HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offside_Ref View Post
Seemingly oddly, Broadway feels quicker eastbound PM than 12th and 4th right now. The lack of turning traffic dramatically speeds up traffic. Definitely not a long-term change though.
This is why Nanaimo works so well now even though it's a single through lane in each direction between Hastings and 1st Avenue. They used the space that was freed up for two-way left turn lanes and right turn lanes. The only time when traffic gets backed up is when clueless people don't pull left or right to make their turns.

Although it does seem a bit ridiculous that they turned the one block next to Pandora Park into a single lane - everybody has to merge only to splay out again after a few hundred feet.

If they can do something similar with Broadway after Millennium line construction is complete (not single lanes necessarily, but somehow incorporate a two-way left turn lane) then I think it could work out well.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
This is why Nanaimo works so well now even though it's a single through lane in each direction between Hastings and 1st Avenue. They used the space that was freed up for two-way left turn lanes and right turn lanes. The only time when traffic gets backed up is when clueless people don't pull left or right to make their turns.

Although it does seem a bit ridiculous that they turned the one block next to Pandora Park into a single lane - everybody has to merge only to splay out again after a few hundred feet.

If they can do something similar with Broadway after Millennium line construction is complete (not single lanes necessarily, but somehow incorporate a two-way left turn lane) then I think it could work out well.
I think they just did that to make it safer for pedestrians instead of crossing a bunch of lanes or installing a signalled light.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I think they just did that to make it safer for pedestrians instead of crossing a bunch of lanes or installing a signalled light.
Lack of left turn lanes and pedestrian controlled signals are perhaps the two worst trends in Vancouver area traffic planning.

Nanaimo Street's rebuild shows why I think.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I agree with no parking on arterials. It needs enforcement too though. Right now Broadway is no stopping along the construction route, and there's a non-stop parade of delivery drivers stopping, getting out to pick up orders, etc.
From your mouth to council's ear. Getting into downtown is ridiculous in the evening as the city allows parking on 2 of Seymour's 4 lanes. It is ridiculous. The hypocritical sanctimony of city politicians and bureaucrats trying to make life difficult for motorists while at the same time cashing in on the meter revenue.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
From your mouth to council's ear. Getting into downtown is ridiculous in the evening as the city allows parking on 2 of Seymour's 4 lanes. It is ridiculous. The hypocritical sanctimony of city politicians and bureaucrats trying to make life difficult for motorists while at the same time cashing in on the meter revenue.
Rather, the hypocritical sanctimony of drivers who want parking spaces on all blocks and seamless traffic flow, and will vote against any council that doesn't deliver both for free.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:43 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Rather, the hypocritical sanctimony of drivers who want parking spaces on all blocks and seamless traffic flow, and will vote against any council that doesn't deliver both for free.
Even if ^this^ doesn't describe whatnext, it does describe the attitude of most drivers.

You could likely add the small business lobby to the list of citizens who continue to demand curbside parking outside their front door, even though the link between said parking and sales is doubtful.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Most drivers coming into downtown for events know where the parking lots are. There are certainly no shortage around Seymour and I'm sure most motorists would be happy to head to one of those lots than sit in gridlock traffic. Broadway would be different depending where you are and of course those going for appointments etc. won't be aided by city policies like allowing that proposed building at Broadway and Hemlock to have just 40 parking spaces.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Most drivers coming into downtown for events know where the parking lots are. There are certainly no shortage around Seymour and I'm sure most motorists would be happy to head to one of those lots than sit in gridlock traffic. Broadway would be different depending where you are and of course those going for appointments etc. won't be aided by city policies like allowing that proposed building at Broadway and Hemlock to have just 40 parking spaces.
Isn't there mass transit in downtown Vancouver and along Broadway? I mean I only live in New Westminster with no car because there's decent transit, doesn't Vancouver have that too?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Lack of left turn lanes and pedestrian controlled signals are perhaps the two worst trends in Vancouver area traffic planning.

Nanaimo Street's rebuild shows why I think.
back in the 90s it was a pleasure to drive into Vancouver than the bike mayor and council started to make roads dead ends and eliminated left-turn lanes and made it a miserable place to drive to encourage more people not to drive.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
Even if ^this^ doesn't describe whatnext, it does describe the attitude of most drivers.

You could likely add the small business lobby to the list of citizens who continue to demand curbside parking outside their front door, even though the link between said parking and sales is doubtful.
You can never please everyone. The best you can do is have people on opposite sides of the argument roughly equally p*ssed off.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:11 AM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
...than the bike mayor... made it a miserable place to drive to encourage more people not to drive.
The nerve of that mayor... maybe you should grumble and complain about it

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the UBC Expansion, but if your talking about the office proposal at the northeast corner of Broadway and Hemlock you might want to significantly revise your number.

Quote:
1395 W Broadway
392 underground parking spaces and 172 bicycle spaces
https://shapeyourcity.ca/1395-w-broadway

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Most drivers coming into downtown for events know where the parking lots are. There are certainly no shortage around Seymour and I'm sure most motorists would be happy to head to one of those lots than sit in gridlock traffic.
So if City Hall announces a plan to get rid of parking on Seymour tomorrow morning, they won't get a hundred angry letters by the afternoon (email in the case of the smarter ones)? That's what's happened every other time they've removed those lanes.

Quote:
Broadway would be different depending where you are and of course those going for appointments etc. won't be aided by city policies like allowing that proposed building at Broadway and Hemlock to have just 40 parking spaces.
Broadway would be literally right on top of a SkyTrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the UBC Expansion, but if your talking about the office proposal at the northeast corner of Broadway and Hemlock you might want to significantly revise your number.
392 spaces for cars? That should be enough to qualify as a freaking Park & Ride.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 7:20 AM

Quote:
back in the 90s it was a pleasure to drive into Vancouver than the bike mayor and council started to make roads dead ends and eliminated left-turn lanes and made it a miserable place to drive to encourage more people not to drive.
Yeah, it's so terrible we are making such clean, efficient and equitable form of transportation like the private automobile less appealing /s

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 7:54 AM

Worth noting how there were ~200k less people in the CoV and ~900k less in the metro back in the Nineties. Seems like 1-2 million residents is the cutoff for a car-oriented small city, at which point you start to have more commuters, more goods and services, more pedestrians crossing the street (which really ducks up the right-turn lanes), and overall too many road users for the road.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 8:00 AM

i only use skytrain to go downtown these days if we even bother to go down there.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 4:52 PM

Quote:
AKA Density.

Vancouver is fine to drive in. Downtown Vancouver traffic is better than many car oriented suburbs. Try Surrey or Langley down their main arterials.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 4:53 PM

Quote:
i only use skytrain to go downtown these days if we even bother to go down there.
Classic, "nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded".

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 5:26 PM

Quote:
When did it become such a virtue signal for Metro Vancouverites to constantly tell everyone you meet that you don't visit Downtown anymore?

Well that's great and we're all the better for your sacrifice IMHO. OH, and it's been decades since I've set foot anywhere east of North Road, I think you should all know that.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2021, 7:10 PM
Peddling to progress

Quote:
And I (along with hundreds of thousands of other Metro Van residents) use the Skytrain AT LEAST 2x daily. What, exactly, is the point of your anecdote?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure