HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 5:17 PM

City council approved $23mil for that dumbass bridge across Northside Drive to MBS. They could have funded complete streets for miles along northside drive instead. Not to mention they funded more than $10mil more than the initial $12.9 approval, both of which below the $30mil estimate requested. Terrible financial stewards and even worse for missed opportunity to improve quality of life for several neighborhoods.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...trip=1&vwsrc=0

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:05 PM

The Interlock looks great (and nice RR reference in the name!) so long as that hedge maze along 14th is purely artistic license! How about a sidewalk instead?!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
Any tea on the final height of the tallest?
All I got was 50+ stories. No definitive height.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
All I got was 50+ stories. No definitive height.
Oh wow oh wow. So the thread saying 32 stories should definitely be changed!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 11:11 PM

Could you guys explain what this 50+ story thing is, call me lazy? Thanks..

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Could you guys explain what this 50+ story thing is, call me lazy? Thanks..
No handouts for the lazy!

Could y'all imagine if 1105, 1125, opus, and yoo on peachtree went up at the same time? Bonkers.

That said, I know we haven't heard about that last one in a bit and tbh with all the new housing along 13th i'd probably prefer extending the street grid and put in a pedestrian plaza on either side rather than the latest 1138 design...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
No handouts for the lazy!

Could y'all imagine if 1105, 1125, opus, and yoo on peachtree went up at the same time? Bonkers.

That said, I know we haven't heard about that last one in a bit and tbh with all the new housing along 13th i'd probably prefer extending the street grid and put in a pedestrian plaza on either side rather than the latest 1138 design...
Or another thought... put the tower up on stilts like the oceanwide project in SF. https://www.fosterandpartners.com/pr...enter/#gallery

Pedestrian connectivey + a tower = win win

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
Or another thought... put the tower up on stilts like the oceanwide project in SF. https://www.fosterandpartners.com/pr...enter/#gallery

I am not opposed to this! Just imagine it’s highly unlikely for Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaG8R View Post
Firestone has been fully shut down as well. What were the most recent announced plans for that spot? I remember a hotel years ago but I'm sure that's not the case any more.
I think it's this, Novel Buckhead by Crescent Communities:

https://www.crescentcommunities.com/...ly/novel-lenox

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:19 PM

Hyatt Place Downtown

Construction fencing has gone up around old midcentury school building on Luckie Street downtown (across from Aquarium) and lot next door.

Site sold in December and plans called for Hyatt Place. See most recent rendering:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
I think it's this, Novel Buckhead by Crescent Communities:

https://www.crescentcommunities.com/...ly/novel-lenox
The Crescent tower didn't touch the Firestone site previously but could imagine them reworking some site access with the new property owners to maximize the retail they're trying to put in on that corner.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post

725 Ponce is doing this to connect the Ford Factory & Phase II of the project to access the BeltLine. The key is programming the space with proper access to light and views.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
MetLife Inc. has submitted plans for the first phase of a nearly 9-acre mixed-use project on the northern edge of Midtown, including a 350-unit apartment building and roughly 25-story office tower.

The project at 1295 Spring Street is being led by MetLife Investment Management, the asset management business for the insurance giant. Jones Lang LaSalle Inc. is overseeing leasing and project management.

MetLife began assembling land at 17th, Spring and West Peachtree more than a decade ago, and long-range plans for the site have been in the news off-and-on over the years.

Now moving forward with the project, MetLife recently submitted proposals for the first phase to the Midtown Alliance, which helps guide development for the Atlanta neighborhood known for its urban, walkable environment and cultural landmarks such as the Fox Theatre and Woodruff Arts Center.

Phase one includes the 500,000-square foot office tower, the apartment building, 87,000 square feet of retail and a proposed hotel.

It would focus on the east side of the project along 17th, Spring and West Peachtree. It could be presented to the Midtown Development Review Committee this month or next.

MetLife would not confirm that it’s going “spec” on the office tower, or in other words starting construction without pre-leasing.

But, it wants to have phase one occupied by the end of 2021, said MetLife’s Matt Robinson.

“We are in discussions with prospects,” he said, adding that moves by NCR Corp., which put its new headquarters at Tech Square, are examples of strong activity in Midtown’s office sector.

“We see Midtown see as a great location for these types of companies to access transit and a vibrant neighborhood,” Robinson said. “And that is what we are focused on — creating a vibrant project with a sense of place that will be attractive to a wide variety of tenants on the north side of Midtown.”

Tom Ryan, Southeast Regional director for MetLife Investment Management, also cited the prominent visibility of the development, especially along the Connector.

The first phase will force the demolition of the five-story Arthritis Foundation building, which has stood at 1330 West Peachtree for more than 60 years. It has served as the headquarters of John Hancock Life Insurance and at one time was proposed as a nearly 100-unit apartment conversion.

Miami-based Arquitectonica has created the master plan for the proposed 1295 Spring Street. Atlanta architecture firm Cooper Carry is designing the buildings.

A key component of the master plan includes future connectivity to Arts Center Way, which links to the Woodruff Arts Center and High Museum of Art.

MetLife has one of several new projects in north Midtown, with many clustering around MARTA’s Arts Center station. MetLife may also benefit from the project's connection to Williams Street and Atlantic Station over the 17th Street Bridge. Hines this year released its plans to continue redesigning and expanding Atlantic Station, the landmark redevelopment of the former Atlantic Steel site overlooking the Connector.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-350-unit.html

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
Someone do the math and tell me how tall this thing will be so I know if I should go full chub or not.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triptychtwo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
Someone do the math and tell me how tall this thing will be so I know if I should go full chub or not.
Bisnow has a rendering attached. The ABC article mentions it being 25 stories - that's probably around 380 ft tall +/- depending on the penthouse and mechanical screening on top.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...500_atlanta-re

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
Generally speaking office buildings require about 25,000 sf per floor. Though older buildings had 20,000 sf +/-
A typical office floor can be 12'-6" to 14' or there abouts-- Retail floors might be higher.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:49 PM

MetLife, Opus, 1105 West, rumors of 1125 Peachtree *gulp*... guys... we could be in for a huge next couple of years

As much as I enjoy neighborhoods along the EST, i could see Midtown making a push for being the most desirable neighborhood in Atlanta. It needs to keep bringing local retail, entertainment options, and expand accessibility to parkspace. Even though MetLife is a little further out than the rest, these could be the developments that push Atlanta into a true walkable city by encouraging even more development within closer proximity. Makes we think 14th st NW could also boom, so we may want to push back against that car storage facility going through the zoning process.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctk2014 View Post
Bisnow has a rendering attached. The ABC article mentions it being 25 stories - that's probably around 380 ft tall +/- depending on the penthouse and mechanical screening on top.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...500_atlanta-re
Just touching up the image so it displays better^^
Edit: not sure if i'm seeing it correctly and will not know until we see a site plan, but the parking/bike inlet along the right side of the building reminds me of the narrower local travel lanes in Barcelona, which would be a HUGE win for Midtown.

Last edited by Street Advocate; Mar 7, 2018 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:42 PM

Good to see MetLife moving forward.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 12:16 AM

just as an aside, even though it seems like north of 10th is getting the vast majority of development these days, it still doesn't feel really "urban"— not a lot of pedestrians after dark or a good number of people who aren't employed by one of the companies that have located there. it still feels sort of like an urbanized office park. south of 10th it seems to change, you've got more stuff like the 24/7 quiktrip, more stuff like laundromats and affordable places to eat and more foot traffic in general around the clock. even though it has seen less development it seems more like a real, functioning neighborhood. i wish we could get more residential apartments in midtown south of 10th that *aren't* luxury and make it more of an affordable alternative to live in midtown rather than commute. the shiny office buildings are neat and all but they're not really what makes up a neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations