HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 8:35 PM

AGREE - any team will do and preferable not Phoenix

DISAGREE - the team HAS to be called the JETS.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 10:27 PM

No matter what nickname they come up with many people will still call them the Jets for years. Eventually they'll use the new name but I'd like the Jets...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 10:38 PM

Personally, I thought the 'Jets' name was awesome. Same goes with the two logos your team used. But what does my opinion matter... I'm just an Oilers fan.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 11:00 PM
GQMF

They have to stick with the name and jerseys.

^beautifullll

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 11:51 PM
The Loyal Opposition

If we do get an NHL team, I'd also like it to be called The Winnipeg Jets, but think that would only be appropriate if it were the Coyotes to relocate here.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2009, 11:57 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ I am in total agreement with that.

The Jets/Coyotes franchise is cursed, and the Jets name has no real significance to me.
You obviously weren't around in the 1970s. Good lord, what sacrilege.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:33 AM
ILYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I agree. The Jets have had some very good teams. In fact during the mid-80's they had some quality teams. Problem was during those years the Oliers were a step above everyone and nobody could get past them. Some basic team stats:

Winnipeg Jets
WHA 302 W 227 L 26 T
made playoffs 6 of 7 seasons
NHL 506 W 660 L 172 T
made playoffs 11 of 17 seasons
Totals 808 W 887 L 198 T
made playoffs 17 of 24 seasons
(Note 106 of those NHL loses were in the first 2 seasons after the team had been striped of all its good players)

Phoenix Coyotes
NHL 420 W 416 L 94 T 47 OTL
made playoffs 5 of 12 seasons

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
There, fixed your post for you. You can thank me another time.

The Balsillie logic doesn't flow since any prospective owner here won't likely try to bully their way into the league.
lol...who has over 200 million to bring a team to Winnipeg? Get real. Bettman doesn't want any more Canadian teams no matter what. He says in emails he is positive about Winnipeg to appear friendly knowing all too well that NO ONE will spend the money on a team for Winnipeg nor does anyone have that kind of money in Winnipeg. Ignorance really is bliss. Show me the money?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:40 AM
BANNED

does anyone here have an idea as to why the Jets were named the Jets in the first place? I have a thought and was wondering what others think.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayward_prince View Post
lol...who has over 200 million to bring a team to Winnipeg? Get real. Bettman doesn't want any more Canadian teams no matter what. He says in emails he is positive about Winnipeg to appear friendly knowing all too well that NO ONE will spend the money on a team for Winnipeg nor does anyone have that kind of money in Winnipeg. Ignorance really is bliss. Show me the money?
I'm not saying for a second that they'd be at all interested, but there are people who do have that kind of money in Winnipeg. For instance, the family right below Jim Balsillie in the "Richest in Canada" list:

http://list.canadianbusiness.com/ran...spx?profile=19

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 12:57 AM

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 1:07 AM
BANNED

Not entirely sure but I think it comes down to two theories:

1. The Winnipeg franchise landed Bobby Hull, the "Golden Jet", who was to become the league superstar, and ambadassor for the new league.

2. The significance of the Aerospace industry in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:30 AM

Here is the story

The Jets name came from Ben Haskin (original owner of the WHA Jets) whom was very very good friends with the owner of the the New York Jets at the time. Out of respect and a tribute to his friend he named the team "Jets" after the New York Jets.

The Golden Jet had nothing to do with the name Jet's as he had that nick name before he came to Winnipeg...

Sorry guys but that is the real coincidental truth..

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:30 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
does anyone here have an idea as to why the Jets were named the Jets in the first place? I have a thought and was wondering what others think.
There is a great book about the history of the Winnipeg Jets out .. and is full of great facts and information about the team.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:45 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegger5 View Post
The Jets name came from Ben Haskin (original owner of the WHA Jets) whom was very very good friends with the owner of the the New York Jets at the time. Out of respect and a tribute to his friend he named the team "Jets" after the New York Jets.

The Golden Jet had nothing to do with the name Jet's as he had that nick name before he came to Winnipeg...

Sorry guys but that is the real coincidental truth..
I've never heard that before. It doesn't ring true because the WCMJHL (now WHL) team in Winnipeg had been using the "Jets" name for several years already (the name was eventually changed to the Clubs and then the Monarchs). And there is no way that it didn't at least tangentially refer to Winnipeg's aeronautical history, which was a major part of the city's self-image in the World War II and postwar eras. You're right about the Golden Jet part, though. That was a coincidence unless it was part of the master plan to attract Hull.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:46 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
born in '77.

I only heard the stories of the glory days of the Jets.

To me the Jets name died when the franchise left. If the NHL returns it will be time for a new start. Unless of course it ends up being the Coyotes again. In that particular case I could see naming them the Jets again.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 2:47 AM

Quote:
I've never heard that before. It doesn't ring true because the WCMJHL (now WHL) team in Winnipeg had been using the "Jets" name for several years already (the name was eventually changed to the Clubs and then the Monarchs). And there is no way that it didn't at least tangentially refer to Winnipeg's aeronautical history, which was a major part of the city's self-image in the World War II and postwar eras. You're right about the Golden Jet part, though. That was a coincidence unless it was part of the master plan to attract Hull.
Maybe I am wrong so hopefully someone can get the real story..if mine is not true..

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 3:43 AM
surely you agree with me

ben hatskin was a huge football fan and accomplished player...one of the first canadians to play in an american university, he had a scholarship to oklahoma...he played 6 or seven years for the bombers, winning a few grey cups.

he was the owner of the junior team called the winnipeg jets, named after the football team in new york.....when he got a WHA team the name came with....as unromantic as that is, its the way it happened.

it was a happy coincidence that they then went on to sign the golden jet.

drew, i agree with you that the name has no specific connection to winnipeg in the way that it doesnt really describe something about the place, but i whole heartedly disagree that the name has no meaning to the city.

the jets name is engrained in the history of this place....for anyone slightly older than you (me) they define youth for a generation of winnipeggers...they also had a number of long lasting, significant contributions to the sport, including most importantly opening the gates for the north american game to become international.

the tradition of being the marquis franchise of the WHA...a league that forced the NHL into expansion

the first million dollar player signing

the first team to bring european players to north america, which created an open, offensive style of hockey....glen sather has said that the offensive minded oilers of the early 80's, who transformed the league, were modelled after the european style jets of the WHA.

the first club team to beat the russian red army

the first western team to play in the prestigious izvestia cup tournament in russia

NHL's longest winless streak of 30 games

the 5 thirty goal scorers season

selanne's rookie scoring record

the elton john song 'benny and the jets'

i lived in scandinavia for more than a year and you would be surprised how many people would immediately respond with 'the jets', after i told them that i was from winnipeg.

the name is currently owned by barry shenkarow, so a new team owner would have to negotiate those rights from him.

Last edited by trueviking; Oct 6, 2009 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 3:59 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

the name is currently owned by barry shenkarow, so a new team owner would have to negotiate those rights from him.
I am very sure that the NHL owns the name Jets and all its previous logos and images ... and a new team in Winnipeg would still be able to claim the name if they descided, although when the team left Winnpeg Bettman said that no team outside of Winnipeg would ever be allowed to use the name.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 4:18 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
do you think for a single second before you open your pie hole?.....everything you say is based in complete ignorance.

firstly, balsillie was rejected because he wanted to move a team into the toronto market....the situations are not comparable....had he wanted to move a team to winnipeg we would have had a team a year ago.

secondly, there are a number of extremely rich people and companies in winnipeg...as many as in hamilton, quebec, ottawa, edmonton....

thirdly, the entire point of this discussion is that an owner has apparently surfaced....the thompson family (the richest in canada).

the thompson family connection is real and has been there for a number of years...they are part owners of the MTS centre through their development company osmington....they are also part owners of true north, the company who run that facility. They also own a number of properties around the MTS centre, including the old powerhouse....i think its amazing that the media hasnt picked up on the fact that they are part owners...it stems from them being the owners of the eatons building....shares in true north were given to them in exchange for the site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan