HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 2:21 AM

I get the point she's trying to make with that article, but it makes no sense. If she lives in Sandy Hill, how is she avoiding the Rideau Centre to travel north/northwest, and then ending up at the worst parts of the eastern end of Rideau? Also, she has selected vignettes of the worst parts of the area. I would wager that a majority of tourists would not end up in many of the areas she describes, as they would likely enter the market from the Sussex/Rideau area and tourists tend to stick to the pretty vibrant areas. This whole thing is ridiculous.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 12:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't think it's that much of an issue for tourists - at least those who are reasonably well-travelled and aren't from Podunk and travelling to Ottawa as their first "big city".

That said, the points she raises are bigger issues in terms of the overall livability of that part of Ottawa for residents.

At the moment the trend is still very much on the upswing in terms of residential development and inflow of residents. As long as building permits keep rolling out for new stuff it's tempting for the city to think "all is well".

I am not trying to be an alarmist at all but it's definitely something to keep an eye on - it doesn't take much for things to tilt in the opposite direction.

Old Posted May 24, 2021, 12:17 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry-Lynne Wilson
I walk on. I witness. I wish I could fly.

Yoga mat tho(ugh)ts.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 9:18 PM

I'm so glad they're axing the parking garage on Clarence but are there any plans for the one on York connecting to George? They seem to keep it in the renderings but the York entrance will surely be covered if the area becomes pedestrian right?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald's Racoon View Post
I'm so glad they're axing the parking garage on Clarence but are there any plans for the one on York connecting to George? They seem to keep it in the renderings but the York entrance will surely be covered if the area becomes pedestrian right?
The one between York and George is privately owned and will remain as is under the current plans.

The plan to compensate for the lost parking on Clarence is to partner with a developer to build new public parking somewhere at the edge of the Market. They may also build underground parking as part of the replacement "destination building" project.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:53 AM

^ The city already has another garage on Clarence (east of Dalhousie) that in my experience, always seems to have plenty of spaces available.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
^ The city already has another garage on Clarence (east of Dalhousie) that in my experience, always seems to have plenty of spaces available.
I've been aware of it for a decade or so, but never used it. The Clarence garage or the Cathedral parking have always been my go to. It's like parking East of Dalhousie is a psychological barrier.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:39 AM

[QUOTE=mykl;9288331I would wager that a majority of tourists would not end up in many of the areas she describes, as they would likely enter the market from the Sussex/Rideau area and tourists tend to stick to the pretty vibrant areas. This whole thing is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Tourists are usually unfamiliar with an area. It isn't obvious that you're supposed to avoid Rideau (and several blocks north of Rideau) and anything East of Dalhousie, particularly since the maps and marketing material suggest these areas are part of the market district. In any other city tourists would expect an area like the market, close to the seat of government, major national museums, major hotels and a large shopping and convention centre complex would receive extra attention from law enforcement, extra cleaning, extra maintenance, etc.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I've been aware of it for a decade or so, but never used it. The Clarence garage or the Cathedral parking have always been my go to. It's like parking East of Dalhousie is a psychological barrier.
It's by far the most convenient place to park in the market, cheaper than the other garages and usually significant availability, even in busy times.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
I get the point she's trying to make with that article, but it makes no sense. If she lives in Sandy Hill, how is she avoiding the Rideau Centre to travel north/northwest, and then ending up at the worst parts of the eastern end of Rideau? Also, she has selected vignettes of the worst parts of the area. I would wager that a majority of tourists would not end up in many of the areas she describes, as they would likely enter the market from the Sussex/Rideau area and tourists tend to stick to the pretty vibrant areas. This whole thing is ridiculous.
If you don't live in Sandy Hill and walk down Rideau, you won't ever understand. The area always had its characters, but it's gotten MUCH worse year after year for about 8 years now. Why is it ok if tourists can 'avoid the worst parts of the area' and it's ok for people to actually live in the worst parts of the area?

I'm really really curious about the impact of thousands of new residents on upper Rideau. The amount of construction is astounding, for just one street. I loved walking down upper Rideau, it always had a small town vibe (this is mid 2000's). Have avoided in the last 3 or 4 years as it's gotten unpleasant.

Walking to and through the Rideau Centre from Sandy hill is actually not a great route, it's quite unpleasant (nicholas, traffic sewers, the literal crowd in front of the mission) and doesn't accomplish anything if you're headed to the central market.

The question isn't whether homeless shelters and soup kitchens should be moved or rebuilt. I don't think moving the population will actually solve anything. The question is what are the major drivers of mental illness and homelessness, and why does it feel like the population has exploded? Is it the loss of residential support? Loss of church communities? Did we just stop caring? Funding? New drugs? The Economy?

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Tourists are usually unfamiliar with an area. It isn't obvious that you're supposed to avoid Rideau (and several blocks north of Rideau) and anything East of Dalhousie, particularly since the maps and marketing material suggest these areas are part of the market district. In any other city tourists would expect an area like the market, close to the seat of government, major national museums, major hotels and a large shopping and convention centre complex would receive extra attention from law enforcement, extra cleaning, extra maintenance, etc.
It reminds me of Vancouver. We visited in 2019, walking down East Hastings in Chinatown. Chinatown has a bit of a sketchy vibe, but it's still a pleasant experience. But as soon as you cross Main, it's a complete change of atmosphere, far worse than what I've experienced on Rideau. It feels like a different city from Chinatown. We got yelled at immediately after stepping on the sidewalk and turned around quick.

I agree with OTownandDown. The solution isn't to move the shelters, clinics and social services to other parts of the city, which seems to partly be the City's objective with the Salvation Army move to Vanier. It's to help figure out the best way to help these individuals starting with proper housing.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:28 PM

Agreed the solution is not just about moving these services to other parts of the city (we need to tackle the issue head on and there is probably more the city can do to tackle the issue at heart) BUT there is no reason for us to have so many of these services clustered together in such a tight area. This essentially creates the "guetto" that it is today.

Salvation Army (George)
Ottawa mission (Daly)
Shephards of Good Hope (King Edward)

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
It reminds me of Vancouver. We visited in 2019, walking down East Hastings in Chinatown. Chinatown has a bit of a sketchy vibe, but it's still a pleasant experience. But as soon as you cross Main, it's a complete change of atmosphere, far worse than what I've experienced on Rideau. It feels like a different city from Chinatown. We got yelled at immediately after stepping on the sidewalk and turned around quick.

I agree with OTownandDown. The solution isn't to move the shelters, clinics and social services to other parts of the city, which seems to partly be the City's objective with the Salvation Army move to Vanier. It's to help figure out the best way to help these individuals starting with proper housing.
Thankfully Rideau is a long, long way from the situation in the Downtown East Side. But high concentrations of poverty and homelessness are never a good thing. It would be great to see Ottawa move full on into a housing first strategy.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2021, 12:12 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The post-COVID ByWard Market will look different — and better

Zachary Dayler
Publishing date: Jun 05, 2021 • 12 hours ago • 3 minute read

What is in a market? Visions of farmers, carriages or packed parkades come to mind. What about a market after COVID-19?

Temperatures are rising; we are entering the summer months in year two of a global pandemic that we all, unrealistically, thought would be over by now. Raging on, COVID-19 has created a pressure cooker of issues in cities across Canada, as our unemployment rate hovers around eight per cent.

The pandemic has highlighted the prominent social issues that are damaging lives and impacting our streets. Not just in the ByWard Market area, but at most any major intersection in this city, you will experience the impact of the pandemic on the economy. More worrisome, we see more and more makeshift “homes” and people sleeping on the street.

COVID-19 has shattered the standard service or tourism business model, our buildings and facilities have been closed down by provincial orders, and retail has been forced online or to curbside pickup. For ByWard, this is especially difficult, as the area has been built around a singular tourism focus for the last number of decades, not to mention the fact that the “walkthrough traffic” of public servants and conference attendees is all but gone.

In 2018, the city of Ottawa created not-for-profit Marchés d’Ottawa Markets. The corporation is charged with reviving our public markets program in ByWard and Wellington West (Parkdale). The rebuild also falls in line with a larger plan for the ByWard Market area. The recently approved public realm plan sets a $130-million vision and direction for rebuilding public space, intending to create a destination where residents and visitors can experience Canada’s and Ottawa’s best, curated in a pedestrian-focused area.

We are at a turning point, and any change needs to accept we have reached a low end, then set to work moving forward. Ottawa Markets is endeavouring to do things differently. Our team is focused on creating new economic opportunities. For the first time in some years, applications have reopened, and the recruitment process has seen more than 150 new applications. We also implemented a Farmers’ First policy, launched a Black, Indigenous and Peoples of Colour (BIPOC) Initiative, and excitedly opened the York Street Farmers’ market on Saturdays. This is just the beginning, and we are confident these efforts will help grow back our markets program and the area.

Our renewed focus on local and regional products will come with a bit of a different experience. You won’t see products the way you once did; while you will still be able to get fresh produce in the area seven days a week, we have tightened the rules, allowing only regional and Canadian produce sold. The market will have something different and exciting with each season — or if we are outside a particular season, you can have confidence that the product came from a Canadian grower.

More than ever, we need to come together as a city to support and encourage the regrowth and the rebuild, refocusing and resuscitating the ByWard precinct as a model for other communities. A place where the best of Ottawa converges.

Have no illusions: This won’t happen overnight, but the work has begun. We hope the Ottawa Markets program will provide a much-needed opportunity in our city to reconnect with valuable public space while also becoming educated about what is on our plate or in our cupboards.

How do we make this work? We need Ottawa residents to listen and follow COVID-19 protocols while relearning how to get back out there safely. This summer, we encourage you to take a walk through the ByWard or Parkdale markets. Get reacquainted with the local butcher or grocer, the farmer, or the crafter. Keep coming back. Build shopping local, whether in ByWard, Wellington West or one of the other unique neighbourhoods across this city, into your routine. Together we have an opportunity to reshape this city and what it means to support local.

Zachary Dayler is Executive Director, Marchés d’Ottawa Markets.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/da...ent-and-better

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 11:01 AM

Reminder of HBC's ugliness. Really hoping that the planned redevelopment includes a complete rebuild of the Freiman mall and the George face.

https://twitter.com/mchkzn/status/1406679190267645956

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:

While there is definitely a homelessness problem in Ottawa, the people referred to as homeless in the market area have addiction and mental health issues that will not be solved with housing.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
While there is definitely a homelessness problem in Ottawa, the people referred to as homeless in the market area have addiction and mental health issues that will not be solved with housing.
Of course housing is only part of the solution. But it's a pretty big one, the biggest. A safe roof over your head is the most basic human need.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
The post-COVID ByWard Market will look different — and better

Zachary Dayler
Publishing date: Jun 05, 2021 • 12 hours ago • 3 minute read

What is in a market? Visions of farmers, carriages or packed parkades come to mind. What about a market after COVID-19?

Temperatures are rising; we are entering the summer months in year two of a global pandemic that we all, unrealistically, thought would be over by now. Raging on, COVID-19 has created a pressure cooker of issues in cities across Canada, as our unemployment rate hovers around eight per cent.

The pandemic has highlighted the prominent social issues that are damaging lives and impacting our streets. Not just in the ByWard Market area, but at most any major intersection in this city, you will experience the impact of the pandemic on the economy. More worrisome, we see more and more makeshift “homes” and people sleeping on the street.

COVID-19 has shattered the standard service or tourism business model, our buildings and facilities have been closed down by provincial orders, and retail has been forced online or to curbside pickup. For ByWard, this is especially difficult, as the area has been built around a singular tourism focus for the last number of decades, not to mention the fact that the “walkthrough traffic” of public servants and conference attendees is all but gone.

In 2018, the city of Ottawa created not-for-profit Marchés d’Ottawa Markets. The corporation is charged with reviving our public markets program in ByWard and Wellington West (Parkdale). The rebuild also falls in line with a larger plan for the ByWard Market area. The recently approved public realm plan sets a $130-million vision and direction for rebuilding public space, intending to create a destination where residents and visitors can experience Canada’s and Ottawa’s best, curated in a pedestrian-focused area.

We are at a turning point, and any change needs to accept we have reached a low end, then set to work moving forward. Ottawa Markets is endeavouring to do things differently. Our team is focused on creating new economic opportunities. For the first time in some years, applications have reopened, and the recruitment process has seen more than 150 new applications. We also implemented a Farmers’ First policy, launched a Black, Indigenous and Peoples of Colour (BIPOC) Initiative, and excitedly opened the York Street Farmers’ market on Saturdays. This is just the beginning, and we are confident these efforts will help grow back our markets program and the area.

Our renewed focus on local and regional products will come with a bit of a different experience. You won’t see products the way you once did; while you will still be able to get fresh produce in the area seven days a week, we have tightened the rules, allowing only regional and Canadian produce sold. The market will have something different and exciting with each season — or if we are outside a particular season, you can have confidence that the product came from a Canadian grower.

More than ever, we need to come together as a city to support and encourage the regrowth and the rebuild, refocusing and resuscitating the ByWard precinct as a model for other communities. A place where the best of Ottawa converges.

Have no illusions: This won’t happen overnight, but the work has begun. We hope the Ottawa Markets program will provide a much-needed opportunity in our city to reconnect with valuable public space while also becoming educated about what is on our plate or in our cupboards.

How do we make this work? We need Ottawa residents to listen and follow COVID-19 protocols while relearning how to get back out there safely. This summer, we encourage you to take a walk through the ByWard or Parkdale markets. Get reacquainted with the local butcher or grocer, the farmer, or the crafter. Keep coming back. Build shopping local, whether in ByWard, Wellington West or one of the other unique neighbourhoods across this city, into your routine. Together we have an opportunity to reshape this city and what it means to support local.

Zachary Dayler is Executive Director, Marchés d’Ottawa Markets.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/da...ent-and-better
The market part of "The Market" was nearing collapse before Covid. I am sure there are lots of factors.

"Farmers’ First policy, launched a Black, Indigenous and Peoples of Colour (BIPOC) Initiative, and excitedly opened the York Street Farmers’ market on Saturdays"

None of these seem to be addressing any of that. It has value as a tourist draw so is worth subsidizing and encouraging more actual farmers. I am not sure how high on the list having a diverse vegetable seller experience is.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Of course housing is only part of the solution. But it's a pretty big one, the biggest. A safe roof over your head is the most basic human need.
Technically food and water are bigger needs, but point taken.

Giving someone with addiction and mental health issues housing does not solve the market’s problems. Those with addiction issues will still need drugs and money for drugs, both of which provide an incentive to continue to hang around the market area.

“Housing first” was trendy a few years ago but had largely failed.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Technically food and water are bigger needs, but point taken.

Giving someone with addiction and mental health issues housing does not solve the market’s problems. Those with addiction issues will still need drugs and money for drugs, both of which provide an incentive to continue to hang around the market area.

“Housing first” was trendy a few years ago but had largely failed.
Yeah, food and water. I guess I didn't think of that because those are more accessible.

Not sure we can say housing first failed if we didn't really try.

I agree, housing won't solve everything. We need to provide housing and addiction counselling. We can only help those who want to get help. We need to have a multifaceted approach.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues