HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir610Jawnman View Post
This might be exaggerating (but I'm an unapologetic Philly booster) but if the library and Family Court project gets built Philly could have the best public library in the country. We need something that would put New York and Boston to shame. Also, Center City is about maybe 20-30 years from being on par with Manhattan. Right now it's silly to compare, but with how absolutely insane growth we've seen just in the last 2 years in and next to CC and Philly growing so much faster than the Bos-Wash peers or it feels like that way we could see the gap close.
It feels like we are keeping pace to me. Boston is going gangbusters at the moment as well. Nothing in Philly is comparable to what is happening at Seaport over there.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 12:45 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir610Jawnman View Post
This might be exaggerating (but I'm an unapologetic Philly booster) but if the library and Family Court project gets built Philly could have the best public library in the country. We need something that would put New York and Boston to shame. Also, Center City is about maybe 20-30 years from being on par with Manhattan. Right now it's silly to compare, but with how absolutely insane growth we've seen just in the last 2 years in and next to CC and Philly growing so much faster than the Bos-Wash peers or it feels like that way we could see the gap close.
Philadelphia is awesome and great changes are ongoing, but you need to get out more if you actually think any of this is true...

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post
It feels like we are keeping pace to me. Boston is going gangbusters at the moment as well. Nothing in Philly is comparable to what is happening at Seaport over there.
Not trying to incite a "city vs. city" debate, but while you're right that the Seaport is Boston's "crown jewel" development district at the moment that wouldn't have a Philly analogue, it's important to remember that the City of Boston is otherwise far more built out, so you definitely do not see the same level of infill in Boston as you're seeing in Philly at the moment. Philly's more recent post-industrial shift has created more social challenges, but it's also given much more of a "blank slate" in many areas to be more ambitious and creative.

The Seaport is very impressive (even if more than a little sterile) and a great model to look at for the Navy Yard, but the breadth of Philly's development activity overall honestly seems much broader and transformative for a greater proportion of its neighborhoods.

Also, if you think Philly NIMBYs are bad, it has nothing on the Boston area.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
National Real Estate Development has single handedly raised the bar of what we should expect in terms of development in Philadelphia.

Yes, Post and SLC are also doing great things, but National Real Estate seems to have an appetite to take on more complex projects that have the potential to change entire neighborhoods (Market East, Callowhill, now this).

I'm a big fan.
Yeah, Durst got us all excited, but National (and Post and SLC) deliver.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 2:45 PM

Having visited the Boston Library durning a conference two years ago, I couldn't help but think what a wasted opportunity our main library has been as a potential social/cultural hub. The proposed modern addition years ago (by an Israeli architect) was an attempt to imitate what's been achieved in Boston. It was ditched when the library belatedly realized that its funds were needed for deferred maintenance on the existing structure. I'm happy that the National and AAMP projects will take up a good part of the derelict lot behind the library that was to be the site of the defunct addition. It looks like the rest will be for a more modest addition to the Library: A "Children and Family Center" mentioned in the blurb above. WHYY.com has a small unimpressive rendering of that piece at https://whyy.org/articles/philadelph...-free-library/. I really hope the Library makes more of an effort to be as engaging as Boston's Library. This little glass box doesn't look like what's needed, nor are the expanses of pavement between the separate buildings. National should have a sense of how to do this properly from the Market Street block-busting that they've done. This block is crying for some sort of courtyard/biergarten vibe that could only help getting more foot traffic to the library and museum (which will be tucked around the corner from the main parkway attractions). Are there any birds' eye renderings/site plans lurking out there?

Last edited by Knight Hospitaller; Aug 30, 2023 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Yeah, Durst got us all excited, but National (and Post and SLC) deliver.
^I think it's clear at this point, Durst really isn't all that invested in Philadelphia (even with the archaeological work they did on the Del. Ave site) -- the developers you mention above are building like gangbusters in Philadelphia, and don't seem slowed down by supposed "market conditions" at all. Durst, with its countless billions, seems to be simply uninterested in Philly.

Project looks awesome btw as others have stated, very impressive.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
^I think it's clear at this point, Durst really isn't all that invested in Philadelphia (even with the archaeological work they did on the Del. Ave site) -- the developers you mention above are building like gangbusters in Philadelphia, and don't seem slowed down by supposed "market conditions" at all. Durst, with its countless billions, seems to be simply uninterested in Philly.

Project looks awesome btw as others have stated, very impressive.
I recently researched National Real Estate Development because I have a long term dividend strategy in my personal investments that favors REITs based on how high their dividends are. I like to support home town players or out of town investors that work in Philly, and sometimes put my money behind them when I can see the quality of their work.

One random example was Cedar Realty Trust. At the height of the pandemic when stocks were in the gutter, I put less than 10 grand into CDR because it was the outfit behind the reposition at Fishtown Crossing (which I think is incredibly well executed and maintained for a strip center) and was gearing up to do QuarterMaster Plaza. It also paid an obscene dividend at the time. That 10K turned into roughly 50k in a matter of two years before CDR was acquired by another REIT.

Long story short, I researched NRED because I'd love to buy their stock. When they first started investing, the narrative was it was a DC based REIT (National Real Estate Advisors) etc. Well it turns out, in the time since, NRED has been established as the redevelopment arm of NREA and the development office is based here in Philadelphia. So in effect, it's now a home town player. And don't waste your time looking for their stock ticker because NREA is privately owned.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2023, 7:50 PM

New thread: 1900 Callowhill Street
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...6#post10027076

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 2:30 AM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 2:32 AM

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 3:08 AM
Creative Ambitions

Nice Shots TK, Im convinced you're secretly Spiderman climbing rooftops taking pictures for the Daily Bulge

Old Posted Aug 31, 2023, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Nice Shots TK, Im convinced you're secretly Spiderman climbing rooftops taking pictures for the Daily Bulge
maybe im immature but the Daily Bulge cracked me up

Old Posted Sep 3, 2023, 1:36 PM

Philadelphia skyline by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr
Last night. I haven't been happy with The Laurel's lights off

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 8:00 PM

Why did the laurels lights go off? It's strange seeing them off again

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 8:01 PM

Also I saw a crane driving back from the shore l, going over the Ben Franklin bridge it looked close to the "gayborhood" project. I think the dilworth house tower has a crane but it looked to tall to be for an 11 story structure

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether View Post
Also I saw a crane driving back from the shore l, going over the Ben Franklin bridge it looked close to the "gayborhood" project. I think the dilworth house tower has a crane but it looked to tall to be for an 11 story structure
It's the Dilworth House crane, which is almost disproportionately tall for the ultimate height of the stubby Dilworth project. Maybe to allow it to maneuver around the height of the neighboring buildings?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 9:56 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...tml#g/495647/1

A new building in Market East. 76ers Arena protesters will definitely hate this

76ers Arena and residential tower by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr
Does this tower have it's own thread?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Does this tower have it's own thread?
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=255631

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 11:09 PM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Sep 11, 2023, 6:07 PM

Dropping in from LA to just say that, even as an Lakers fan (and therefore a little bit of a 76ers hater), I really hope the arena gets built as proposed. The nimbys protesting this one rival LA's in stupidity. It's a great plan and should be a model for other cities with new arenas on the horizon.

I'm rooting for Philadelphia in general, it deserves to be a top destination for talent and capital!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations