HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 11:08 PM

Design concepts unveiled for Mantua Greenway

http://planphilly.com/articles/2016/...antua-greenway

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Id love to know why developers aren't doing anything on Spring Garden, east fo Broad. It looks horrible. Vacant buildings left and right, very little new construction. It's just stagnant in spite of all the investment in Northern Lib and North Broad. I was near 11th and SG and it's a sad sight. We have tons of activity in N. Liberties, Kensington and Fishtown, but the area between Vine Street and SG is still mostly run down.
I'd argue it'll start to fill in once the high line project starts. I'd also argue some of those owners are actually squatting for now because why not? The values are going to be exponentially higher in 3-5 years.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 1:32 AM
Future World Dictator

I'm almost sorry I asked about the UC construction... haha.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 9:47 AM

Broad and Arch construction:
001 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Bailey Building on Chestnut Street, 60's style facade removed:
029 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 11:38 AM

12 people testified about the real estate tax adjustment.

11 in support of it, 1 Darrell Clarke against it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...html?mobi=true

Have no fear the jackass wasn't done yesterday: http://www.phillymag.com/citified/20...-tax-increase/

Last edited by TempleGuy1000; Jun 3, 2016 at 11:49 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 12:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurkek View Post
I would like to know why JFK plaza renovation has stalled. There were people removing old tiles and soil, but nothing is happening there now.
value engineering issues are part of the delay. Also permits- not a fast process when you are disturbing this much land.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 12:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Could it be work on the underground garage that needs to be completed before they move further?
No, primary garage related improvement will be addition of elevators. Aside from that the garage will continue to operate as normal during project.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
12 people testified about the real estate tax adjustment.

11 in support of it, 1 Darrell Clarke against it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...html?mobi=true

Have no fear the jackass wasn't done yesterday: http://www.phillymag.com/citified/20...-tax-increase/
Because he wants the ability to raise the real estate tax without lowering business and wage taxes. I'll go back to what I've said before. The biggest thing holding this city are its undeducated voters who put these clowns in power. In what other successful city are elections such a sham?

With Kenney was elected, I came to the conclusion that there are no real elections in this city. The Democratic machine names its candidates and the people just rubber stamp their decisions. Outsiders and Republicans don't stand a chance and incumbents hold their seats until retirement, death, or prison. There is zero accountability and the majority of voters are too stupid to care.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 2:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Because he wants the ability to raise the real estate tax without lowering business and wage taxes. I'll go back to what I've said before. The biggest thing holding this city are its undeducated voters who put these clowns in power. In what other successful city are elections such a sham?

With Kenney was elected, I came to the conclusion that there are no real elections in this city. The Democratic machine names its candidates and the people just rubber stamp their decisions. Outsiders and Republicans don't stand a chance and incumbents hold their seats until retirement, death, or prison. There is zero accountability and the majority of voters are too stupid to care.
there is low participation here and nationally. This is not a Philly only problem and the notion that voters elsewhere in the US are far more engaged and informed is a joke. A huge proportion of the populace pays no attention to politics or voting. For better or worse. People like Clarke don't get a ton of votes, they can win because they are rarely challenged and even if they are they don't need much to win because turnout is so low.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 3:53 PM

Willie Singletary

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 4:37 PM

edit

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Oct 12, 2016 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post

Miss Nutter yet?

With this election, there were no great choices. My logic in for voting for Kenney was that he at least in his heart of heart knows the truth (he's not a dumb guy) and would work to figure out a way forward.

Clarke is just an idiot.

And it's not just voter participation. There is a ton of participation in the Presidential election right now. All these millenials screaming about rigged systems and stuff.

It's like, child. The system is not rigged. Just figure out who all the jokesters are in your local elections and start from the bottom up. But our youngest people don't have the capacity for understanding the crucial nature of knowing your city council person, school board members, etc. It's so banal for them.

But in reality, it's all related. Darryl Clark has the ability to derail job growth in this city more than Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton. And young Democrats don't know enough to care.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 5:38 PM

Metropolitan Opera House renderings:

http://philly.curbed.com/2016/6/3/11...use-renderings

Current view:

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:32 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I found this on Onion Flats' website while browsing for a different project.

Quote:
Onion Flats provided the winning submission to an RFP put forth by the Leon Sullivan Trust, later to be abandoned by LST.

The proposal maintained and renovated the existing, somewhat non-descript, office building and expanded it upward to provide two additional floors of educational and office space to fulfill the Trust’s on going needs. The vacant land along N Broad Street provided for an L-shaped, six-story student housing development over commercial / retail uses, and a separate eight-story, 124 key Indigo Hotel and Conference Center
Kinda makes you wonder, doesn't it? This would have made for a beautifully urban corner at Broad & Master.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 5:37 AM

Framing up new entrance for the Bailey Building:
Bailey Building new entrance by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Baum's building renovations:
Baum's building renovation by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Baum's building renovation by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

The Collins:
Target Express store to open in the Collins by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Swartz:
Swartz building construction by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

The whole block:
White, Collins, and Swartz buildings by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 5:46 AM

I wish I had more time to check out more general development going on in Philly, but I was only able to snap one general development pic:

Also, this is not related to development, but I tried out Indego for the first time today. My little brother had an appointment at a barber shop on South Street, so I decided to ride an Indego bike around Center City for 30 minutes. I loved every second of it! Now I see why people rave about biking in Philly! When I attend Temple this fall, I am certain that I will buy a monthly Indego pass and do most of my commuting by bike (probably with a monthly SEPTA pass to supplement it)!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 1:41 PM
Me?!?

In gentrifying E. Kensington, affordable senior apartments rise
Updated: JUNE 4, 2016 — 8:52 AM EDT
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...r6gDdbLedyw.99

Changing Skyline: Bait and switch on affordable housing deal nets developer five floors
Updated: JUNE 2, 2016 — 12:51 PM EDT
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/columni...w3wSGrKfXSe.99

Old Posted Jun 4, 2016, 2:59 PM
just a pool of mushy goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I wish I had more time to check out more general development going on in Philly, but I was only able to snap one general development pic:
And in classic Philly fashion it's obscured by utility lines.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jun 5, 2016, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlphila View Post
I'm not sure what to make of these renderings. It's got a bit of an Eastern State Penitentiary vibe to it, a "preserved state of decay." I think that's kind of cool, but I'd also love to see the theater's exterior completely restored.

I'd also like to see the roof and sidewalk signage restored. I remember seeing the sidewalk signage in Twelve Monkeys and being so fascinated with it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2016, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlphila View Post

http://philly.curbed.com/2016/6/3/11...use-renderings

Current view:

That would be amaaazing! North Broad Street has so much unrealized potential, so many holes to fill. Love seeing it.

On a semi-related note, another real estate data point. Our Fishtown rowhome was on the market for 4 days, we got two offers and got our full asking. Local buyer, but investor. Was hoping to sell to owner occupant, but oh well. Gonna miss this hood

Philadelphia is not a city of palaces for the few, but a city of homes for the many.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development