HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:16 PM
What could go wrong?

The wood in the above picture of Tower 1 is where the tower crane attachments were.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 6:17 PM

Here's an image from the other side just now. There are 2 panels left that I think were just damaged during install. There were 3 others on this side that have been changed out.

But they're making good progress on the finishing materials. Also you'll notice the sidewalk are is cleared out of most equipment. They had staircases and such built in there. Also the construction elevator which was removed a few weeks ago.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 8:26 PM
What could go wrong?

Next page.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Strong View Post
To be fair:

- Windypeg's simple recognition that what we face is the occasional mentally disturbed individual, is the exact opposite of FOX News would claim. FOX News would be screaming "ISIS! ISIS AND HILLARY!!! IN YOUR HOME TOWN!!!"

- Windypeg isn't calling for people to "cancel every outdoor event, and stay inside 24/7." Just a reasonable recognition that there ARE in fact dangers to be mitigated.

- Windypeg indicated that he was at the party last night, enjoying himself.

- Your words... "how idiotic you sound," "Maybe you should stay indoors, or get professional therapy," "It's not healthy to think like that"... You should consider them yourself. If you can't handle someone expressing a reasonable concern, maybe you should stay offline or get professional therapy. It's not healthy to think like that.
I could walk outside today, and get groceries at the local Superstore and a bomb can blow up and kill me, or a couple of deranged individuals could kill me just for walking down the street. The probability of that happening are much less than being struck by lightning.

Cancelling or curtailing an event that draws thousands of people to downtown, due to fears of "terrorism", is not a reasonable concern. It's a ridiculous concern. However, if one thinks it is reasonable, maybe they should stay indoors too. After all, "ISIS" may be lurking around the corner...lol.

Last edited by Jets4Life; May 16, 2018 at 2:02 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I could walk outside today, and get groceries at the local Superstore and a bomb can blow up and kill me, or a couple of deranged individuals could kill me just for walking down the street. The probability of that happening are much less than being struck by lightning.

Cancelling or curtailing an event that draws thousands of people to downtown, due to fears of "terrorism", is not a reasonable concern. It's a ridiculous concern. However, if you think it is reasonable, maybe you should stay indoors too. After all, "ISIS" may be lurking around the corner...lol.
Except you are not being reasonable with your comments as the above poster stated

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Except you are not being reasonable with your comments as the above poster stated
And neither is any post claiming we should curtail (or even cancel) the street party due to "terrorism." Rioting or drunken/antisocial behaviour would be reasonable. I stand by what I said. If one is that afraid of going out to any kind of public gathering with crowds, due to concerns about terrorism in Winnipeg, then they may want to seek therapy for that, or at least change their thinking patterns.

Having said that, my main point is that the City of Winnipeg, and numerous downtown groups have been trying for decades to lure people downtown, and then finally there is an event happening that thousands on people in the city want to come to in the middle of downtown, and EDWinnipeg ruins it, by implementing the ticket system. Sadly, EDWinnipeg and the WPS are blaming each other for implementing the ticket system, as it has been a big fail. I still remember Glen Murray trying to lure people downtown with his street parties in summer 15+ years ago, and other events that cost millions to implement, with little success.

As one sportswriter put it:

"There are inherent limits to getting people to log onto Ticketmaster and get tickets. People without credit cards, those without computers, etc. Why not just hand out tickets at the gate to each person that comes through? Make it easy and convenient for fans."

full tweet here: https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/sta...09588437147648

Last edited by Jets4Life; May 15, 2018 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:34 PM

Probably more to do with having to many people in one location is generally not a good idea. After a certain point (25- 30,000 at the street party and 15,000 inside the arena) there is probably increased concerns with safety ie. higher probability of fights, vandalism, theft from stores.

After a certain point, there isn't any additional benefit to downtown businesses. Bars and restaurants are already packed with only 10,000 additional people in the downtown area during the game (on top of the 15,000 in the arena who may go to an establishment immediately afterwards).

I am in favor of doing away with the tickets though. Once it is packed in the designated areas, people who are turned away will simply have to find an alternative means to view the game, whether that be a restaurant/bar in the downtown/forks or go back from whence they came to watch at their local watering hole.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:44 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Probably more to do with having to many people in one location is generally not a good idea. After a certain point (25- 30,000 at the street party and 15,000 inside the arena) there is probably increased concerns with safety ie. higher probability of fights, vandalism, theft from stores.

After a certain point, there isn't any additional benefit to downtown businesses. Bars and restaurants are already packed with only 10,000 additional people in the downtown area during the game (on top of the 15,000 in the arena who may go to an establishment immediately afterwards).

I am in favor of doing away with the tickets though. Once it is packed in the designated areas, people who are turned away will simply have to find an alternative means to view the game, whether that be a restaurant/bar in the downtown/forks or go back from whence they came to watch at their local watering hole.
Yup.

I've had a few friends from Thompson wanting to make the last minute trip down to Winnipeg, only to encounter the ticketing system for this round, and sold out in an hour. Obviously, they were furious, and had to cancel that idea.

There are so many factors at play here, but generally, this is a story where safety has taken too much of a grasp to inconvenience on everybody who wanted to go, including myself.

I hope they solve this whole issue before Sunday's Game 5, because one way or another, I'm going to that Whiteout Party.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Yup.

I've had a few friends from Thompson wanting to make the last minute trip down to Winnipeg, only to encounter the ticketing system for this round, and sold out in an hour. Obviously, they were furious, and had to cancel that idea.

There are so many factors at play here, but generally, this is a story where safety has taken too much of a grasp to inconvenience on everybody who wanted to go, including myself.

I hope they solve this whole issue before Sunday's Game 5, because one way or another, I'm going to that Whiteout Party.
I'm not a lawyer but I wonder if there aren't potential liability issues at play here.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:58 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I'm not a lawyer but I wonder if there aren't potential liability issues at play here.
That's what security is for. Granted, their job is not babysitting though.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
That's what security is for. Granted, their job is not babysitting though.
I mean that in a worst case scenario where something bad happened could true north be held liable if they hadn't taken "reasonable steps" to manage crowd size. that type of thing..

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:52 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I mean that in a worst case scenario where something bad happened could true north be held liable if they hadn't taken "reasonable steps" to manage crowd size. that type of thing..
Well they seemed to manage it fine when it reached capacity in the previous two rounds. Hell, 27,000 is definitely the limit. This shouldn't be any different than any games at Iggy Field during the Bombers regular season, and the stadium capactiy is 33,000 at IG Field, and over 29,000 at the old CanadInns Stadium.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:42 AM

So 100,000+ people can regularly gather in other cities for NASCAR events; 80,000+ for NFL games, 80,000+ for large music festivals. But we can't handle 40,000? Did the city burn down during the War Child concert in 2000? What about any of the Grey Cups we've hosted? Was the city destroyed after AC/DC played the stadium?

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 10:32 AM
BANNED

Sorry about derailing the thread.

I just realized that life is too short to get worked up over some minor issue.

Great photos guys!

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 11:36 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
So 100,000+ people can regularly gather in other cities for NASCAR events; 80,000+ for NFL games, 80,000+ for large music festivals. But we can't handle 40,000? Did the city burn down during the War Child concert in 2000? What about any of the Grey Cups we've hosted? Was the city destroyed after AC/DC played the stadium?
My thoughts exactly.

Anywho... back to the topic at hand...

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediger View Post
aren't all of those ticketed events? sorry...last comment.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Well they seemed to manage it fine when it reached capacity in the previous two rounds. Hell, 27,000 is definitely the limit. This shouldn't be any different than any games at Iggy Field during the Bombers regular season, and the stadium capactiy is 33,000 at IG Field, and over 29,000 at the old CanadInns Stadium.
I heard that the issue is more crowd management in the event something happens in the BellMTS. If it needs to be evacuated, how do you do that when at least 2/3 exits on the main floor lead right into huge crowds? it doesn't have to be fear of terrorism but even fire hazards. BellMTS's evacuation plan isn't really up to snuff because their plan doesn't factor in 15-30000 people blocking the exits.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:35 PM
What could go wrong?

Funny how the Winnipeg Jets thread is nice and orderly talking about the playoffs and signing of players.....and every other thread here is about the Winnipeg Jets street party.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Funny how the Winnipeg Jets thread is nice and orderly talking about the playoffs and signing of players.....and every other thread here is about the Winnipeg Jets street party.
Sorry Biff, it just sucks you in. I forgot I was in a different thread. We just don't want to taint the Jets thread with negativity.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:53 PM

^ In fairness, the Jets are kind of dominating everything in town these days. So it's in keeping with the overall spirit of things

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan