HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 9:01 AM

I've also been really impressed with Millcreek overall as well (still sad about the billboards though).

There are a few other Millcreek city center projects that should also get a shoutout:

Cottonwood Highland Apartments
1353 E. Villa Vista Ave
Developer: Cottonwood Residential
https://www.cottonwoodres.com/proper...6-1-Bedroom-0/

6 floors (at tallest). 250 residential units. 15,000 sq. ft. of retail. Opening 2023.

Description:
Quote:
Current under construction, Cottonwood Highland is centrally located in the redeveloping area of Millcreek's new city center. With an elevated amenity set and wide variety of floorplans, this community will be a destination for those seeking the best of Salt Lake City's urban and outdoor lifestyle opportunities.

The Richmond Apartments
1280 E. Villa Vista Ave.
Developer: Cottonwood Residential
https://www.cottonwoodres.com/proper...6-1-Bedroom-0/

6 floors. 330 residential units. 13,000 sq. ft. retail/commercial

Description:
Quote:
Currently under construction, The Richmond is ideally located within the vast redevelopment project designated as the new Millcreek City Center. Boasting walkable access to shopping and dining options in the area, along with a wide array of amenities for active lifestyles, this community will usher in a new level of comfort and sophistication to an exciting, redeveloping area.

If y'all remember, this was the under construction apartment building that burnt down this summer.

https://kutv.com/news/local/no-link-...e-other-blazes

So that fire caused significant damages and delays to the project.

The Stack Apartments (Salt Lake City, not Millcreek)
If you look in the fire photo above, just west of Brickyard, you can see The Stack under construction.

While it's in Salt Lake City, it is adding units to the Millcreek town center area, so I thought I'd include it.

1111 E Brickyard Rd
https://www.zwickconstruction.com/post/the-stack

5 floors. 254 residential units. Residents will have access to a pool, fitness center, business center, and more.

It would be nice to get a construction update on this one.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Dec 31, 2021 at 9:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 9:04 AM

BTW, I went past St. Mark's Hospital in Millcreek a couple weeks ago and saw there was construction work and a crane.

https://kutv.com/news/local/st-marks...-patient-tower

I don't know if it was ever posted on here, but apparently they are building a new 5-floor patient building on the site (in red).

Description: https://mountainstar.com/locations/s...w-st-marks.dot
We are excited to expand our footprint with the construction of a new patient tower to help us better serve Salt Lake County and the surrounding communities! This project will allow us to increase the size of our patient rooms, while continuing our commitment to provide exceptional patient care and experience. Construction of the new tower will conclude at the end of 2023.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Dec 31, 2021 at 10:34 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 9:19 PM

By Rockworth Companies
Midvale, UT
Mixed Use
223 units with 7,500 SF retail
252,897 SF
Under Construction

North Union Apartments is an ideal location at the heart of the Salt Lake Valley. The site is located in a “Super Regional” live / work environment, surrounded by retail, office, and educational uses. Proximity to both I-15 and I-215 and transit stops provides accessible and convenient transportation options.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2022, 9:52 PM

Decker Station Apartments

Rockworth Companies - https://rockworthco.com/real-estate-development/

DECKER STATION APARTMENTS

West Valley, UT
Multifamily
219 units
200,000 SF
Pending Start Date

Located adjacent to Trax, Decker Station Apartments offers unparalleled accessibility to the Salt Lake Valley. This site is across from the Maverick Center, a local entertainment hub. Decker offers 219 units with incredible amenities.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:52 PM

Murray City Center development

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 10:02 PM
Space Magi

There was actually a newer iteration of that project (rendering), which included demolishing one of the "historic" buildings, that was sent back to the drawing board by the city council a few months ago after overwhelming NIMBY opposition.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
There was actually a newer iteration of that project (rendering), which included demolishing one of the "historic" buildings, that was sent back to the drawing board by the city council a few months ago after overwhelming NIMBY opposition.
Oh wow. Ya, I would be a Nimby on this version. The one that I posted kept the historic 2-3 story brick building in the middle. This one must be the older one, and the one I posted is the newer version.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 2:12 PM

I asked about this big project a while back and someone said something to the effect that it had been canceled. Looks like it's a reality.

________________________________________________________________________Central Metro - Sage Valley Apartments - Under Construction

Sage Valley will consist of 430 high-end apartments and 21 townhouses. This state-of-the-art community comes with ample indoor parking, dual master suite gatehouses, high-end amenities in two residential towers, deck plazas,
and even includes a large community park. The project is surrounded by easy access to retail shopping and entertainment. This project has been designed by the talented team at Beecher Walker Architects in Salt Lake City and will
become an example of modern living in the heart of West Valley City. The ideal solution for a sophisticated framing project required the use of two Potain Self Erecting IGO 85 A cranes. These amazing cranes provided a rapid installation
and were ready in a very short time to assist with the framing needs of a multi-story project. Renderings Credit BeecherWalker.com

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 5:44 PM
Space Magi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Oh wow. Ya, I would be a Nimby on this version. The one that I posted kept the historic 2-3 story brick building in the middle. This one must be the older one, and the one I posted is the newer version.
Actually no; the one you posted is the older version. The locals were upset that the developer had changed the plan and added the demolition of that older building to it.

On the topic of South City in SSL, I noticed a couple weeks ago that the wood framing of the large apartment building is finally happening. The concrete podium stood deserted for probably six months or more.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2022, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I asked about this big project a while back and someone said something to the effect that it had been canceled. Looks like it's a reality.
I think that they were confused as to which project was being referred to. There are actually two old Kmart properties with large redevelopment plans in the area, Sage Valley that you were talking about Delts, and West Point being the other one. Sage Valley is on Redwood and 4100 S, and appears to be fully framed at this point. West Point is on 5400 s and west of Bangerter, and is still in a bit of limbo at the moment. Looking at the developer's website though, it appears that they have updated renderings and are now calling it "Volta Taylorsville," so I'm assuming that the project is still in the works.

https://thackeraycompany.com/multi-f...-taylorsville/ <--- Developer's Website (same one as the Sugar Town project)

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 11:39 PM

Rockwell Apartments

Here's something I've been working on for a while. Should start construction sometime in spring.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 2:41 PM

I thought this was a project worth noting. With all the activity this legislative session around funding for the Great Salt Lake and legislation around water law, the Great Salt Lake State park could be getting a real visitor center (it's currently not more than a trailer).

Looks like visitation has grown from 54,000 people in 2017 to 143,000 last year. I think this would be great for tourists and drawing more attention to conservation issues around the lake. Not the most attractive building but hopefully very preliminary renderings.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342799...0cY262_FOXwGjw

Quote:
While the health of the Great Salt Lake and ways to preserve it is at the center of attention during this year's legislative session, Nelson is seeking funding to address another issue by the lake. He's seeking funding for a new visitors center to handle the growing number of people coming to visit the lake.

The building designs submitted to Utah's legislative Natural Resources, Agriculture and Environmental Quality Appropriations Subcommittee last week would cost about $25 million. However, Nelson told KSL.com on Wednesday that it's possible to scale back some of the features to save costs if the sticker price is an issue.

It's something he believes would be better served now only because it is new money the state can spend. The proposal, he adds, is the result of big-picture ideas the state requested as a result of one-time federal infrastructure funding heading Utah's way.

"This is a big idea — a once in a lifetime (idea) that would really bless residents of Utah and thousands of visitors for generations to come. And it really would be a self-sustaining state park," Nelson told the subcommittee.

There is a visitors center there now, but to consider it a building is a bit crass. It's literally a triple-wide trailer designed as a visitors center, said Jeff Rasmussen, director at the Utah Division of State Parks. The facility opened in 2014.

"Honestly, it's embarrassing. We can and should do better," he said, during the subcommittee hearing. "I believe the Great Salt Lake State Park is really an underutilized facility and it can be so much more, and this visitors center can really take it to that next level."

Despite that, the Great Salt Lake State Park is experiencing a bit of a renaissance even if the lake itself isn't. Per Utah Division of State Parks data, the Great Salt Lake marina only attracted a little more than 54,000 people during the 2017 fiscal year.

The park drew slightly more than 143,000 visitors in the 2021 fiscal year, a spike from 100,000 during 2020. More than 70,000 people have already visited the park during the first five months of the current fiscal year, an indication that the wave of interest is ongoing.

Those visitors are coming at a time when one of the parts of the lake reached the lowest depths ever recorded.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 2:41 PM

Finally, it's about a century past due, but I'm relieved they're finally starting to pay attention to the Great Salt Lake's potential. I think that it's only a matter of time with the growing population that the Great Salt Lake and Utah Lake become outstanding visitor resources. Utah is starting to gain the population and wealth it needs to rescue its valuable shoreline.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Finally, it's about a century past due, but I'm relieved they're finally starting to pay attention to the Great Salt Lake's potential. I think that it's only a matter of time with the growing population that the Great Salt Lake and Utah Lake become outstanding visitor resources. Utah is starting to gain the population and wealth it needs to rescue its valuable shoreline.
Or maybe it's too late, both lakes are disappearing at alarming rates, thanks to some extent due to the growing population in SLC. Water being removed from the rivers that feed the GSL have reduced its level by 11 feet, depleting the lake area by more than half...

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 6:32 PM

If the Governor's office is as serious about the issue as they claim then we can reverse the damage. That it is too late is a very long discussion and perhaps now is the time for the Western States to reverse the small but vocal fanaticism that has severely curtailed our water resource retention. As with the other Western States Utah doesn't reclaim and store nearly enough of its watershed. In addition to better water conservation practices, we need a multi-pronged approach for better channeling and storing water from those areas that have an abundance. Sufficient water reclamation and the channeling of water into major metros such as Denver, Salt Lake City, Vegas, and Phoenix will call for major Federal government assistance. It's time that the mega water projects of the past become a reality once again. Whatever mistakes might have been made by storing and channeling water in the past we can learn from. That doesn't mean we should abandon sensible water reclamation all together.

Why do we accept oil pipelines as energy economics 101? All over the world, we pipe oil and gas from energy-rich locations to barren locals thousands of miles to their destination, and yet as dependent as we still are on oil in maintaining our economy, it can't even begin to compare with our life sustainging dependence on water. It's amazing how we teeter on the edge of a cliff and play Russian roulette with these drought cycles. It is by some miracle that we haven't had to deal with a complete cataclysmic drought at this point.

Just California alone in the short term, returning to developing its own water resources would go a long way to stabilizing the emergency that the mountain states find themselves in. Southern California has refused for many decades to develop major sustainable new water reclamation projects. Instead, it literally is allowed to steal water from the Colorado and by association the Green. California has long since passed the legal limit of its water share and continues to do so each year. In the interest of saving this or that bug, California has now put at risk a major portion of America's food supply, not to mention the thousands of critical bird species that depend on bodies of water such as the Great Salt Lake. At least in the short term, the four corner states and Nevada would have a lot more water resource to work with if California would hold up its agreed-upon water allocation. It wouldn't be a permanant solution, but it would be a great first step.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 8:02 PM

Quote:
If the Governor's office is as serious about the issue as they claim then we can reverse the damage. That it is too late is a very long discussion and perhaps now is the time for the Western States to reverse the small but vocal fanaticism that has severely curtailed our water resource retention. As with the other Western States Utah doesn't reclaim and store nearly enough of its watershed. In addition to better water conservation practices, we need a multi-pronged approach for better channeling and storing water from those areas that have an abundance. Sufficient water reclamation and the channeling of water into major metros such as Denver, Salt Lake City, Vegas, and Phoenix will call for major Federal government assistance. It's time that the mega water projects of the past become a reality once again. Whatever mistakes might have been made by storing and channeling water in the past we can learn from. That doesn't mean we should abandon sensible water reclamation all together.

Why do we accept oil pipelines as energy economics 101? All over the world, we pipe oil and gas from energy-rich locations to barren locals thousands of miles to their destination, and yet as dependent as we still are on oil in maintaining our economy, it can't even begin to compare with our life sustainging dependence on water. It's amazing how we teeter on the edge of a cliff and play Russian roulette with these drought cycles. It is by some miracle that we haven't had to deal with a complete cataclysmic drought at this point.

Just California alone in the short term, returning to developing its own water resources would go a long way to stabilizing the emergency that the mountain states find themselves in. Southern California has refused for many decades to develop major sustainable new water reclamation projects. Instead, it literally is allowed to steal water from the Colorado and by association the Green. California has long since passed the legal limit of its water share and continues to do so each year. In the interest of saving this or that bug, California has now put at risk a major portion of America's food supply, not to mention the thousands of critical bird species that depend on bodies of water such as the Great Salt Lake. At least in the short term, the four corner states and Nevada would have a lot more water resource to work with if California would hold up its agreed-upon water allocation. It wouldn't be a permanant solution, but it would be a great first step.
I really respect your articulation here. Well said. Though, I'm wondering what is a sustainable water reclamation project? I keep thinking Dams, but those have environment consequences.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 9:00 PM

Quote:

One major solution in the short term would actually be de-investing in massive water infrastructure projects.

Lake Powell, and all the major reservoirs along the Colorado River, are located in some of the hottest and most arid climates on the planet. Because of this, roughly 1/3rd of the entire volume of runoff (not total lake volume, annual runoff volume) for each year is lost to evaporation, from the sheer size of the surface area of water located in the hot desert.

This pattern/proportion of water loss is repeated downstream at Lake mead, Lake Mojave, and Lake Havasu, meaning the the total initial water volume at the confluence with the Green River is roughly 66% post Powell, 43% post Mead, 28% Post Mojave, and 19% post Havasu.

That's astonishingly over 3/4ths the annual volume of Colorado river water lost to evaporation each year, just by storing the water. Removing lake Powell alone to fill lake mead downstream would result in an instant 1/3 increase in annual Colorado river flow. As Lake Powell is currently the only reservoir that provides no pipeline or drinking/irrigation water, is by far the most environmentally damaging, and the most at risk of water dropping below the level for power generation, it makes sense as the first. It's a massive water waster isolated in the middle of the desert, hundreds of miles from the nearest sizeable city.

Removing massive infrastructure in the desert, not building more, is a way to dramatically increase water supplies while restoring Colorado river ecosystems.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
I think like Wasatch Wasteland, I agree that there are other routes to go. There may still need to be large-scale water down the road, but the potential for conservation in reducing our water use is enormous. One of the challenges historically in Utah has been the way that our water laws and rights work.

Typically, if you don't use your water rights, you lose them, so there's a big economic incentive particularly among industrial or agricultural users against conservation. Thankfully, some pilot legislation last year (or the previous year) has opened some legal opportunities to allow owners of water rights to be paid to not use their water rights and allow them to flow downstream. The owner of the water rights doesn't lose out, gets paid, and more water can make it downstream. There's a push from conservation groups to expand this on a larger scale and get a guaranteed amount of water into the GSL.

In fact, some of the proposed legislation this session (we'll see what passes), mandates different levels of state action based on the level of the GSL (such as payments to water right holders to guarantee a certain level). Even if something like that takes another year or two to pass, it would have a profound impact.

Beyond that, I think the Governor's direction of investing more funds in modernizing agriculture water infrastructure, and agricultural practices, could bring significant dividends, since agriculture is the state's largest water user.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 6:13 AM

Doesn't alfalfa that's exported to China represent a significant portion of our agricultural water use? I don't know how much more nuance there is to it than that, but if that is true, it seems like incentiving those farmers to grow climate-appropriate crops that are used domestically would go a long way to reducing agricultural water use.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
One major solution in the short term would actually be de-investing in massive water infrastructure projects.

Lake Powell, and all the major reservoirs along the Colorado River, are located in some of the hottest and most arid climates on the planet. Because of this, roughly 1/3rd of the entire volume of runoff (not total lake volume, annual runoff volume) for each year is lost to evaporation, from the sheer size of the surface area of water located in the hot desert.

This pattern/proportion of water loss is repeated downstream at Lake mead, Lake Mojave, and Lake Havasu, meaning the the total initial water volume at the confluence with the Green River is roughly 66% post Powell, 43% post Mead, 28% Post Mojave, and 19% post Havasu.

That's astonishingly over 3/4ths the annual volume of Colorado river water lost to evaporation each year, just by storing the water. Removing lake Powell alone to fill lake mead downstream would result in an instant 1/3 increase in annual Colorado river flow. As Lake Powell is currently the only reservoir that provides no pipeline or drinking/irrigation water, is by far the most environmentally damaging, and the most at risk of water dropping below the level for power generation, it makes sense as the first. It's a massive water waster isolated in the middle of the desert, hundreds of miles from the nearest sizeable city.

Removing massive infrastructure in the desert, not building more, is a way to dramatically increase water supplies while restoring Colorado river ecosystems.
Are you advocating draining Lake Powell? That would be a non-starter where I'm concerned.

I would seriously have to doubt your evaporation statistics, given what was presented as fact regarding Utah Lake reclamation. Note, I'm not devaluing your personal opinion on the matter but I am questioning the information you were given. I would want a lot more info. before any redevelopment of the Lake took place, whatever the mode of redevelopment taken. It would seem like there is a lot of misinformation and hyperbole going on from both sides of the issue, both from island proponents and particularly on some of the information you gleaned from the opponents of the redevelopment of Utah Lake. Many of the claims from the information you presented regarding the island information were patently false or at best outdated. Please refer to this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek1978 View Post
A quick Google search and browse of Google Earth shows that there were only 3 palms to be built, two of them were. The 3rd was started but abandoned because of slow development on the second palm. The slowing came because of a worldwide recession. The Earth Islands were also finished, and they are currently under development. This has not gone as fast as Dubai had hoped, but they are not abandoned.

I couldn't find any information about the islands sinking. I did find that they are studying the ecological impact but claims that it has destroyed the
eco system are claims only at this point.

I'm not arguing in favor or against creating the islands. Much more information is needed. It just seems like people are letting their preconceived bias make their minds up before studying the issue. Let's use this proposal as a starting point to have a much deeper conversation.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 12, 2022 at 2:16 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West