HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Aug 16, 2023, 5:39 PM
Ahhh... Kelly Clarkson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
I know we all hate Fuqua, but this sounds great. It will almost assuredly be mediocre in appearance. But 45k sqft is a solid sized grocery store, 12k sqft for retail is easily 2-4 tenants and then nearly 300 apartments on top. If i could plop 5 of these around the city in Downtown, Howell Mill, Westend mall, etc. I would be elated.

I guess the big question is how they will handle the parking.
I saw a rendering. As expected, it looks super generic and cheap.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 1:45 AM

Fuqua deserves a reappraisal. I used to think his developments suck, but fact is he builds successful projects that are adapted to the reality of the built environment in Atlanta. He was correct 10 years ago during the 800 Glenwood fiasco when he said this isn't New York or San Francisco. And he has since adapted his designs to better accommodate the twee urban aesthetic that intown residents often demand. He's gotten better.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Fuqua deserves a reappraisal. I used to think his developments suck, but fact is he builds successful projects that are adapted to the reality of the built environment in Atlanta. He was correct 10 years ago during the 800 Glenwood fiasco when he said this isn't New York or San Francisco. And he has since adapted his designs to better accommodate the twee urban aesthetic that intown residents often demand. He's gotten better.
I agree with you.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
I agree with you.
Glenwood Kroger was his biggest mistake, but in my mind he made up for it with Madison yards. I’m sure Kroger had a big role in that shopping center sucking ass

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 6:08 PM

Have we forgotten about 17th near Atlantic Station? He totally. ruined. an extremely high visibility intersection that, with a small amount of foresight, could have been a very dense and high value-added project a la West Midtown. Also, he has again and again added self storage in prime locations.

He is, at best, a below replacement value developer.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 6:34 PM

Madison Yards sucks too. It's completely car oriented, and has two horrible Beltline crossings. The only reason it has any redeeming aspects is because the community got out front and forced some changes after they saw the complete disaster of the Glenwood Kroger.

Fuqua has never done anything good in Atlanta.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 6:49 PM

Permitting for the Westside Walmart (on MLK) conversion to a neighborhood market is moving forward.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2023, 7:00 PM

Planning permit filed for zoning verification for an affordable housing development at 1175 McDonald on the southside Beltline. A lot of new development in this area where Milton crosses the Beltline near DH Stanton Park.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2023, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Madison Yards sucks too. It's completely car oriented, and has two horrible Beltline crossings. The only reason it has any redeeming aspects is because the community got out front and forced some changes after they saw the complete disaster of the Glenwood Kroger.

Fuqua has never done anything good in Atlanta.
I believe they had a hand in the Sprouts development on Piedmont. That's better than almost anything else in the vicinity.

But yes, Madison Yards is a C or a D. Not a feather in Fuqua's cap.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 8:47 PM

New Hilton hotel planned Downtown

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...he-stitch.html

Quote:
Preliminary discussions are underway for a mixed-use project in Downtown Atlanta that could rise along The Stitch, an effort to cap the Connector and create a 14-acre park.

Natson Hotel Group is planning the project on a roughly 1-acre site north of the Twelve hotel and condo development at Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard and West Peachtree Street. The property sits along Interstates 75 and 85 and next to the Civic Center MARTA station.

The project could include a 260-room hotel and apartments, said Sam Patel, CEO of the McDonough, Georgia-based Natson Hotel Group. It could offer some affordable units geared to health care workers at the nearby Emory University Hospital Midtown.

The hotel would include Hilton’s new Tempo brand, the hospitality giant previously confirmed. It could be a dual-branded property that also features a Homewood Suites, or a standalone Tempo, Patel said. Those discussions are still in the works.

Patel said he anticipates breaking ground in 2026. Formal plans for the project have not yet been submitted in the city of Atlanta.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 11:05 PM

So they're finally making use of that vacant plot Novare was supposed to build the sister tower for Twelve decades ago.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:21 AM

Yikes, this echoes the Honewood Suites/HGI project on 10th. I am less hostile towards that project than most on here, but I would really prefer such a visible piece of land to get an aesthetically pleasing development rather than a cookie cutter infill hotel.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Yikes, this echoes the Honewood Suites/HGI project on 10th. I am less hostile towards that project than most on here, but I would really prefer such a visible piece of land to get an aesthetically pleasing development rather than a cookie cutter infill hotel.
I just know it'll be ugly as heck, like 90% of all these hotel developments. My fingers are crossed though.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 1:11 PM

Not sure if construction is starting, but something is going on with the next phase of Tech Square. Some equipment is on site, and they're digging at the corner of West Peachtree and Biltmore Place.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Not sure if construction is starting, but something is going on with the next phase of Tech Square. Some equipment is on site, and they're digging at the corner of West Peachtree and Biltmore Place.
At the groundbreaking ceremony that was almost one year ago now, they said that the buildings were scheduled to open by 2025. So they are probably looking to get started pretty soon.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 9:19 PM

Tech Square III renderings

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Aug 24, 2023 at 1:03 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 12:27 AM

The rest of midtown should learn something from the street level connectivity and integration of tech square, but alas more 10 level parking podiums are on the horizon...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2023, 1:22 PM

Found this on Facebook re: Tech Square phase three. Someone talked to the project manager on site:

The loud drill being used this week is to drill down 50-60 feet to make sure there is not hard rock that they will need to explode out before digging. And, they are laying temporary electrical lines for the trailers for the management and staff of the project. Then, the real work starts, and will take two years.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Do we have a site plan for this / know what the plan is for the east side of the block facing the Biltmore? Looks like it's not taking up the full block, but I'm curious if this is temporary for another building, or open space? I don't think we've seen any views of that side.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMustang View Post
Do we have a site plan for this / know what the plan is for the east side of the block facing the Biltmore? Looks like it's not taking up the full block, but I'm curious if this is temporary for another building, or open space? I don't think we've seen any views of that side.
The site plan is visible on a small graphic on the link to the architect site. About a third of the site will be open facing the Biltmore. It is not clear if this will be a plaza or reserved for a future expansion, however I would argue if they are building green space/plaza, we would see some rendering. They would showcase this as developers do. I suspect they are saving that land for a future expansion. They will probably build a parking lot there or make it a grass field.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta