HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 10:51 PM

I guees people in Halifax were in bad need of cheap furnitures.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 3:18 PM

Sears has announced the closure of another ten department stores and another Sears Home store.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 3:49 PM
The good old days are now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Sears has announced the closure of another ten department stores and another Sears Home store.
Here's the list

Sears Full-Line
Nanaimo North Town Centre, BC
Kelowna, BC
Brentwood Town Centre, Burnaby, BC
Polo Park, Winnipeg, MB
Lime Ridge Mall, Hamilton, ON
Oakville Place, Oakville ON
Fairview Mall, North York, ON
Scarborough Town Centre, ON
Fairview Pointe-Claire, QC
Avalon Mall, St. John's, NL

Sears Home

Kelowna, BC

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...648748973.html

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 3:53 PM

The first Cheesecake Factory in Canada is slated to open at Yorkdale Shopping Center in Toronto on November 21. It appears as though additional Canadian stores are also planned.

https://www.redflagdeals.com/latest-...n-in-november/

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 4:03 PM
I am the law!

What's left for Sears?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
What's left for Sears?
Probably not much of anything. If I recall, Avalon Mall Sears was one of the best-performing locations in Canada, so if it's closing its doors then Sears must be on their last leg.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Here's the list

Sears Full-Line
Kelowna, BC
Polo Park, Winnipeg, MB
Lime Ridge Mall, Hamilton, ON
Oakville Place, Oakville ON
Fairview Mall, North York, ON
Scarborough Town Centre, ON
Fairview Pointe-Claire, QC
Avalon Mall, St. John's, NL

Sears Home

Kelowna, BC

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...648748973.html
The Fairview Mall closure is particularly troubling, as Sears has almost completed a large-scale renovation of that store that had been going on since last winter. They even had a coffee stand on the lower level that was "coming soon" and looked like it was almost ready to open. Ironically just yesterday I walked by it and thought to myself that this is the kind of desperation Eaton's had in its final days. (Eaton's had introduced juice bars into some of its stores shortly before it announced it was closing its remaining stores in 1999.) All that work for naught.

That Sears is infamous for having a ton of foot traffic that passed through without ever buying anything, as you have to go through that store to get from the mall to the TTC Don Mills subway station. Since the renovations started, the store had been an absolute mess and was not somewhere I'd particularly want to buy anything from, though it had been improving in the past couple months.

As for the mall itself, I suspect Cadillac Fairview has a contingency plan, and I suspect they're going to be looking at redeveloping the west side of the mall, as the mall is currently poorly connected to Don Mills Station and is not a very pedestrian friendly mall to access from either Sheppard Avenue to the south or Fairview Mall Drive to the north. That part of North York sorely lacks a real grocery store; I'm told there was a Loblaws there prior to about 2000, but there's been a ton of new condo development around there since the Sheppard Subway was completed in 2002, and there's more condo towers in the planning stages nearby. As it stands locals must either go to a tiny Foodland (what is this, Bancroft?) in the Parkway Forest subdivision to the south or travel to one of Bayview Village Mall, Shops at Don Mills, or Parkway Mall in Scarborough to get groceries. All of which are a pain to get to either driving or by transit.

As for Scarborough Town Centre, I'm not sure who could possibly go in the space, especially with so much other retail on the periphery of the property (Best Buy, Real Canadian Superstore, etc.). My first instinct was that Nordstrom could go there, but I can't see them wanting to be in a mall that has a Walmart. Not sure if Nordstrom would be interested in Fairview, considering they're already at Yorkdale, although Fairview is in much easier reach of Markham than Yorkdale is.

Last edited by manny_santos; Oct 1, 2017 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
Here's the list

Sears Full-Line
Kelowna, BC

[B]
Word on the street was that Sears Brentwood was getting a free lease from the mall's owner for the past 3 years because the mall was undergoing redevelopment. Surprising to hear that they'll be closing that too.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 2:35 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I can hear the agonal breathing from the soon to be fetid corpse of Sears as I type away here.

There are now only three Sears stores left in Atlantic Canada (Halifax, Moncton & Fredericton). I can see them all closing by next year, especially if Simons takes over the Sears space at the Halifax Shopping Centre (as is rumoured).

I'm hoping that Cadillac fairview also has a contingency plan for the Sears space at Champlain Place in Moncton. Ideally, HBC would move in there. The Bay had a store at Highfield Square in Moncton, before it was torn down for the new events centre. They said that they would like to return to the city

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I can hear the agonal breathing from the soon to be fetid corpse of Sears as I type away here.

There are now only three Sears stores left in Atlantic Canada (Halifax, Moncton & Fredericton). I can see them all closing by next year, especially if Simons takes over the Sears space at the Halifax Shopping Centre (as is rumoured).

I'm hoping that Cadillac fairview also has a contingency plan for the Sears space at Champlain Place in Moncton. Ideally, HBC would move in there. The Bay had a store at Highfield Square in Moncton, before it was torn down for the new events centre. They said that they would like to return to the city
to change one of their old radio and TV jingles:

Expect LESS from Sears

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 4:00 AM

Quote:

When was the last time the Bay actually opened a new store, though? Obviously not counting their recent foray into the Netherlands.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
The Fairview Mall closure is particularly troubling, as Sears has almost completed a large-scale renovation of that store that had been going on since last winter. They even had a coffee stand on the lower level that was "coming soon" and looked like it was almost ready to open. Ironically just yesterday I walked by it and thought to myself that this is the kind of desperation Eaton's had in its final days. (Eaton's had introduced juice bars into some of its stores shortly before it announced it was closing its remaining stores in 1999.) All that work for naught.

That Sears is infamous for having a ton of foot traffic that passed through without ever buying anything, as you have to go through that store to get from the mall to the TTC Don Mills subway station. Since the renovations started, the store had been an absolute mess and was not somewhere I'd particularly want to buy anything from, though it had been improving in the past couple months.

As for the mall itself, I suspect Cadillac Fairview has a contingency plan, and I suspect they're going to be looking at redeveloping the west side of the mall, as the mall is currently poorly connected to Don Mills Station and is not a very pedestrian friendly mall to access from either Sheppard Avenue to the south or Fairview Mall Drive to the north. That part of North York sorely lacks a real grocery store; I'm told there was a Loblaws there prior to about 2000, but there's been a ton of new condo development around there since the Sheppard Subway was completed in 2002, and there's more condo towers in the planning stages nearby. As it stands locals must either go to a tiny Foodland (what is this, Bancroft?) in the Parkway Forest subdivision to the south or travel to one of Bayview Village Mall, Shops at Don Mills, or Parkway Mall in Scarborough to get groceries. All of which are a pain to get to either driving or by transit.

As for Scarborough Town Centre, I'm not sure who could possibly go in the space, especially with so much other retail on the periphery of the property (Best Buy, Real Canadian Superstore, etc.). My first instinct was that Nordstrom could go there, but I can't see them wanting to be in a mall that has a Walmart. Not sure if Nordstrom would be interested in Fairview, considering they're already at Yorkdale, although Fairview is in much easier reach of Markham than Yorkdale is.
I believe there might be enough surface parking for Costco to takeover the space, but itd be a squeeze. Lots of families who visit STC looking to save and buy in bulk. Worst case scenairo they could expand the parkade.

Simons might be a bit high end for STC but I might be wrong.

Last edited by yaletown_fella; Oct 2, 2017 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
When was the last time the Bay actually opened a new store, though? Obviously not counting their recent foray into the Netherlands.
they opened in metrotown as the anchor for the new wing sometime in the early 90's, other than that I can't recall, but they did take over or move stores to former woodwards spaces when they shut down.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:

4 stores - Charlottetown, Halifax, 2 in NB

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 3:21 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post

Walmart is one of the last vestige of old Scarborough Town since Oxford began re-positioning it as a higher end mall and reaping the rewards. I don't know about Nordstrom however, both these malls belong to the group of 5 regional malls in the 416 which are all top performers. The vacated space will be quickly snatch up even if it needs to be broken up.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 5:33 AM

uniqlo is unboarded, it opens on friday (oct 6)

upper level
2017-10-02_10-00-48 by snub_you, on Flickr

both
2017-10-02_10-00-32 by snub_you, on Flickr

uncle tetsu's
2017-10-02_09-59-38 by snub_you, on Flickr

2017-10-02_09-59-14 by snub_you, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 3:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Probably not much of anything. If I recall, Avalon Mall Sears was one of the best-performing locations in Canada, so if it's closing its doors then Sears must be on their last leg.
The tweets were funny. I think it was you who shared it? Missus writing there's nowhere left for old people to get clothes in St. John's. Nan's going to be getting her gear at Dynamite.

The length of time between something being in style and being available at Sears was too shamefully long for any department store. And there was a bit of that Air Canada snobbery and fluff that just turns people off, especially when the product isn't worth it.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 3:08 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Sears at Limeridge Mall was Sears pilot project, they've spent millions to re-organize the store and update the interior. Apparently, Sears owes $1.4 million to private contractors from just that one store.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...sing-1.4317161

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 10:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

New retailers eye St. John’s Sears location in Avalon Mall

Quote:
Crombie Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT) says the 128,000-square-foot area will be factored into the overall mall redevelopment — a project already underway and valued at over $54 million — but it’s too early to say exactly how it will be used or who will occupy the space.

“We have a number of retailers that have expressed interest in locating to Avalon Mall because it is one of the top 30 shopping centres in Canada and the number one shopping centre in Newfoundland and Labrador,” Crombie president and CEO Don Clow stated in a news release.

“We look forward to sharing our redevelopment plans as they are completed.”

The St. John’s Sears store, which has been located in the Avalon Mall for more than 20 years, was one of 11 locations across Canada on the chopping block as announced late last week by the company. The 11 stores employ a total of 1,200 people.
http://www.thetelegram.com/business/...alon-mall.html

I hope the development makes the exterior all look like it was built in the same century. It's such an unattractive goulash of different styles right now, as it was built piecemeal.

(Missus striking a pose going up the escalator tho... lol. Fog City, which I loved ONLY because it was local version of a crappy Boston Pizza-level restaurant, used to be just where she is at the top right but it's moving to a standalone box in the parking lot lol - stupid move. They were right next to the cinemas, which was probably their main source of business.)

Bottom right pic is parking garage on the left and mall on the right lol. Garage looks better.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2017, 2:44 AM

Dunkin Donuts closed its location in Place Ville-Marie. That leaves only 3 left in Canada, down from about 30 in 2011, and over 200 back in 2001. They used to dominate the Quebec market prior to Tim Hortons arrival.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada