HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #501  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 2:21 PM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
I should ad I've also heard Victor is in talks with the owners of the rest of the block. It could potentially be a large development.

Hopefully if this happens there will be some ground floor retail. That was a real opportunity lost with 5505 Falkland.
Would only make sense, well expect for condos right now
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #502  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 8:03 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
This potential development, along with Trinity (if it ever happens) and The Brickyard (which is just wrapping up I think) could have a massive effect on the neighbourhood. I used to live on Brunswick, in the Marley church/condo conversion and I loved the area. The only thing missing where some cafes and restaurants in the immediate area. Trinity will hopefully provide commercial space, along with this new development and I think that will very much add to the area. And the added density is always welcome, along with the added benefit of trinity helping to reattach downtown to the north end
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #503  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 9:11 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,987
No ground floor retail spaces for 5505 Falkland? That is a bit odd since it really looks like it has them in the renderings and makes the most sense given the building's design.

It is too bad that the Marquee is closing but that block is also really under-developed.

It's impressive how quickly a bunch of plans have come forward for Gottingen. I guess it's easy because there's not a whole lot there to begin with and the land and buildings are cheap.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #504  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 9:23 PM
worldlyhaligonian worldlyhaligonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,049
Yeah, people aren't putting forward very inventive or large proposals and they are getting through to construction.

Its a goldmine, I really wish I had money to invest in real estate in the north end right now. Eventually this area around Falkland will be seen moreso as a part of downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #505  
Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 10:15 PM
phrenic phrenic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 412
I could be wrong about the ground floor retail issue in 5505 Falkland, but my understanding was that retail space was requested but refused by the developer. If there are retail spaces, nothing of it is mentioned on the website and there is no indication of what will go there.

I wish the Marquee wasn't closing, but I think that block does have a lot of untapped potential and has been underutilized for years and years. I even remember going to a rave held in the warehouse space behind the old automotive place beside the Marquee. How times change.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #506  
Old Posted Dec 13, 2008, 11:56 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
I was downtown today and I noticed on Lower Water St there was what seemed like a pair of new or at least renovated bright yellow buildings down by Sackville St. There was also a "Grand Opening" sign for something on them. Does anyone know what is in those buildings? I'm really curious to know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #507  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 1:57 AM
sdm sdm is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I was downtown today and I noticed on Lower Water St there was what seemed like a pair of new or at least renovated bright yellow buildings down by Sackville St. There was also a "Grand Opening" sign for something on them. Does anyone know what is in those buildings? I'm really curious to know.
Thats the dragon resturant, replaced mother tuckers
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #508  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 12:34 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
The former Mother Tuckers was repainted a bright yellow and the Dragon King buffet opened a second location. That is the spot that weighs any food left on your plate and makes you pay for it in addition to the charge for the buffet. Stay away, both because of that and for the general reason that most buffet food is (a) poor quality and (b) of questionable safety -- I always am hesitant to eat that sort of thing where dozens of people have been going over it previously.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #509  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 1:39 PM
phrenic phrenic is offline
Closed account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
That is the spot that weighs any food left on your plate and makes you pay for it in addition to the charge for the buffet.
I've eaten a few times at each location and that never happens.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #510  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 3:24 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
I've eaten a few times at each location and that never happens.
I have heard it from more than a few people. Must be a helluva urban myth then.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #511  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 3:48 PM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 9,980
Now that i think of it i did hear that the Dragon Buffet was opening a new spot I just didn't know where it was. I've never eaten there and well if I want Chinese food there are some better locations in town.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #512  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 6:16 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
I went to Mother Tuckers bankruptcy sale where they where selling of their old restaurant equipment and furnishings and one of the movers told me that they had found over 100 RAT TRAPS in the kitchen
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #513  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 8:26 PM
Takeo Takeo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Halifax
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I have heard it from more than a few people. Must be a helluva urban myth then.
My office is close to the downtown location. I've eaten there a few times. It's a flat rate. Neither myself or anyone else has ever been charged extra. And I have left stuff on my plate.

Also, I've never been to the Bayers Lake location, but the food downtown is actually pretty darn good... for what it is. And the restaurant itself is impeccably clean. It's certainly a million times cleaner, brighter and more inviting than the horrifying train wreak of a slop house it replaced.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #514  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 8:31 PM
Takeo Takeo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Halifax
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
I went to Mother Tuckers bankruptcy sale where they where selling of their old restaurant equipment and furnishings and one of the movers told me that they had found over 100 RAT TRAPS in the kitchen
I believe it. That place was so incredibly disgusting. I mean, I had to go there once and I thought I was going to be sick. Filthy. Gross. Dirty. Etc. And the food?! OMG. I mean... they had a desert bar that included jello (leathery along the edges... Mmmm) and a scoup?! 🞵🞵🞵. I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #515  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 8:33 PM
Takeo Takeo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Halifax
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Now that i think of it i did hear that the Dragon Buffet was opening a new spot I just didn't know where it was. I've never eaten there and well if I want Chinese food there are some better locations in town.
Oh... of course. No doubt. There are some very good chinese places in Halifax. But that's not what people go to the Dragon King for. They go for the buffet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #516  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 8:46 PM
spaustin's Avatar
spaustin spaustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Downtown Dartmouth
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I have heard it from more than a few people. Must be a helluva urban myth then.
Yeah I have also eaten there once or twice and nobody has ever come around to weigh anything I have left
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #517  
Old Posted Dec 14, 2008, 8:57 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,987
Mother Tucker's was around for a while and I think dated to a time when there were few other options in town. Old people seemed to like it.. it was the kind of place you'd go with your grandmother in 1993 (like The Bay and pretty much all of West End Mall and that "Ranch 'n Reef" place on the Bedford Hwy - I dunno if it's still there).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #518  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 1:13 AM
hfx_chris hfx_chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 1,450
They opened just before I left my job downtown, so I never got to eat there. Ate at the Great Wall on Bedford Row many, many times however. Mmm...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #519  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 7:09 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
man if you want bang for your buck try New Asia on Hollis. The Beef fried noodles for example..$8....is an absolute mountain of food!! enough to feed a family of four...literary!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #520  
Old Posted Dec 15, 2008, 7:12 PM
Barrington south's Avatar
Barrington south Barrington south is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Mother Tucker's was around for a while and I think dated to a time when there were few other options in town. Old people seemed to like it.. it was the kind of place you'd go with your grandmother in 1993 (like The Bay and pretty much all of West End Mall and that "Ranch 'n Reef" place on the Bedford Hwy - I dunno if it's still there).
add Smitty's at SGR and Tower to that list
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:26 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.