HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
add Smitty's at SGR and Tower to that list
Well technically its Martello St but who really cares?

I've eaten there though and of all trhe Smittys ive been to its the most cramped. Its a very small location.

Speaking of that section of SGR does anyone know how the Sacred Heart Expansion is coming along. They must be close to done by now...

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 9:02 PM

The siding is three quarters of the way up the wall on the side that's facing SGR. And let me tell you, the fake stone blocks that make up the first few feet from the ground up look cheap and nasty!! They could not have purposely chosen a more inappropriate material. They resemble cinder blocks, and even to the untrained eye, they appear out of place and inauthentic. The brick cladding above the mentioned Faux cinder blocks is marginally less offencive, but over all the siding of the entire structure is becoming a eyesore.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 9:14 PM

Well it is a private school. The headmistress wouldn't want to spend too much money, it might affect her salary

They'll probably plant some trees out front thankfully.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 10:16 PM

A small bit of futher news on the Marquee. They just had on CTV news that Sprychek is bankrupt and owes about $500,000 to creditors. Apparently the Economy Shoe Shop is safe but the Marquee is truly a goner. It'll be interesting to see if he tries to sell the place to pay off the loss.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 7:01 PM

I was driving thru Burnside yesterday and noticed that the old Maritime Steel site looks totally abandoned. That is a huge chunk of land in a prime spot at the corner of Windmill and Victoria, across from the Fairley and Stevens Ford dealership. I wonder if anything is planned for it?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I was driving thru Burnside yesterday and noticed that the old Maritime Steel site looks totally abandoned. That is a huge chunk of land in a prime spot at the corner of Windmill and Victoria, across from the Fairley and Stevens Ford dealership. I wonder if anything is planned for it?
That lot has looked like that for years. I wish they would do something with it but from what i can tell most of the work is done inside so it always looks abandoned.

Last night I watched the CTV News and they had a section on St. Joesph's Church. Apparently its being tore down to make way for a condo complex to be built by Empire. Does anyone know anything else on this?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 11:46 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That is the one around Gottingen/Russell Street? Haven't heard anything about it.

I hope a few neighbourhood churches are preserved, and at the very least that they try to keep some of the stonework, stained glass, bells, etc. of those that are demolished. Most of them are much more elaborate buildings than the average condo.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
The land is for sale, or was sometime ago. Nice location for sure.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 6:11 PM

I noticed the former City Pizza building at SGR and South Park was torn down recently.

Are they just replacing it or building something new?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I noticed the former City Pizza building at SGR and South Park was torn down recently.

Are they just replacing it or building something new?
Is that the one that burned some time back? If so, it's good to have it gone. That location was cursed. I believe it was originally a house at one time but any character it may once have had was long ago lost.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 10:19 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Is that the one that burned some time back?
Yes.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Is that the one that burned some time back? If so, it's good to have it gone. That location was cursed. I believe it was originally a house at one time but any character it may once have had was long ago lost.
Yes soory I forgot to include that it burnt back in the Spring sometime.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 1:47 AM

Yeah it was cruised no business could make it there. There a story as to why it was cruised but can't remember how it goes.

Hopefully, it will be replace by something. Maybe Dairy queen will expand or something.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 2:28 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I heard the Dairy Queen might be finished too but then nothing came of that.

Hopefully we'll see the two lots consolidated into one nice development more suited to the area now.

It's kind of weird that no businesses were successful in the house. I had gone to the Italian restaurant a couple of years ago. The food was good and it was very busy but the service was extremely slow. Never went to Sahara.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Never went to Sahara.
...I had the unfortunate experience of eating at Sahara...and after returning home and going to sleep I woke up to a massive stomach pain...and I was sick everywhere!...never eating Arabic again!!...I would like to say however I'm glad that building is gone, it contributed to to ugliness/tackiness of that end of SGR and I'm hopeful the new building will be very modern and contemporary

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 9:09 PM

Unfortunately with this building now gone the block now has two holes in the ground which is not good for SGR's image.

One thing I forgot to mention about the St. Joseph's Church article is the new building will make use of the old sandstone siding from the church.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 8:29 PM

I found this article on Metro News and was wondering if anybody knew which development it is that is mentioned (I bolded the part on it);

Investment in affordable housing will boost the economy: NDP MP
PAUL MCLEOD, METRO HALIFAX
January 13, 2009 12:05

A vacant lot on Gottingen Street is an unusual place for a news conference, but for Megan Leslie, it helped illustrate a point.

The lot opposite the North Branch Library is supposed to hold an affordable condo development. But non-profit landowner Creighton-Gerrish hasn’t been able to follow through on its plans.

“This land has been owned for years, and we’re standing on it and there’s no housing because we actually need the money to build that housing,” said Leslie, the Halifax NDP MP.

At the conference yesterday, Leslie called on the Conservatives to include a “massive” investment in affordable housing in their Jan. 27 budget.

She brought together spokespeople from the development, construction and environmental communities to make her case for the far-reaching benefits of affordable housing.

“If we had a budget released on the 27th that aggressively invested money in building affordable housing, we would create jobs in the construction industry. That would be great for our economy,” said Leslie.

“But in addition to creating jobs, it would also help alleviate poverty.”

Leslie said building affordable homes serves the double benefit of boosting the economy and the GDP, while allowing us to reduce our carbon footprint with greener buildings.

Peter Greer of the carpenter’s union argued that investing in infrastructure would give a much-needed boost of activity to the trades sector.

“We don’t want the construction industry to fall into disrepair like it was in the early 1990s because, as you know, the skill shortages that we have now in many ways relate to the fact the construction industry collapsed,” said Greer.

“Nobody was trained. Nobody wanted to take an apprenticeship in the trades. As a result, we have critical shortages.”

Leslie said affordable housing would be a main priority of a Liberal-NDP coalition government, and two NDP members will be consulting with Finance Minister Jim Flaherty this week.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 10:27 PM

It is not much more than an idea. I believe I remember it as being similar to the one built a few years ago a bit north of the site on the corner of Gottingen & Gerrish (?) that is a low red brick building used for subsidized housing. Pretty unremarkable.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:26 AM

Who in the world would wear pink and red together...doesn't this woman know that no two color's clash more than pink and red?...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
Who in the world would wear pink and red together...doesn't this woman know that no two color's clash more than pink and red?...
She's a NDPer... those colors are appropriate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth