HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 2, 2022, 6:42 PM
World Traveler

I love the convention center proposal. It would be cool to tie the areas across I-30 as well, and of course allow for better utilization of the land by the mix-master. Add in more deck parks over much of I-30 from there to St. Paul St. and I'll call it a win.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Country View Post
Okay, I'll start with Downtown, Deep Ellum and Uptown. This initial post is not intended to be complete, just a starting point. Please quote or copy/paste to amend this list.

DOWNTOWN:

JW Marriott
Under construction

Field Street District: Proposed by Kaizen Development Partners et al. Announced Dec. 2019.
Status as of 1/31/2022: Nothing so far.

Newpark Dalls: JV between Hoque Global and Lanoha Real Estate. 20-acre development project on the South side of downtown. One Newpark announced October 2020, with "Construction on the project slated to begin sometime next year (2021)".

Hunt Realty's North End: 11-acre redevelopment. Announced Oct 2020.
Status as of 1/31/2022: It appears they may have stopped signing new leases at the North End apartments. When first announced they acknowledge it would be into 2023 before they "truly start anything". (But DMN's Steve Brown is still reporting/fantasizing that they are expected to start construction this year.

Hillwood Urban's Field Street Tower: 38-story office building. Hillwood has been leaking renderings for this "gateway" project for several years. The 38-story rendering is the latest.
Status as of 1/31/2022: Nothing

El Fenix site: Stonelake Capital Partners proposing a high-rise mixed-use project on two blocks of parking lots. Supposed to include office, residential, restaurants and green space. Announced mid-January 2022.
Status as of 1/31/2022: Architects hired.

Portman Holdings' east downtown: Three high-rises (one office and two residential) at Ross Ave and Routh. Announced late Dec. 2021.
Status as of 1/31/2022: "... could start work on the site as early as next year" (i.e., 2022).

Crescent Real Estate's Maple Ave Resi Tower 30-story residential tower on Maple between the Stoneleigh and the Crescent. Announced April 2020.
In case it's helpful to anyone adding to the list, here's a link to the DFW Development Map that used to have it's own thread on the DFW Metropolis Forum:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...726912476&z=13

Always seemed to be fairly up to date, though a little bare bones in terms of info.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCowboyCoffee View Post
All the money comes from a hotel tax that can only be spent on convention centers. I'd be cool with scrapping the convention center entirely tbh, but if the choice is between paying to upkeep the godawful mistake of a current building or building from scratch in the same space, I'd build from scratch. Building from scratch enables us to plan from the start for adaptive reuses of the building when conventions aren't using it, while also opening up that new space around Memorial Auditorium.

With regard to the hotel and restaurant proximity problem, there's no option to relocate the convention center closer to ones that already exist (where would it go?), so the thinking has to be how to encourage new development closer to it. Obviously the current building has failed to do that for half a century, so I don't see why we'd keep sinking money into it.

The proposed plan is to have the convention center act as a bridge over I-30, where it would be bookended at both ends by the entertainment district and hotel being planned for the former Dallas Morning News headquarters to the north, and by the highspeed rail station and proposed adjacent mixed-use development to the south.
All while opening up that new space which I will argue to the ends of the earth would be an incredible park in the hands of the right landscape architect.

Hell, I'd argue it's worth it just for burying more of our highways.
I'm pretty sure your first statement is not true. Hotel tax money can be spent on items other than convention centers.

The option presented (and the option they are plowing ahead with) is not building from scratch in the current space. It is building from scratch adjacent to the current space, so that the closest point of the resulting convention center will be further from the core of downtown Dallas and its hotels and restaurants. There may not be an option to locate the center closer to the core, as you say, but that doesn't mean the best option is to move it further away.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Country View Post
I'm pretty sure your first statement is not true. Hotel tax money can be spent on items other than convention centers.
Oh sorry, I'm not saying hotel taxes can only be spent on convention centers, it's that the money that is being used to pay for this redo is a specific tax from nearby hotels that is allocated only for the convention center. Fort Worth used the same specific tax to build the Dickies Arena.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about the plans though. The convention center running parallel to the freeway only amplifies the wall effect created by I-30. It's acted like having two freeways side by side.
One of the many proposed plans actually used the same convention center space but buried most of the building. I would have been okay with that but it was obviously the most expensive option of the bunch so I'm not surprised they didn't go for it. This is what it looked like:

But ultimately, I think massive conventions will be a thing of the past and pumping money into their buildings is a waste at the end of the day. The only reason I'm up for this is if we construct the new one in a more modular way that allows for way more dynamic public uses when conventions aren't going on. Undoing the 'urban fabric' damage the current building has done and opening park space is a bonus that I think offsets being somewhat further from the adolphus and all that--especially if the high speed rail station comes to fruition and the area totally transforms with its own set of hotels and dining.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 9:56 PM

Okay, I'll start with Downtown, Deep Ellum and Uptown. Initial post amended with projects mentioned by others in this thread.
DOWNTOWN:

Under Construction:

JW Marriott
Under construction

Matthews Southwest Apt Bldg @ old Dallas High School: 15-story apartment building.

Victory Commons One: 12-story office building in Victory Park.

Kairoi Residential Apt Bldg: 12-story apartment building at 2620 Maple Ave in Uptown.
Status: Under construction. Completion expected Sept. 2022.

Harwood No. 14: 25-story office building (11 floors of parking; 14 floors of office) in Harwood District (Uptown).

Swexan Hotel: 19-story hotel in Harwood District (Uptown).
Status: Under construction (since 2018!). Supposed to open some time this year, but there seems to be no information.

Residences at Maple Terrace: 22-story apartment building by Hines in Uptown

Announced/Proposed:

Field Street District: Proposed by Kaizen Development Partners et al. Announced Dec. 2019.

Newpark Dallas: JV between Hoque Global and Lanoha Real Estate. 20-acre development project on the South side of downtown. One Newpark announced October 2020, with "Construction on the project slated to begin sometime next year (2021)".

Status as of 1/31/2022: It appears (and jkill34 has confirmed, see post below) they have stopped signing new leases at the North End apartments. When first announced they acknowledge it would be into 2023 before they "truly start anything". (But DMN's Steve Brown is still reporting/fantasizing that they are expected to start construction this year.

Hillwood Urban's Field Street Tower: 38-story office building. Hillwood has been leaking renderings for this "gateway" project for several years. The 38-story rendering is the latest.
Status as of 1/31/2022: Nothing

El Fenix site: Stonelake Capital Partners proposing a high-rise mixed-use project on two blocks of parking lots. Supposed to include office, residential, restaurants and green space. Announced mid-January 2022.
Status as of 1/31/2022: Architects hired.

Portman Holdings' east downtown: Three high-rises (one office and two residential) at Ross Ave and Routh. Announced late Dec. 2021.
Status as of 1/31/2022: "... could start work on the site as early as next year" (i.e., 2022).

Crescent Real Estate's Maple Ave Resi Tower: 30-story residential tower on Maple between the Stoneleigh and the Crescent. Announced April 2020. Announced again January 2022.

Hoque Global SoGood: 15-acre mid-rise mixed used development south of I-30. First phase was "announced as being apartments that would start construction later in 2021. Latest news: The Chloe at SoGood, 7-story apartment building, is currently in the permitting phase with a groundbreaking expected in 2022.

Granite Properties' 23 Springs: 26-story office building proposed at Cedar Springs Rd and Maple Ave. Granite has been working on plans for this one since 2018.
Status: ?? Nothing happening? (It appears the buildings currently on the site are still leasing office space...)

Trammel Crow McKinney Ave. Office Bldg: 27-story building proposed for site of Truluck's.
Status: Latest news. Hope to start construction this month (February 2022).

Alama Manhattan 25-story apartments Alamo Manhattan has said they are working on plans for a 25-story, 268-unit apartment tower at Fairmount and Carlisle Street.

The Quad: 12-story Uptown office building at Howell and Routh
Status: Last word was demo and construction to start in January 2022. (But previously it was announced that demo and construction would start in late summer 2021 and before that in 2020.) Anything happening?

KDC/Central Market 25-story boutique hotel and apartments (800 units) with Central Market on ground level planned for McKinney @ Lemmon in Uptown.
Status: Groundbreaking scheduled for April 2022 (per TDLR filing).

Last edited by Green Country; Feb 18, 2022 at 6:16 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 3:54 AM

Another for Downtown:
Mill Creek Residential 16 story residential tower

Here's some other Uptown projects not list above:
Harwood 14 - Highrise Office (UC)
Swexan Hotel 22 stories (UC)
Harwood 12 - Highrise Office (TBD)
Alamo Manhattan - 26 story apartments on Maple Ave (TBD)
Central Market / Residential towers (TBD)
The Quad - Mixed Use w/ 12 story office (Demo soon)
Maple Terrace - 22 story residential tower and historic office renovation (UC)
McKinney/Boll - 19/20 story residential tower (TBD)
2614 McKinney Ave - 18 story residential tower (TBD)

Turtle Creek, Oak Lawn, Design District, Deep Ellum, Knox District and Mockingbird Station all have towers that have been announced as well, if we want to start building out those lists.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 4:15 AM

Status as of 1/31/2022: It appears they may have stopped signing new leases at the North End apartments. When first announced they acknowledge it would be into 2023 before they "truly start anything". (But DMN's Steve Brown is still reporting/fantasizing that they are expected to start construction this year.

Can confirm that North End leases are ending. I toured an apartment building in Victory Park and the property manager said that they are getting an influx of North End residents in which their leases are being non-renewed.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 5:08 PM

D Magazine published an article from a design group that was tasked with creating a possible vision for how the Dallas Morning News campus could be reimagined. It's really worth a read:

A Bigger Picture for the Old Dallas Morning News Headquarters
The Dallas City Council will vote on the future of the convention center later today. But an important part of that is what is next door: the old Dallas Morning News headquarters, which local architecture firm CRTKL explored redeveloping.
The focus on opening up the front of the building as a pedestrian terrace is exactly what I want to see. This vision is so much better than the old rendering I saw that used that space as a valet drop off...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 7:54 PM

Well, city council just voted 14-1 to go forward with the convention center proposal. Next step is putting the hotel tax on the ballot for November.

Dallas city council votes to move forward with plans for new downtown convention center - WFAA

For the life of me I cannot find the city presentation that these renderings come from, but I pulled them from the above article and the NBC5 video about it. I hate that the WFAA article lifts a whole slide from the presentation but doesn't link to the presentation itself! If anyone else can find it please let me know.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 9:25 PM

Great to see more news and up to date information.
Looks like Dallas is starting a comeback!
Thanks for the info.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 9:34 PM

Thanks to everyone who is updating this thread. I’ll be relocating to Dallas very soon, and am pretty active within the Nashville Urban Development community, so it’s good to see some discussion of the goings on in Dallas.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 9:34 PM
World Traveler

I like how the new proposal interacts with the Omni also. Pretty sweet.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I like how the new proposal interacts with the Omni also. Pretty sweet.
Yes and I really like all of the public greenspace shown.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 1:30 AM
BANNED

Very nice!

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownNashville View Post
Thanks to everyone who is updating this thread. I’ll be relocating to Dallas very soon, and am pretty active within the Nashville Urban Development community, so it’s good to see some discussion of the goings on in Dallas.
Welcome to Dallas! You'll definitely want to check out DallasMetropolis.com as well.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 4:13 PM

Fort Worth - New mid-rise residential proposal at 7th and Henderson.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2022, 9:02 PM

Just tossing in this before and after comparison from a Dallas Morning News article.
Gotta love absolutely absurd renderings. This one transforms every single parking lot into a forest I wish.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 4:40 PM

KDC's $295 million Uptown development with Central Market anchor will break ground in April

Dallas-based developer KDC will break ground in April on a mixed-use development anchored by a Central Market grocery store at McKinney and Lemmon in Uptown...the project will be 1.7 million square feet and estimated to cost $295 million. It will feature a 25-story tower with three levels of office and 23 levels of multifamily. There will also be a 5-level type IIA multifamily high rise.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
KDC's $295 million Uptown development with Central Market anchor will break ground in April

Dallas-based developer KDC will break ground in April on a mixed-use development anchored by a Central Market grocery store at McKinney and Lemmon in Uptown...the project will be 1.7 million square feet and estimated to cost $295 million. It will feature a 25-story tower with three levels of office and 23 levels of multifamily. There will also be a 5-level type IIA multifamily high rise.
Hoping this start date sticks this time. That lot has been a depressing one for a while. I also hope to see the highrise office go up at McKinney and Maple at the same time.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2022, 1:58 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Finally, one of the final pieces of the puzzle creating a nearly contiguous mid rise urban neighborhood near a subway station that used to be a pretty empty area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations