HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Will the owners be forced to sell if they don’t proceed with the agreed upon development?
The deal gives the city the option to purchase the parking lot back at fair market value if Galco does not develop the property.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2024, 11:30 PM

I would say that since we haven't seen anything on the CCD website (right?) they'd be hard pressed to start construction this year. Will they apply for another delay prior to their deadline? maybe, they've spent money on renders and such. But the cost of those pales in comparison to the amount they stand to make when they sell at "fair market value."

The property 'technically' sold for $790k in 2017, and is currently assessed at $915k.

Not a stretch to think fair market value would come in around the $1.2mil +/- range.

So Galco stands to make some coin for having sat on this property and potentially busting the agreement.

The city can purchase the property back, per the agreement, and then send out an RFP for potential developers. And hopefully something more substantive comes out of all this.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
I would say that since we haven't seen anything on the CCD website (right?) they'd be hard pressed to start construction this year. Will they apply for another delay prior to their deadline? maybe, they've spent money on renders and such. But the cost of those pales in comparison to the amount they stand to make when they sell at "fair market value."

The property 'technically' sold for $790k in 2017, and is currently assessed at $915k.

Not a stretch to think fair market value would come in around the $1.2mil +/- range.

So Galco stands to make some coin for having sat on this property and potentially busting the agreement.

The city can purchase the property back, per the agreement, and then send out an RFP for potential developers. And hopefully something more substantive comes out of all this.
Good point. What if Galco backed out and a new developer decided to add a couple of more floors to what was previously proposed? We've seen before where a developer said that more floors were necessary to make a project financially viable. And also the new developer of St. Bernard's Place is building it taller than the previous proposal.

One way or another, it would be great to finally see something concrete happening with this file that's been dragging on for years. A new downtown building replacing a parking lot would be most welcome.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Good point. What if Galco backed out and a new developer decided to add a couple of more floors to what was previously proposed? We've seen before where a developer said that more floors were necessary to make a project financially viable. And also the new developer of St. Bernard's Place is building it taller than the previous proposal.

One way or another, it would be great to finally see something concrete happening with this file that's been dragging on for years. A new downtown building replacing a parking lot would be most welcome.
Just thinking about this Robinson St. parking lot building again. It was approved for 6 floors with underground parking. So with the size of the lot, could they really go any taller? Their plan was for 84 units, and the current parking lot only has 70 spaces.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 9:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Just thinking about this Robinson St. parking lot building again. It was approved for 6 floors with underground parking. So with the size of the lot, could they really go any taller? Their plan was for 84 units, and the current parking lot only has 70 spaces.
The size and shape of the lot is problematic, as well as it's proximity to the CNR mainline. I doubt that any replacement development here could be much larger than what Galco proposed.

I wonder if the city and province would consider an affordable housing building here?

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The size and shape of the lot is problematic, as well as it's proximity to the CNR mainline. I doubt that any replacement development here could be much larger than what Galco proposed.

I wonder if the city and province would consider an affordable housing building here?
I went back and read a couple of CBC articles and apparently the railway line setback isn't a problem - fortunately.
Quote: "McMonagle Avenue, which runs between the tracks and the property, means there's enough separation."

I don't know if they'd consider affordable housing on this lot. (Assuming the city purchases the property.) My gut tells me they'd rather have a developer construct a mixed use building like the one Galco proposed.

Only time will tell what happens. It's a prime location - we need to get rid of that parking lot!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 5:52 PM

I realized looking on google maps, when coming in from the Highway past Bass Pro, all these new developments will change the skyline from that view. With St. Bernard’s place and the infinity building. Those two will change it and then followed by the other developments planned for the Assumption area. I’m excited to see how much it changes!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
I realized looking on google maps, when coming in from the Highway past Bass Pro, all these new developments will change the skyline from that view. With St. Bernard’s place and the infinity building. Those two will change it and then followed by the other developments planned for the Assumption area. I’m excited to see how much it changes!
I know there are a lot of big projects slated for the Assumption area, but honestly, even with just St. Bernard's Place and Infinity, it's already a monumental change to the skyline and urban atmosphere. These are the projects I really wish reach fruition as intended. The others are a nice bonus!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 9:22 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by new kid in town View Post
I know there are a lot of big projects slated for the Assumption area, but honestly, even with just St. Bernard's Place and Infinity, it's already a monumental change to the skyline and urban atmosphere. These are the projects I really wish reach fruition as intended. The others are a nice bonus!
Good time to be alive in Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 10:08 PM

Even with all the projects that have come to public attention, there's still a lot of vacant land/parking lots in the downtown core.

My pet peeves:
1. The vacant eyesore at 1222 Main Street (Crombie)
2. The huge ocean of asphalt across from Heritage Court
3. The old telegraph building next to the Avenir Center

Three prime locations that would be ideal for development and would greatly enhance the downtown core.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 7:23 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Opening of the Taverna Greek restaurant on Main Street has been delayed until March.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Even with all the projects that have come to public attention, there's still a lot of vacant land/parking lots in the downtown core.

My pet peeves:

Three prime locations that would be ideal for development and would greatly enhance the downtown core.
Not to say this is the optimal way to solve it, but what if at least one of those is made into a multi-level parking building? As much as I want all the downtown core plots to be developed into respectable mid or high rises, we will expect parking downtown to eventually become trickier, so a massive parking facility might be a way to proactively solve that. I surmise as our downtown becomes more bustling and attractive, we will get more people from elsewhere in the province, no?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 2:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

My pet peeves:

I have a solution that could take care of the Telegraph Building and 1222 Main in one fell swoop.

NB is set to host the 2029 Canada Summer Games. I think Moncton has a good chance of being the host city. Saint John held the summer games the last time, and got some neat infrastructure out of it.

To host the games, Moncton would need a brand new aquatic centre, complete with a diving facility and a 50 metre competition pool.

I posit that we construct the pool complex on the vacant lot next to the Avenir Centre, including the lot where the Telegraph Building sits. I'm pretty sure it's big enough.

I think a downtown location for this facility would be ideal, and by siting it immediately adjacent to the Avenir Centre, you would develop some tremendous synergies there.

Just think - between the Avenir Centre and a new competition grade swimming and diving complex, this would become the premier venue in all of Atlantic Canada for indoor athletic events, shows and concerts. The surrounding area is already responding with new hotels and restaurants in a supportive capacity. This process would only accelerate if the pool complex were built here.

Speaking of which, if the aquatic centre is built here, then Crombie could convert (and/or expand) 1222 Main into a hotel, and connect it directly to the aquatic centre. There is no reason why the two buildings could not be interconnected, and this would be ideal for competitors and team officials to get back and forth from the competition facilities and their rooms. The ground floor of the complex could be made over to accommodate retail/commercial space.

What do you guys think of my idea???

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 2:53 AM
I Rise Again

Quote:
I have a solution that could take care of the Telegraph Building and 1222 Main in one fell swoop.

NB is set to host the 2029 Canada Summer Games. I think Moncton has a good chance of being the host city. Saint John held the summer games the last time, and got some neat infrastructure out of it.

To host the games, Moncton would need a brand new aquatic centre, complete with a diving facility and a 50 metre competition pool.

I posit that we construct the pool complex on the vacant lot next to the Avenir Centre, including the lot where the Telegraph Building sits. I'm pretty sure it's big enough.

I think a downtown location for this facility would be ideal, and by siting it immediately adjacent to the Avenir Centre, you would develop some tremendous synergies there.

Just think - between the Avenir Centre and a new competition grade swimming and diving complex, this would become the premier venue in all of Atlantic Canada for indoor athletic events, shows and concerts. The surrounding area is already responding with new hotels and restaurants in a supportive capacity. This process would only accelerate if the pool complex were built here.

Speaking of which, if the aquatic centre is built here, then Crombie could convert (and/or expand) 1222 Main into a hotel, and connect it directly to the aquatic centre. There is no reason why the two buildings could not be interconnected, and this would be ideal for competitors and team officials to get back and forth from the competition facilities and their rooms. The ground floor of the complex could be made over to accommodate retail/commercial space.

Off the charts. I couldn't have imagined such a great ideal out of these parcels of land.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Send this to Events Moncton or City Hall ASAP

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 1:20 PM

This whole area should be re-designed. There's so much surface parking - a lot of it going unused. A parking structure would be a logical element to add to any master plan of the area. An aquatic center and getting rid of the old telegraph building would be an incredible addition next to the Avenir center. The synergy would be fantastic.

And rejuvenating 1222 Main Street would a no brainer. A hotel wouldn't be out of the question, as Crombie already manages Scotia Square in Halifax which includes Hotel Halifax. I'm not sure that converting the whole building to hotel rooms would be the best option as there already are a lot of hotel rooms close by. Maybe a residential component on the upper floors, and of course ground floor commercial/retail.

The whole area could be a crown jewel for downtown Moncton.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 2:39 PM

Quote:
This whole area should be re-designed. There's so much surface parking - a lot of it going unused. A parking structure would be a logical element to add to any master plan of the area. An aquatic center and getting rid of the old telegraph building would be an incredible addition next to the Avenir center. The synergy would be fantastic.

And rejuvenating 1222 Main Street would a no brainer. A hotel wouldn't be out of the question, as Crombie already manages Scotia Square in Halifax which includes Hotel Halifax. I'm not sure that converting the whole building to hotel rooms would be the best option as there already are a lot of hotel rooms close by. Maybe a residential component on the upper floors, and of course ground floor commercial/retail.

The whole area could be a crown jewel for downtown Moncton.
I think idea of combining a hotel with condos or apartments is one that has proven successful in other locations. The steady income stream from longterm occupants can help smooth the seasonal ups and downs of the hotel side while access to hotel services (maid/laundry services, room service, onsite bar and restaurant) can make the residences more attractive.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 3:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I think idea of combining a hotel with condos or apartments is one that has proven successful in other locations. The steady income stream from longterm occupants can help smooth the seasonal ups and downs of the hotel side while access to hotel services (maid/laundry services, room service, onsite bar and restaurant) can make the residences more attractive.
Five Five Queen in Moncton functions like this.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Five Five Queen in Moncton functions like this.
Interesting, I did not know something like this existed in Moncton. Is it up and operating or still undergoing final construction? What's the hotel brand?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 3:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Interesting, I did not know something like this existed in Moncton. Is it up and operating or still undergoing final construction? What's the hotel brand?
Hotel is Canvas, part of the Tapestry brand of Hilton hotels.

The onsite restaurant is Gahan House , which does room service to both hotel guests and condo residents. There is also a rooftop bar as well (Palette Cocktail Bar).

Yes, the condo residents can organize cleaning services through the hotel as well (for a price).

The hotel has been operational for about the last three years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces