HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 6:09 PM

Glass comes when the consumer demands it. I suspect Ottawa is right on the cusp of some serious glassification.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2022, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
True, but Montreal which has more or less the same climate as us, doesn't seem so bothered.
Yeah, that's a good point. But then you have Griffintown, which is on par with Ottawa, mostly souless beige and charcoal/black with faint hints of red brick and glass here and there.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4896...4!8i8192?hl=en

I always kind of wondered why Ottawa office buildings are almost always glass, while residential buildings are almost always masonry or medal panels. Anyone have insight on that?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 8:01 PM
Busy Beaver

I was fantasizing about what could be done with the triangle between Richmond, Holly Acres and the Queensway. It has such potential, it's wasted MTO land and I don't think it's Greenbelt. It's at the junction of two highways and a stone's throw from an LRT station, and halfway between Downtown and the Kanata high-tech sector. It's a location that can actually handle very high density and tall buildings.

I know there's already a plan in the works for 70 Woodrdge Crescent, but imagine an epic gateway into intra-Greenbelt Ottawa with a related pair of tall buildings on either side of the highway connected by a footbridge to each other, the LRT station and the Bayshore mall.

Something sculptural like this would be awesome
design by Omar Hakim

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 1:23 PM

Cool idea, and one can certainly dream. People will continue to scratch their head when visiting Ottawa wondering why all of our tallest buildings & towers/density are outside of the core.

There is also a lot of underused land throughout the city. Lots of nooks & crannies, empty parcels around highway exchanges and such. I'm not advocating for a St-Laurent tower in every highway off-ramp but there are a lot of opportunities to densify if we wanted to. When these roads & ramps need rebuilding, we should take those opportunities to reimagine what they could look like; not a surburban Texas subdivision.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 5:19 PM

How about a glass-bottomed infinity pool spanning the 417 between the buildings? I know that it is a very long span (>130 metres), but the weight can be supported by cable stays back to the buildings – like a suspended bridge. There could be a higher pedestrian crossing to hold the tops of the buildings apart, if there was any risk of them tipping together.

OK, getting serious for a minute; the 417 still needs to be widened through that area. That will require new ramps from/to the 416 as they, I believe, only have room for three lanes under their bridges. This might mean that the interchange can be reconfigured – but I doubt that the MTO has the stomach for that. I suspect that there will simply be bridge replacements, with wider, longer spans. This will be disruptive.

Also, according to the last MTO plan that I saw, the Richmond Road (SB) to 417 (EB) circular ramp is to be removed, since that lane is needed for the widening under Richmond Road. Instead, traffic from Richmond Road will be routed north on Holly Acres to a new 417 (EB) on-ramp. That new ramp will be a continuation of the existing Holly Acres off-ramp.

Also, I expect that the Richmond Road (SB) to 417 (WB) ramp will also disappear. As it is currently constructed, it limits the roadway to only three lanes. If the Jersey Barrier were removed, there would already be the needed four lanes. (Remember, that Jersey Barrier was only recently added to prevent people entering the 417 from skipping across to the ramp to the 416.) Again, Richmond Road traffic destined for the 417 would be routed to Holly Acres.

I suspect that the Richmond Road (NB) to 417 (EB) ramp will also be closed, to remove the weaving that happens in that auxiliary lane.

This is a big change, and the MTO is planning on making a lot of roadway improvements (read: WIDENING) to the south end of Holly Acres. The intersection with Richmond Road will need to be enlarged, with more storage space. There will, likely, be a third lane added heading north on Holly Acres; while south-bound will, likely, remain as two lanes between the off-ramp and Richmond Road.

It is unlikely that the MTO would allow a driveway to be added to Holly Acres in that area.

Oh, and did I mention that Graham’s Creek flows through that triangle of land?

I like the idea of twin towers that incorporate a 417 pedestrian crossing, but I suspect that there are a lot of other open parcels of land that could be developed for a lower price.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 3:43 PM

This is what I hope to see at LeBreton Flats. Well any new master planned development, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
The area right to the East and West of the Jacques Cartier bridge are being redeveloped.

Esplanade Cartier

https://www.prevel.ca/en/project/esplanade-cartier

Old Posted Sep 16, 2022, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This is what I hope to see at LeBreton Flats. Well any new master planned development, really.
The bridge or the giant building length rooftop swimming pool?

100% agree though. The problem therein however lies with the consistent inability of the NCC to get a 'project of National significance' to materialize. They really should put the land up for sale and use that money to put in more trees, renovating the PMs house or something, maybe make the Canal better somehow. But they need to get out of the development business.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 12:58 AM

Look at all the light and white materials, and all of tall buildings that aren't lot-line to lot-line slabs in this Vancouver shot. You can have density without building charcoal stump slabs *swoon*

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 9:49 PM

Montreal has found the antidote to CharcWart Syndrome. This is just gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
Another proposal from Montreal, this one is new. It launched recently and it's in site prep.

Le Balt - 15 storeys. On René-Lévesque Est, near the CHUM.
DKA Architecte

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Montreal has found the antidote to CharcWart Syndrome. This is just gorgeous.
For a moment, I thought that was an Ottawa proposal looking at that Commie Block next door.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:27 AM

So...Good news/bad news ford is making the following change: "Site plan control will no longer include the look of a building or landscape aspects". So may end up with more interesting buildings if bureaucracy was the issue behind the Ottawa blandness.

https://twitter.com/PlannerSean/stat...7Sz-L3od5bZ7bw

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 9:47 PM

I'm surprised Habitat 67 never caught on. Such a great way to bridge the gap between dense, 15-minute urban neighbourhoods with the benefit of private space the suburbs provide.

Video talks about the history of Habitat 67 and the original concept, which was far more ambitious.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'm surprised Habitat 67 never caught on. Such a great way to bridge the gap between dense, 15-minute urban neighbourhoods with the benefit of private space the suburbs provide.

Video talks about the history of Habitat 67 and the original concept, which was far more ambitious.

Video Link
I just found about this last year when I did the Montreal half marathon - one of the most interesting buildings in Montreal that due to its location probably most tourists don't see. Like seriously check out this building if you get the chance.

I just checked, and they offer tours!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 1:38 PM

I completely agree regarding Habitat '67, it’s an amazing project that combines elegance, density, and the ability to combine multi-level green roofs with private gardens. Love that there are tours now!

It would be exciting to one day have a few projects like Habitat grace Ottawa’s skyline; it’s not even an import but a home-grown idea by Canada’s own Moshe Safdie.

We don’t have to look far for other ideas for sustainably dense housing with gardens in the sky: the Sanctuaire du Mont-Royal, the Olympic Village or La Pyramide are all in Montréal!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 2:23 PM

I am old enough to remember its opening in 1967 and how you passed it to reach the entrance of Expo 67. It was impressive even its scaled down version. There was a lot of buzz at the time which I understood even though I was just a kid. I could see how it would inspire urban planners, architects and potential residents. It is too bad that this kind of innovation has been lacking ever since. It is also too bad that this kind of vision is lacking in Ottawa when large spaces are available for redevelopment in the urban city. All we get is the 'same old'.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 4:00 PM

Wow I didn't even know this existed. Beautiful, I would love to see that here.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 3:20 AM

I actually took the tour of Habitat 67 yesterday, and it was fantastic! A bit pricey at $50, but worth it. It lasted almost 2 hours. Getting to visit Safdie's refurbished 4-module apartment at the top of the middle pyramid is certainly a highlight.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 5:32 PM

Meanwhile in the rest of Canada... Height, design, quality materials, usable balconies & glass are heavily used (notice how I didn't even bother comparing to any Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver proposals).

50 story Station Park Tower - Kitchener

44 story Falcon Towers 2 - Edmonton

46 story 633 3rd Avenue SW Calgary

39 story Two Park Central Calgary

59,54,48 stories 310 Frances Ave Hamilton

40 stories Centro London

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 8:44 PM

None of the arguments why Ottawa's architecture is sub-par holds up. Same or similar climate, labour and construction costs. same interest rates. Pretty sure the Ottawa Market can also get higher rents and condo sale prices than any of those other example cities. Really just the GTA and Metro Vancouver that have higher prices.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 9:48 PM

How to build low cost housing quickly.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion