HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 4:47 AM

Heard Red River Coop looking open grocery store in Exchange. Anyone else hear this?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Heard Red River Coop looking open grocery store in Exchange. Anyone else hear this?
I wonder where there would be a building large enough? I'd love a Coop close by but man they'd have a theft problem.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 12:14 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

banntyn and princess the storefront that was a baby store where many of us proll slept in cribs from is empty and the building is forsale or lease

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
banntyn and princess the storefront that was a baby store where many of us proll slept in cribs from is empty and the building is forsale or lease
A grocery store next door to Siloam ain't happening unilless it's a commissary style with no actual storefront.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
A grocery store next door to Siloam ain't happening unilless it's a commissary style with no actual storefront.
Bannatyne/Princess is 6 blocks away from Siloam Mission. Not super far but definitely not neighbors.

Anyways, this is great news if that’s the case. Even if there might be a couple of shoplifters there’s a lot of wealthy people that live in the Exchange District as well as workers and students.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 11:58 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
To the bolded... and?

Where was this criticism to the 90210 monstrosities across the street?

When did 127 Bannatyne become an architectural masterpiece? It's also in the same National Historic Site.

Marketlands?

None of these are exactly stunners.

Developers need to build given the financial constraints they face. Or we can be content to leave things as they are.
and, a National Historic Site deserves better.

This has nothing to do with financial constraints....that is the very definition of a mailed in design...there isn't a single idea....it is literally an extruded floorplan with windows cut into the wall where the rooms are....the cladding is some unidentified taupe material....the ground floor is completely blank....the weird little building perched on top of the heritage building is clumsy and characterless....from what I understand the ground floor is parking....that's not a budget issue...in fact, it's probably more expensive to do that....that is simply misguided priorities causing the building to be oppressive at the pedestrian edge.

Imagine having a project like that on a site like that and not even trying.

at the very least use brick....do a nice window composition....maybe add a canopy or cornice detail.....something....anything...

you may not like the 546 buildings for personal aesthetic reasons, but every single inch of them have been carefully considered and thoroughly designed. I personally think they are beautiful, but even if you don't like their aesthetic, both create interesting public spaces at the ground. Both have retail spaces on the main floor. Both have huge glass walls along the sidewalk. You may not like the cladding of the new building but it is custom designed and fabricated....is this designer investigating new cladding types?

The same can be said for Marketlands. It will be clad in white brick with integrated photovoltaic cladding on the south side. It has two big floors of glass along the ground and fronts a big new public space.

Also. Waterfront drive and the Marketlands sites are not in the national historic site.

127 Bannatyne is in the historic site and it is absolutely beautiful. There is no comparison in the quality of design...or materials....it has retail uses at the ground, uses brick, big walls of glass along the sidewalk...has a nice step back after the fourth floor....i wish I had designed it....it's awesome.

New development in the exchange doesn't have to be a 'stunner', but it needs to be designed....and they need to use good materials....no passes are given for economic constraints....a good architect can do good work on any budget.....they can be clean and simple and still be elegant and timeless....even if the buildings end up being ugly, we need better at the ground floor....no parking at grade ever....no blank walls along the front sidewalk.

we are so lucky to have the exchange district and we need to treat it with the respect it deserves....we are well past the 'any development is good development' stage in Winnipeg....we need to get over that insecurity and we need to demand better....especially in sensitive areas like this....this is a major building that will be there for 100 years....it deserves more design effort.

Last edited by trueviking; Jun 17, 2024 at 12:37 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Based on how much trouble 127 Bannatyne had getting thier height variance, one can only hope this development faces the same stiff opposition. Only this time I'll be with the NYMBYs.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
Based on how much trouble 127 Bannatyne had getting thier height variance, one can only hope this development faces the same stiff opposition. Only this time I'll be with the NYMBYs.
That's the solution, we need a focuses appeal effort on aesthetic grounds, other than that I don't see many options. TrueViking, do you have any insight on how to go about something like this?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 2:07 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by davequanbury View Post
127 Bannatyne has set the new upper limit for heights in the exchange, so this will not be a variance that gets denied for any future project in the exchange.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 2:23 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

ure hant changed much in 15yrs ince that a proposed eh?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
This can't be real. The doors are still there where balconies would be.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
This can't be real. The doors are still there where balconies would be.
Probably Juliet "balconies". Though I don't believe they even deserve to be called balconies

Balcony: 1. : a platform that projects from the wall of a building and is enclosed by a parapet or railing.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 2:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Here is the other angle for the original proposal.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 5:47 PM

What is photovoltaic cladding?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 8:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labroco View Post
What is photovoltaic cladding?
think thats the same stuff rrc used along william just newer tech

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 9:00 PM

Basically built-in solar panels for the siding. Anyone have any thoughts on their use? I would have expected a system like that to be more complicated and costly than mounting panels on the roof or on top of regular cladding, but that's just armchair engineering on my part.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 9:42 PM

The old design was definitely nicer. That being said, the new one still fits the streetscape. Build it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 2:49 PM

Nu-Wall Random, extruded aluminum cladding, my guess is this gets changed in value engineering.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan