HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 11:24 PM

and another by me from Friday, May 31st:

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:51 PM
life in the present

More glazing and pre-cast concrete installed at Coal Harbour Phase II.
Photos by me.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 7:30 PM

The execution leaves to be desired but i just don't understand the design / materials rationale. Would having chosen some colour for this site have killed anyone?

It looks like they designed a penitentiary on the waterfront.

I was recently in toronto and was quite impressed with the out-of-the-box design approach along the waterfront east of Yonge.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:13 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanight93 View Post
The execution leaves to be desired but i just don't understand the design / materials rationale. Would having chosen some colour for this site have killed anyone?

It looks like they designed a penitentiary on the waterfront.

I was recently in toronto and was quite impressed with the out-of-the-box design approach along the waterfront east of Yonge.
It's odd indeed, especially given how small the windows are in the residential tower with respect to a location that affords such incredible views. I'm also not a fan of the mismatched glazing for the school and the residential portion.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
It's odd indeed, especially given how small the windows are in the residential tower with respect to a location that affords such incredible views. I'm also not a fan of the mismatched glazing for the school and the residential portion.
Aren't the small windows a function of new energy efficiency guidelines? Lack of colour is probably a function of cost if this is a government-owned building.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:00 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Aren't the small windows a function of new energy efficiency guidelines? Lack of colour is probably a function of cost if this is a government-owned building.
Didn't think of that, are there different guidelines for government buildings / social housing projects? The window size seems unchanged on new market condos and rentals.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
WRT energy efficiency, I think so, yes.
As for colour, social housing tends to have more colour than market condos, since it's a captive audience, so that is odd
- unless it's a Coal Harbour (nothing loud to upset the neighbours) perspective.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
WRT energy efficiency, I think so, yes.
As for colour, social housing tends to have more colour than market condos, since it's a captive audience, so that is odd
- unless it's a Coal Harbour (nothing loud to upset the neighbours) perspective.
The green glass era is dead, we're currently in the black and white era of Lower Mainland architecture. This development is no different.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 6:43 AM

I miss the green glass era already. A little copper or green pigment in the precast mix would've helped immensely. They could've also done metal panel, which would have way more colour opportunities at negligible extra cost

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
I miss the green glass era already. A little copper or green pigment in the precast mix would've helped immensely. They could've also done metal panel, which would have way more colour opportunities at negligible extra cost
I believe the accurate term is "seafoam".

Plenty to look at still if you are missing it.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 8:30 PM

Good news for businesses in Gastown, as well as for those planning to walk there.

Quote:
Gastown square reopens after red bricks replaced by hand
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/gastown-square...e%20accessible.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 9:23 PM

It's weird how they say "Maple Tree Square" was closed. I thought only the roadway was closed. I've sat at Six Acres patio multiple times during construction.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
It's weird how they say "Maple Tree Square" was closed. I thought only the roadway was closed. I've sat at Six Acres patio multiple times during construction.
I suppose the road is considered part of Maple Tree Square. I was there yesterday and now without vehicular traffic, the square does look quite wide. There were also quite a lot of singing buskers stationed every couple of blocks, including a band at the new mini-square at Blood Alley. Nice ambience though. Should find more people there today and over the weekend.

Need to point out that even though the brickword is a lot better than what it used to be, the quality isn't quite there yet. I could still see some asphalt patches in several spots. Also wish that the Gassy Jack statue is brought back.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I suppose the road is considered part of Maple Tree Square. I was there yesterday and now without vehicular traffic, the square does look quite wide. There were also quite a lot of singing buskers stationed every couple of blocks, including a band at the new mini-square at Blood Alley. Nice ambience though. Should find more people there today and over the weekend.

Need to point out that even though the brickword is a lot better than what it used to be, the quality isn't quite there yet. I could still see some asphalt patches in several spots. Also wish that the Gassy Jack statue is brought back.
As you're kind enough to mention it, the reduced budget $1.1m patch job (where they did it) is OK, but it just shows up the larger area of broken and missing bricks with asphalt patches that they haven't touched. It's barely half assed - (not a full cheek's worth). Thank you ABC?

At least the full $4.5m was agreed for the Trounce Alley repaving. That doesn't start yet, though, supposedly spring 2025. When it was first paved with bricks in 1903 there was consternation among draymen and livery stables that it would take 10 days for a large force of men to complete the work. My guess it will take longer. and cost a bit more than 21c per square foot that it cost then. They phased construction so one side was completed, and then the other, so traffic could always go through.

Here's the Thursday night music schedule. Gastown BIA.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 8:59 PM
life in the present

Some curtain-wall type glazing being installed at Coal Harbour Phase II.
Photos by me.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 7:07 PM

There is a new rezoning submission for 1150 Barclay. This is replacing an existing proposal with an approved DP for an 11 storey, 21 unit, strata building.

Now proposed is a 20 storey tower with 152 rental units and an FSR of 9.15. This is non-compliant with the West End Plan.

https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=232837672

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 7:36 PM

Royal Centre Expansion

Pics by me June 15th:

PS - the SE corner is largely intact, with just a cut-out at the back for the canopy to attach.
You can see the SE corner in the rendering below (while the SW corner is fully within the new restaurant/retail space).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Everything you can see in the picture was completed in 1973, so it's all over 50 years old.

When the work is completed, it should look something like this, with a big canopy, and a new cafe in the base of the tower.

More images at this link. [Royal Centre]

Last edited by officedweller; Jun 17, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
There is a new rezoning submission for 1150 Barclay. This is replacing an existing proposal with an approved DP for an 11 storey, 21 unit, strata building.

Now proposed is a 20 storey tower with 152 rental units and an FSR of 9.15. This is non-compliant with the West End Plan.

https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=232837672
Ah you beat me to this, good catch

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Cineplex's The Rec Room entertainment centre in downtown Vancouver to open in Fall 2024

The opening of Cineplex’s The Rec Room Granville location in downtown Vancouver is now just months away, with an opening slated for early Fall 2024.

This will be Metro Vancouver’s second The Rec Room entertainment centre, following the 2021 opening of the location at The Amazing Brentwood mall in Burnaby...

Link
Better late than never?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
1065 Pacific

Revised design:
Does the design come with the sale? If an experienced developer like Wall doesn't think they can make money why would anyone else make the leap?

Wall Financial Selling Planned 32-Storey Rental Project In Vancouver West End
​The rezoning application for 1065 Pacific Street was approved in March 2024, but the project was recently listed by Colliers.
Howard Chai
June 19, 2024

Less than two years after submitting a rezoning application for the project, Wall Financial Corporation is backing out of its planned high-rise rental project at 1065 Pacific Street in the West End of Vancouver.

As previously outlined by STOREYS, the project is a 32-storey rental tower with 144 market rental units and 36 below-market rental units near the intersection with Thurlow Street, just two blocks away from Sunset Beach.

The site is currently occupied by a three-storey residential building originally constructed in 1963, according to BC Assessment, which values the property at $17,820,300. Wall Financial Corporation owns the property under W.F.C. Properties (Pacific) Inc., according to the Land Owner Transparency Registry.

According to the City of Vancouver, the rezoning application for the project was received on December 13, 2022, considered by the Urban Design Panel on May 10, 2023, and approved by Council at a public hearing on March 12, 2024.

However, the property was recently listed for sale, without an asking price, by Simon Lim, James Lang, and Jessica Hathaway of Colliers, who note that the rezoning approval "mitigates permitting risk on the site and provides immense time savings for construction start."...

....Wall Financial previously acquired 1065 Pacific Street for $18,950,000, in an early-2023 deal that was brokered by Goodman Commercial.

It is unclear why Wall Financial is now selling the property. STOREYS has made multiple attempts to reach Wall Financial over the past two weeks and has not received a response....

https://storeys.com/wall-financial-1...eet-vancouver/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver