HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntclub View Post
They should be turning the land of the experimental farm into a big urban park. A big empty field in the middle of a city is useless.
But it's not big and empty. If you want it to be useful, it's got a use now. Parkification would make it less useful.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
But it's not big and empty. If you want it to be useful, it's got a use now. Parkification would make it less useful.
It is a big empty field in the core of a city. We don’t need a farm in a piece of land next to a major future hospital. Should be housing and a big urban park. I see more people walking there dogs through the field then I ever see any one farming.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:53 PM

I think we need to start a poll about where we should add a national urban park(s) - or just massively improve existing ones.

Off the top of my head - these seem like the most centrally located and massively underutilized "green spaces".
  • Most of the Ottawa river waterfront - both sides of the river - both east and west of downtown.
  • Rideau river east shore, south of Hurdman all the way to Bronson/Vincent Massey park (I'd like them to excavate the old landfills at Hurdman)
  • Central Experimental Farm fields. (Assuming they move research elsewhere, probably out to the greenbelt. I wouldn't touch the Arboretum or Agriculture museum, but the patch of land along the Canal south west of the locks at Carleton is pretty useless right now.)

If we include the greenbelt as well...
  • Any part of the greenbelt reasonably close to a major transit line - current or future
  • Everything north of Bells Corners
  • Green's creek/Pineview Golf Course
  • Everything between the 416 and the Rideau river north of Barrhaven

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 5:57 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntclub View Post
It is a big empty field in the core of a city. We don’t need a farm in a piece of land next to a major future hospital. Should be housing and a big urban park. I see more people walking there dogs through the field then I ever see any one farming.
We have a thread for this debate over here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=226143

and the subject also came up more recently here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=248464

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 7:48 PM

What definition of park are we using here?

Are we talking an active usable park with features that bring people to the park to use (beach, sports fields, playgrounds, and etc), or are talking about greenspace (grass/trees, etc) with paths and benches that people walk through to a destination.

Cause if it's the former uhunia is correct parkification would make the CEF less useful.

Ottawa already has enough of the latter and doesn't need more, and declaring these areas like the river edges, Greenbelt and etc to be a Urban park in keeping with the latter definition isn't going to get us anything new or better then what we already have, but will severely restrict the land use for the former.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 2:47 AM

To me, these "Urban National Parks" are naturalized areas near big cities, like Rouge Park near Toronto. Recreational trails, maybe beaches, but not playgrounds, skate parks, sports fields. Gatineau Park, Mer Bleue come to mind in Ottawa, Stanley Park in Vancouver, not Confederation or Vincent Massey. This title would restrict development and improvements, so you don't want to slap this anywhere near the waterways that desperately need a rethink.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 5:26 AM

Yeah - to me a national urban park has something in it that's worth visiting - something genuinely unique on a national level.

We have plenty of plain parks with green space - I want to see something like Golden Gate park in San Fransisco. Definitely a park - but filled with a variety of uses, museums, attractions, sports fields etc. Something to attract people at all times of the day and year.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 3:13 PM

NCC Board Meetings are scheduled for this week, but I haven't received any email updates. Anyone know if they were postponed?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 3:23 PM

I don't understand the semantics of the discussion. Are we trying to unload the green belt to Parks Canada? What are we doing with this? Is it a ploy to download cost to a different department?

My two cents about the CEF is to carve out all the 'shaded' areas of the CEF during the new Carling build-out, and also include all the lands surrounding the hospital. Basically everything north of NCC Scenic Driveway, and East of Prince of Wales.

What ever happened to the Canadensis plan for a Royal Botanic Garden at the Fletcher Garden? During COVID I became acquainted with the Ornamental Gardens at the CEF. The staff there do an excellent job through all season of the year, and the volunteers at the Fletcher garden do almost as good of a job in their little oasis behind the clubhouse.

If its a Rouge-valley style of park we're trying for, the Rideau River East Bank and Ottawa River banks are a great start. However just be aware that the banks of the Rideau River downtown are a cess pool of chemical and physical waste with large plumes of effluent that are carefully managed by pumping groundwater. What do we do with all that if it becomes managed by Parks Canada instead of the City partnering with the NCC?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This title would restrict development and improvements, so you don't want to slap this anywhere near the waterways that desperately need a rethink.
There are people who wish to weaponize such a designation and slap it on the waterfronts exactly for that reason.

(See also the World Heritage designation)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
There are people who wish to weaponize such a designation and slap it on the waterfronts exactly for that reason.

(See also the World Heritage designation)
Considering the NCC has put in a lot of focus in improvement the waterfront, I doubt that's what they have in mind. I trust them over anyone else to make the right decision on what could become a National Urban Park.

That said, if this is an NCC initiative, they'll choose an NCC site. The Experimental Farm is not within their purview, and it's not even a park anyway.

As stated, although not in Ottawa, Gatineau Park absolutely should have a National Park (or National Urban park) designation. It's always under threat from private owners within the park, and the City/Province trying to build roads through it.

Mer Bleue as well is another obvious choice, with the City of Ottawa having all sorts of pointless road infrastructure plans through it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 4:14 PM

Quote:
NCC Board Meetings are scheduled for this week, but I haven't received any email updates. Anyone know if they were postponed?
I think they meet privately every month or so, and tomorrow is one of those.

Next PUBLIC meeting is in January, based on their website. For some reason they are skipping the Fall meeting.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2023, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzptichka View Post
I think they meet privately every month or so, and tomorrow is one of those.

Next PUBLIC meeting is in January, based on their website. For some reason they are skipping the Fall meeting.
Schedule on their website skips over the Fall meeting, but not on the PDF. Very disappointing. Obviously, LeBreton arena is on hold while we're waiting for Andlauer to take over, but the Flats District is well over a year overdue.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 3:46 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Would you give to a charitable foundation run by the NCC?
In 2021, records show, the commission set out serious plans to develop a charitable arm to help fund its activities. The public has heard little about it.

Ken Rubin, Ottawa Citizen
Published Sep 19, 2023 • Last updated 4 hours ago • 3 minute read

The NCC has secretly been exploring setting up its own charitable foundation.

A 2021 NCC note, which I obtained using access to information law, says: “To increase its financial sustainability to maintain NCC assets and programming, the NCC has been searching for alternative sources of funding. As such, and with the strong support of its Board of Directors, the NCC is considering the creation of a philanthropic public foundation to provide an additional and reliable revenue stream.”

The NCC note goes on to bemoan the fact that in 2018-19, less than two per cent of funding for the commission’s operation came from sponsorships and donors, amounting to only about $215,000. That was lower than what the NCC got from user fees (three per cent) or from its rentals and easements (22 per cent).

Plans were drawn up in late 2021 for setting up this new foundation. Its start-up, according to the NCC records documents obtained under access law, would cost $200,0000 to $500,000, and use NCC staff. The launch, it was hoped, would be in 2023 — this year. Then it would take three years to break even.

We haven’t heard much about this secret proposal. But the NCC records note that setting up its own foundation would not be without risks, since it would be competing for funds with other foundations such as those of the National Arts Centre and The Ottawa Hospital.

At best, drawing in large sums of money, and doing better than breaking even, they acknowledged, would never be a sure thing. Teaming up with a partner (unnamed in the records) was mentioned as an option but apparently not pursued.

NCC officials, nonetheless, seemed confident that donors would want to contribute through its foundation to the organization’s conservation, cultural and heritage mandates. That would include donations directed to Gatineau Park, the NCC Greenbelt and Canadiana furniture/furnishing collections for official residences.

The documents noted that the foundation would have to try to be transparent with how donations were used. It would have to be accountable — avoiding, for instance, the temptation of using donations designated for Gatineau Park for other purposes such as Greenbelt projects.

But transparency, accountability, and public consultations are not a usual feature of the NCC’s modus operation.

That’s the fundamental flaw, in my view, of the proposal for an NCC Foundation. Donors would essentially be giving money for NCC-determined programming and property maintenance, or even to facilitate property sell-offs such as at LeBreton Flats. The uses made of their donations would be hard to trace.

Donors could well then be less than inspired to give funds to an unelected NCC level of government whose programs taxpayers often, at times, see as being wasteful, excessive and extravagant.

Adding to this, the records I obtained acknowledge another very serious risk to contend with: “that conflict of interest may arise if current/future contractors donate to the NCC Foundation.”

As well, a new NCC Foundation increasing its revenues would mean funds the NCC could use that would not go back into general government consolidated funds, unlike in other departments.

Even the NCC recognized that for the foundation to function properly, much “significant work (needs) to be done and that included attracting volunteers, having proper leadership and a development plan.”

The NCC not being a particularly open or transparent entity, I can’t tell you where the proposal for a new foundation stands. NCC spokesperson Benoît Desjardins e-mailed me this vague statement: “At this time, there is no decision or timeline related to this matter (of setting up a foundation).”

All in all, the proposed new foundation is questionable.

Let’s hope there will be a great deal of public discussion about the feasibility and drawbacks of the NCC setting up such a foundation — if indeed it does anything to take the plan forward. Meanwhile, make your donations to accountable places

Ken Rubin has followed the NCC over the years and is reachable at kenrubin.ca

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/ru...run-by-the-ncc

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 3:49 PM

If I had an excess amount of money (say hundreds of thousands of disposable income per year), I'd be happy to donate for specific projects.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 4:11 PM

I would have gladly thrown some cash or coins at River House.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 6:19 PM

Guy's really got an axe to grind with the NCC.

Historically, I would agree but lately it seems like all the new good things in the city are thanks to the NCC.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 7:10 PM

Quote:
If I had an excess amount of money (say hundreds of thousands of disposable income per year), I'd be happy to donate for specific projects.
They could launch it with fund-raising for a new PM's residence.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
They could launch it with fund-raising for a new PM's residence.
I would not donate a cent to that one.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 4:04 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Open NCC Day is back!: Here's a few tips

Staff Reporter, Ottawa Citizen
Published Sep 23, 2023 • Last updated 1 hour ago • 3 minute read

The popular ‘Open NCC’ program is on for a second year, offering a behind-the-scenes peek into activities and projects happening in the National Capital Region.

The program’s available Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Visit the website for more information

Here are some suggestions:

Open NCC Hub

A good starting point would be the Open NCC hub at Major’s Hill Park.

NCC experts will be on hand to discuss projects, consultations and opportunities taking place at the NCC.

“This is your chance to get a sneak peek at many of our biggest plans for the Capital, including the Kìwekì Point redevelopment, the future of Confederation Boulevard, and the renewal of the core area,” the NCC says.

There are a number of tours offered, requiring registration https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/majors-hill-park-open-ncc

Check out the redevelopment of LeBreton Flats.

See the progress made so far (including the crow sculpture, entitled When the Rubber Meets the Road by Gérald Beaulieu) and meet NCC experts to learn about the rich history of this site and plans for the future.

The one-kilometre walking tour (wheelchair-accessible) takes about one hour. This activity is suitable for all ages.

The French-language tour starts at 10 a.m., while the English-language tours are at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

There’s a maximum of 20 participants for each tour so register here to get on the list. LeBreton walking tour registration

Mer Bleue Bog

Always a favourite, the Mer Bleue Bog is an internationally significant wetland, with unique flora and fauna.

Conservation officers and biologists will be on hand for a meet-and-greet and a special presentation on the bog, “a true gem of the National Capital Region.”

Walking tours, about 45 minutes long, start at 10 a.m. and end at 3 p.m. The trail is a mostly flat wooden boardwalk, with a hill at the end of the trail, which may not be suitable for all mobility devices.

Drop in at the kiosk between 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Tour the renovated River House

You’ll get to know how the project came to be and learn more about the future Sir George-Étienne Cartier Park.

Our tenants, Ottawa Riverkeeper and the Ottawa New Edinburgh Club (ONEC), will also be on site to share information about turtle nesting, talk about the history and future of the River House, and explain what the organizations do to protect the Ottawa River and animate its shorelines.

The Ottawa Riverkeeper group will open their Learning Lab space to the public with educational displays, materials, and hands-on activities.

Drop in at any time between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.

At the NCC River House, 501 Sir George-Étienne Cartier Parkway.

Check out an archeology site

Join archeologists at a dig near Leamy Lake looking for artifacts to learn more about the history of the region before the arrival of Europeans.

This is a partnership with the Anishinàbe Odjìbikan, the archaeological field school of the Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg and the Algonquins of Pikwakanagan First Nation.

In the main parking lot, there will be an artifacts presentation and Anishinabe Algonquin demonstrations featuring singing and drumming, interactive pictograph painting on canvas, storytelling, and crafting of birchbark baskets.

The archeological digs are not wheelchair-accessible, as the site is at a 10- to 15-minute walk on a narrow and uneven path.

While the digs are geared toward adults and children aged 10 and up, there is also a simulated archaeological dig for families with children under 10 years old.

Hours
Drop in at any time between 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.)

Meeting point
At the main parking lot, located at 80 Fournier Boulevard, Gatineau.

Bring your own water bottle and bug repellent, and wear a hat, long pants, gloves and closed-toe shoes with good treads.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...y-open-ncc-day

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues