the market.

For what it's worth, I think the situation in the market is vastly overstated in the Ottawa media, on r/ottawa, etc. I spend a lot of weekends down there, and it's packed with people and families. Any time you have a lot of people in one area, you'll have social problems...and the market is ground zero for that in Ottawa. Most of Ottawa is suburban (you can guess where they send their homeless) with a few rich neighbourhoods.. I was in Montreal on the weekend, in areas busier than the market - and you'll similarly see addicts, mentally ill, homeless, etc. That's not to say that more shouldn't be done, just that it's not the disaster area people make out... more people, more social issues.
That's a major issue in society nowadays; over corrections. And that's how we ended up with such a divide between the right and the left. The majority of us are probably in the middle, but our voices are downed by the two extremes.

For sure, local media isn't helping. It's not just the Market, but the O-Train and every other municipal issue. They're incapable of producing positive stories or nuanced coverage. It's all negative, all the time. if nothing negative happens one day, they'll recycle the same trash for several days.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 7:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That's a major issue in society nowadays; over corrections. And that's how we ended up with such a divide between the right and the left. The majority of us are probably in the middle, but our voices are downed by the two extremes.

For sure, local media isn't helping. It's not just the Market, but the O-Train and every other municipal issue. They're incapable of producing positive stories or nuanced coverage. It's all negative, all the time. if nothing negative happens one day, they'll recycle the same trash for several days.
I'd disagree that the media plays that big a role.

I was a market rat for a number of years in my youth. It wasn't like it is today. It's not at all at the point where I'd avoid the area (at least not during the day or into mid-evening) but it's clearly an area that's headed in the wrong direction.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 7:11 PM

Quote:
That's probably a little true, but at the same time local governments give them a lot of material. How many cities have multiple failures of their main transit system multiple times a year? How many cities concentrate all of their homeless services near one of their major tourist attractions?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
That's probably a little true, but at the same time local governments give them a lot of material. How many cities have multiple failures of their main transit system multiple times a year? How many cities concentrate all of their homeless services near one of their major tourist attractions?
From what I hear, TTC and STM have weekly issues. Nothing that shuts down the system for days or weeks (at least, not to the same frequency as Ottawa), but it happens. And of course, Crosstown in Toronto, Valley Line in Edmonton have experienced major issues and delays beyond what we had seen on Line 1.

I'm unfamiliar with how concentrated the homeless services are in other cities. The only other area in Canada with major issues that I know of is Vancouver's East Hastings.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Wholeheartedly agree.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2023, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that and the fact that every jackass with a Twitter account thinks we need their take on complex social issues. Like you say, the loudest voices aren’t representative of the majority nor are they the most informed or intelligent voices. They are just the loudest.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 4:05 PM

Looks like Timmins is considering moving their homeless shelter out of the core.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-rise-in-crime

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay31 View Post
It may partly be a rebound from all of the hugely expensive and failed "War on drugs" from the 90s, when it was primarily viewed as a policing problem.... all that did was drive the drug trade even further into organize crime, making the overall crime rate higher. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I also doubt that rebounding back to that will actually address the problem...if anything, it will probably make it worse. I recall NYC in the early 90s, which was very heavy on police AND a worse mess than you see in the market.

For what it's worth, I think the situation in the market is vastly overstated in the Ottawa media, on r/ottawa, etc. I spend a lot of weekends down there, and it's packed with people and families. Any time you have a lot of people in one area, you'll have social problems...and the market is ground zero for that in Ottawa. Most of Ottawa is suburban (you can guess where they send their homeless) with a few rich neighbourhoods.. I was in Montreal on the weekend, in areas busier than the market - and you'll similarly see addicts, mentally ill, homeless, etc. That's not to say that more shouldn't be done, just that it's not the disaster area people make out... more people, more social issues.
No...I can't.

Suburban Ottawa is STILL Ottawa and Kanata or Orleans or any other suburb have no special policing or powers to 'send' homeless anywhere.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 10:38 PM

Secure bike parking

Edmonton is offering free secure bike parking to help reinvigorate their downtown. It's not a huge pilot nor is it available in multiple locations, but it could help bring more folks to the market if they know their bike was going to be waiting for them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...nton-1.6928618

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperaccount View Post
No...I can't.

Suburban Ottawa is STILL Ottawa and Kanata or Orleans or any other suburb have no special policing or powers to 'send' homeless anywhere.
Yes it's a ridiculous statement. The idea they are people living in Kanata who missed a rent payment so head downtown is also very wrong. The vast majority are not from Ottawa. Don't know why they came to Ottawa and if homelessness came before or after their arrival here.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2023, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takingoff View Post
Edmonton is offering free secure bike parking to help reinvigorate their downtown. It's not a huge pilot nor is it available in multiple locations, but it could help bring more folks to the market if they know their bike was going to be waiting for them.

I bike approx 50km a day from Kanata - Downtown return, for pleasure. Not once have i visited a retailer because of the rampant bike theft problems. IMO, secure bike storage should have been a built in amenity at selected downtown LRT stations. Bike thefts Ottawa heatmap https://i.redd.it/gjpt5gux28u91.png

I recall seeing a similar initiative to Edmonton's in Victoria this spring.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2023, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takingoff View Post

And we charge for secure bike parking at like, three transit stations? while park and rides are free.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 11:07 PM

So a new Starbucks is opening in the market where the old Starbucks Reserve use to be go figure

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 12:34 PM

An example of a modern market building in a heritage district. I'm afraid that if/when the parking garage is redeveloped, we'll get it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
The revamped Market St. (done a couple years ago) and new St. Lawrence Market North building in Toronto are looking good:

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2023/08...t-street.53549

Old Posted Aug 28, 2023, 8:42 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New ByWard Market authority planning outreach, advertising for official launch next spring

Mia Jensen, OBJ
August 25, 2023 3:38 PM ET

As the traditional farmers market season winds down, the new ByWard Market District Authority is rolling up its sleeves and getting to work in anticipation of its official launch next spring.

In June, city council approved a staff report that set in motion a major revitalization effort for the ByWard and Parkdale markets. Under the recommendations, the ByWard Market BIA and the municipal corporation that oversaw the area, Ottawa Markets, were dissolved to form a new municipal corporation called the ByWard Market District Authority. Its mandate includes “enhancing the resident and visitor experience” and supporting property and business interests in the ByWard and Parkdale markets.

According to executive director Zachary Dayler, the new organization is currently in its “startup phase.”

The board of directors is focused on recruiting more members and a new business advisory committee is in the works, he said, while the authority works on its internal structure. By the end of September, Dayler said the BIA and Ottawa Markets websites will be merged, with services such as the business directory and vendor applications available under one banner.

Over the next few months, the authority will also start releasing branding elements and marketing materials.

Dayler said the authority’s official public launch is expected to take place in May 2024, just as the farmers markets reopen for the season.

“It’s an amalgamation, really, of our work and the BIA’s work into a central authority,” he said. “These groups have invested a lot of time and energy into the area and what we’re doing is evolving into the next phase of work. The energy of those two entities is going to be the driving force in the next phase of reinvigorating our ByWard Market.”

When it comes to figuring out a marketing strategy, Dayler said community-building and trust are top of mind.

“When we talk about public markets, we instantly arrive at that connecting space, where people come together,” he said. “There’s a lot of shifting demographics, not only in Ottawa, but in every city across Canada. Over the last few years, we’ve worked with many great partners to be a welcoming space because that’s really what Ottawa is about, as the capital, but also as a city where people come to connect.”

Dayler said he and his team are working to expand cultural programming to reflect the diversity of the city and its newcomers. They’re also looking for new outreach opportunities.

“It’s about creating a space that’s comfortable and welcoming for all communities in Ottawa,” he said. “Now, that’s not easy to achieve. You have to build trust within these communities. You have to build support and be authentic. The Market is part of an ecosystem.”

The strategy also needs to account for some perspectives that the Market is unsafe.

“Safety and security is both a perceived and real concern for people,” he said. “It’s a reality across all cities in Canada. It’s important that we approach challenges of mental health, crime and drug issues with respect.”

Under city staff recommendations, the authority’s mandate includes “undertaking initiatives that improve community safety and well-being,” something local business owners have been calling for.

Dayler said the organization’s goal is to collaborate with the city and area partners to address concerns and have the resources needed to support individuals affected by multiple ongoing crises in the Market, including homelessness and addiction.

That includes a community liaison program, which will launch in 2024, to increase on-street support.

“We want to begin talking around one table,” he said. “Some of the issues we’re not going to solve on our own. We need to be a partner at the table in helping move solutions forward.”

As the summer season dwindles, Dayler said the team will spend the next few months focused on lining up administrative affairs and building up staff. By early spring, the plan is to start pushing out advertisements and radio campaigns in preparation for the official launch.

Dayler added that they’re also working to establish partnerships with groups that want to do programming in the area. He said the ultimate goal is for the Market’s new slate of vibrant events and activities to become the focal point of the marketing strategy.

“We want to be talking about the events, not the group that’s doing them. As we go forward, I hope that’s the real sign of our success, that you’re seeing more and more activities that make you want to come down and check things out,” he said. “There’s a lot of work ahead. We’re rolling up our sleeves and getting at it so we can deliver an exciting project to the city. We have a real opportunity over the next five years to put some good sweat into it and hopefully that work will pay off for the next 200 (years).”

https://obj.ca/new-byward-market-aut...h-next-spring/

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 1:12 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Merchants air frustrations about state of ByWard Market
Conditions are trending in wrong direction, business owners say

Joseph Tunney · CBC News
Posted: Aug 30, 2023 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: 5 hours ago

During a meeting that was at times loud and emotionally charged, merchants aired their frustrations about worsening conditions in the ByWard Market.

For many present at the meeting Tuesday, drug use and homelessness in the area only seem to be getting worse with little relief in sight.

"It's not a scary place only at night," said Chantal Biro, who runs the fashion boutique Schad on Sussex Drive. "Now it's becoming a scary place during the day."

She said her team has had two break-ins in as many weeks, including someone stealing $1,000 worth of merchandise.

Biro, a decades-long tenant in the area, said she became concerned after learning her neighbours' windows had been smashed.

"Now I'm worried. I've taken things out of my window so that things aren't as attractive to grab," she said.

Retailers requested an audience with Mayor Mark Sutcliffe, but instead met with city staff, the ward councillor, the head of the ByWard Market District Authority and a representative from the mayor's office.

The dozens of business owners in attendance raised frustrations about a wide range of topics, including bylaw and police enforcement, parking, security and a gradual loss of the activities that once drew families and shoppers to the market.

"I guess what I'm hearing here is people saying 'What is the immediate plan for safety?'" said Phil Emond, a gallerist with the Gordon Harrison Canadian Landscape Gallery on Sussex who spearheaded the meeting.

"We just don't need to talk about it. We need a change now. What's going to change?"

Homelessness and drug addiction are major challenges in the ByWard Market, with many who were in attendance feeling those realities have taken a toll on several nearby blocks

But how the city and others should tackle these problems isn't always clear.

"Enforcement is not always the key," said Const. Sébastien Lemay, a community police officer assigned to the area.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Lemay said it's becoming "very challenging" to police the market, but echoed sentiments of colleagues who have discussed how arresting people isn't always the solution.

"We have made connections with different agencies, different service providers," he said. "So again, it's looking at these individuals that might struggle with addiction, and seeing which services can help them."

Kalin McCluskey, director of policy with the mayor's office, discussed upcoming changes to 911 and said a separate phone number that will act as an alternative for mental health issues will also be rolling out "within the upcoming months."

"So when things are in distress, you can call it and get a tailored response to that person in crisis, recognizing that not every call is a police call," she said.

The city hopes one solution to revitalizing the market comes in its latest governing change: the ByWard Market District Authority, a newly formed municipal corporation that will act to amalgamate and replace Ottawa Markets and the dissolving BIA.

"The view is this is our most special part of Ottawa," said Court Curry, who works with the city's economic development department.

"It should be our premier, most elevated neighborhood, but there are multiple people with competing visions, competing priorities, competing advocacy in a very small space."

The ByWard Market District Authority has been given as much autonomy and as many possibilities to generate revenue as possible, he said, adding it should run almost as its own village.

The authority will begin to ramp up its work come September and October, including establishing a business advisory committee and re-establishing a community safety and security committee.

"I also have to acknowledge we're late to the game on this," said Zachary Dayler, the authority's executive director who served the same role for Ottawa Markets. "We're probably five [to] 10 years behind where we need to be."

"But we're here and so we're going to move forward."

Biro says simply increasing security would help business owners feel safer as a short-term solution.

In the long-term, she believes the concentration of social services and the types of businesses that populate the market should be reconsidered.

"I know there's no easy solution," she said. "Otherwise, I think we would have already solved it."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...rime-1.6951243

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 2:46 PM
You call that a knife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Retailers requested an audience with Mayor Mark Sutcliffe, but instead met with city staff, the ward councillor, the head of the ByWard Market District Authority and a representative from the mayor's office.
another mayor who only shows up for photo ops

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonsy View Post
another mayor who only shows up for photo ops
Beige Pants 2.0

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 3:51 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

ByWard Market merchants disappointed with new police centre's location
Some store owners worry the centre won't help safety concerns

CBC News
Posted: Oct 26, 2023 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: 8 hours ago

Some ByWard Market store owners say they're frustrated with a police board decision to set up a new "neighbourhood operations centre" in the Rideau Centre, citing concerns about its ability to address ongoing safety issues in the area.

On Monday, the Ottawa Police Services Board unanimously approved plans for a nearly 3,000-square-foot storefront inside the mall, across from the Rideau light rail station.

The board agreed to a five-year lease with CF Rideau Centre starting Feb. 15, 2024.

A report presented before the board said the centre, a city-led initiative, would give neighbourhood police officers a space to meet and collaborate with community groups.

"We're shocked about where the location is going to be," said Phil Émond, owner of the Gordon Harrison Canadian Landscape Gallery at Sussex Drive and Clarence Street.

"It's gonna push everyone else in the ByWard Market and we're going to be left alone one more time."

Émond said many of his clients repeatedly tell him they feel unsafe walking in the market — causing him to worry his business and others might be seriously impacted if safety goes unaddressed.

It's a concern Émond said he shares with at least 25 other merchants in the area who came together to write a letter to the mayor. CBC News received a copy of the letter.

"Retailers were hoping that the centre would be located near the Ottawa [sign] on York Street," the letter reads.

"They were also hoping that there would be police officers on foot walking the ByWard Market — not being physically located inside a center, but having a strong presence, and addressing the situation in the ByWard market as they occur."

The letter said a comprehensive approach to addressing homelessness, mental health issues and drugs in the area is lacking.

Émond said merchants such as himself have been left with more questions than answers as to the role of the neighbourhood operations centre. Store owners have also received no communication or clarity from the city, he added.

Certain services are much-needed in the neighbourhood, he said, and he hopes the centre will provide them.

He added that several businesses in the area have experienced an increasing number of thefts and break-ins.

"We need more video cameras at major intersections. We need this place to be lit at night," Émond said.

"We need people to be here, to talk to people if they encounter a problem with someone. We need experts to tell us how to deal with those situations, because we certainly don't have the expertise to deal with that."

Carmen Montemurro, a receptionist at Silver Fox Barbershop, agreed. She said she wishes there had been a consultation process with store owners before the location for the centre was decided.

"The Rideau Centre [location] is not going to help us at all," Montemurro said.

The purpose of the neighbourhood operations centre might have been better served if it had been set up near York or Clarence streets, she said, adding she remains hopeful the city and the police board will change their minds.

Ottawa Mayor Mark Sutcliffe previously told CBC the centre is not a police station, but a place where officers would be available.

Sutcliffe campaigned on a promise to increase the police presence in the ByWard Market.

On Wednesday, Sutcliffe told CBC he's received feedback from some merchants in the area who say they're glad to see the progress. He acknowledged, however, that "some people may not feel it's the ideal location."

"To me, it's not about what happens in the office. It's the fact that there will be police officers available from that location who will be able to work in the ByWard Market," Sutcliffe said.

"The location of the office is less important than the activities on the ground, and the work that they will be able to do in that community."

With files from Avanthika Anand and Radio-Canada's Frédéric Pepin

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ntre-1.7008386

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues