HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 6:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
I feel like housing on top would just be a hindrance. Like no noise after 10pm etc. I don’t think housing and entertainment really go hand in hand.
That is a fair point, cant say I thought about that.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2024, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Impressive Theatre and Arts centre. wow!

What is the status of this project?
It's currently in detail design. Construction to follow in 2025.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2024, 4:38 AM

Here are more clearer renderings of the 6storey building set to start construction this year at 156 Tranquille road at the former Red Sea Auto Sales.

IMG_4945 by Jr Jensen, on Flickr

The top picture is the front of the building that faces Tranquille Road. I feel like the front of the building is the nicest part, not crazy about the back of the building, but I won’t be back there to see it lol

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 3:35 AM

It's better than a dirt parking lot, I'll give them that . Looks like 320 Tranquille is about to break ground. Site office was delivered this week.

Started taking pictures in November to show the progress of City gardens from the North Shore. Half way mark in the Feb picture.

November 2023

December 2023

February 2024

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
It's better than a dirt parking lot, I'll give them that . Looks like 320 Tranquille is about to break ground. Site office was delivered this week.

Started taking pictures in November to show the progress of City gardens from the North Shore. Half way mark in the Feb picture.

November 2023

December 2023

February 2024
Man it's gonna be so visible from almost everywhere in Kamloops, super cool!

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 12:12 AM
Project manger

Large rental development on Eighth Street in North Kamloops approved by city council

Plans for a mixed-use development aiming to bring nearly 200 units of rental housing to the North Shore were given the green light from Kamloops council Tuesday after a public hearing.

Council members voted unanimously to approve a development permit application for The Pulse on Eighth, which will be built over 1006, 1014 and 1024 Eighth St., and agreed to discharge a no-build covenant which will allow the two six-storey buildings to rise.

Coun. Nancy Bepple acknowledged concerns raised during the public hearing by homeowners who live adjacent to the development site, but said she would vote in favour of the project.

“Especially for seniors and people who can't afford a house — they need somewhere to go to live," Bepple said.

"It's on the bus routes. It's going to meet a lot of housing needs within our city. I appreciate that it will change the neighbourhood — but I guess my neighbourhood is in transition too. I think that’s part of what happens with older neighbourhoods.”

The development includes plans for two six-storey buildings. The first building will include 126 rental market units, ranging from studios to two-bedroom suites. The second building will include 65 affordable rental suites for seniors, ranging in size from studio to one-bedroom units. Both buildings will have commercial space on the ground floor.

The build will include an underground parkade and at-grade parking around the buildings, with access to and from the northbound lanes of Eighth Street. A rear lane will connect the development to Richmond Avenue south of the site.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 6:49 PM
Project manger

Kamloops city council approves revamped plans for mixed-use build in Station Plaza

Kamloops city council has given the green light to a three-storey development slated to rise next to the historic rail station in downtown Kamloops.

During its Tuesday meeting, council voted in favour of issuing a variance permit allowing a parking stall reduction and a development permit for the build. Developers had returned to city hall with a refreshed design after council denied an application put forward last year.

The meeting was attended by a number of people who live in the vicinity of the 520 Lorne St. development site, many of whom spoke in front of council outlining their concerns with the project.

Coun. Mike O’Reilly noted there was “a lot of emotion” around the Station Plaza property.

“When I looked specifically at the concerns last time, and what the developer has done to address each of the individual concerns, there was very big changes,” O’Reilly said.

The developer took 1.5 metres off the top of the building in response to residents’ concerns about its height.

“I really think that they went way out of their way to listen to the people from last time, and made the changes to something that's acceptable and appropriate for that area. So I look forward to seeing this complete,” O'Reilly said.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 7:21 PM

Nice to see 8th street getting some life added to it. Busy street, but little development on it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 6:24 AM

As of now, Kamloops city gardens construction of the Trillium tower is Thirteen floors, (going on 14) when these two concrete floors are complete, Trillium at city gardens will be 15 Floors which will then be the tallest building in Kamloops ( floor wise ) I’m guessing with their speed and this weather right now, they will surpass the Acacia Tower on Nicola and Fourth St which is the most tallest currently. I’m guessing that the 15th floor would be complete in about 2.5 weeks… Things are getting spicy in the downtown core!!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 3:13 PM

Quote:

November 2023

December 2023

February 2024

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing Kamloops go more vertical in the future, so much potential with its great downtown core.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 6:13 PM

The proper mid-rise density is already there. It's gonna look great when that development is topped out.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 3:15 AM

The pacific Pointe development on Rogers Way (1270 Rogers Way) that was initially supposed to be a 6 - story apartment building has just submitted a re-zoning and development application to change the zoning back to a hotel property and build a 6 - story hotel there instead

Here's their updated design... Very interesting that they're changing course.

Last edited by mindcash; Mar 9, 2024 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 10:37 PM
Project manger

Kamloops council looking at 2 projects in Valley View and North Kamloops

VALLEY VIEW

NORTH KAMLOOPS

A pair of multi-family development permit applications will go before Kamloops council Tuesday, including a proposed 11-unit build on Tranquille Road, and a similar sized building in Valleyview.

Council will consider a rezoning application and development permit application for a site at 2442 and 2448 Tranquille Rd.

“The applicant wishes to remove the existing home and accessory buildings on the properties and construct a new, 11-unit multi-family development consisting of one five-unit building and one six-unit building,” said a staff report prepared for council.

According to the report, the proposed buildings will include two and three bedroom units, and are limited to three storeys in height to help the development fit in with neighbouring single family homes.

“Required off-street parking is proposed to be provided on the surface at the rear of the site, and in the garages at the front of the inward-facing buildings,” the report said.

Another development permit application has been submitted for a proposed four-storey, 12 unit residential building in Valleyview.

The development would be located at 2589 Sunset Dr.

“The site is located directly adjacent to a service commercial use and single-family dwellings,” the staff report said, noting the applicant wishes to remove the existing fourplex on the property to make way for the new construction.

The development will consist of one and two bedroom units, and will include room for 18 parking stalls.

During Tuesday's meeting, council will be asked to consider issuing a development permit for the Sunset Drive build. It will be asked to authorize a notice of public intent to consider the zoning changes necessary for the proposed Tranquille development.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 10:39 PM
Project manger

Not a big fan of the North Kamloops building... Looks like the principle architect was RONA. I guess for low income housing... its not bad compared to what weve already got from years gone by.

The Valley View project will likely never be seen by anyone, interesting place for infill though.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 5:26 AM

Well that hotel really went down hill compared to the apartment, which looked pretty good. Probably a better use for that location though. Looks like from the rendering there will be a new restaurant, which is a bonus.

The dump that is the Tounament Inn out in Valleyview is getting redeveloped into a hotel/apartment/commercial in 3 separate buildings. Hopefully that goes through because that property is ghetto af. Valleyview could use a new hotel.

The City's website also shows a mixed use/commercial multi family development at 360 Columbia Street. Curious what that is?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Well that hotel really went down hill compared to the apartment, which looked pretty good. Probably a better use for that location though. Looks like from the rendering there will be a new restaurant, which is a bonus.

The dump that is the Tounament Inn out in Valleyview is getting redeveloped into a hotel/apartment/commercial in 3 separate buildings. Hopefully that goes through because that property is ghetto af. Valleyview could use a new hotel.

The City's website also shows a mixed use/commercial multi family development at 360 Columbia Street. Curious what that is?
Been searching for info about that Tournament Inn Redevelopment, any website or designs posted yet?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 7:05 PM

A quick picture of City Gardens from RIH this morning. Can't wait for the second tower to start rising.

Media by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 8:21 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Nice update, and great shot, Tom.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:50 PM

Pretty disappointing to see what was originally a proposal for a 14 story apt building on Seymour, now dropped to 6 stories.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:40 PM

BcTom, what a fantastic image of the tower! It really gives it scale of size from the surroundings!!

Mind cash, does anyone know why they went from a 14 storey building to just six? I feel we need more variety in density of our buildings, I can name countless buildings that are 6 storeys tall in Kamloops, I feel that the building height was appropriate for the area as there are taller buildings in the surroundings. ( 9, 11 and 13 storey buildings around the site ) People want to live downtown and dropping the amount of units does not help with the Provincial mandate set for Kamloops. ( to build 4200 more housing units in just 5 years... )

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia